Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

On 1/24/2018 at 1:55 PM, TAGC said:

I had two interviews last year and they were completely different from each other.  One was a one hour long panel interview that was very geared towards me and my background.  They asked some questions about "what would you do if you were a genetic counselor and a patient came in asking x?" but they also asked me how I got into the field I'm in now and why I was choosing to change fields and questions very specific to my past volunteer work.  They also asked off-the-cuff follow up questions based on the answers I gave.

The other school was a full-day with multi-mini interviews.  Each mini interview had a specific set of questions/activities/scenarios that they went through with no variation.  Then at the end of the day they had a more personal interview, where they asked about what I was looking for in a program, why I wanted to be a genetic counselor, and where I saw myself in the field, etc.  Even though this portion was more personal, it was still a specific set of questions with no variation between applicants.

Thank you, this is helpful!

On 1/25/2018 at 12:04 PM, sunT said:

I have 0 idea what they meant by "a feel for your personality" and no idea what goes on behind the scenes. So I'm definitely speculating here. But having interviewed undergraduate students for research positions before, it might be a way of saying they had trouble connecting with you. If an interviewer can't latch on to something in particular (e.g. your story, an experience, your charisma), it's hard for them to distinguish you from other candidates. A lot of people give advice to "be yourself" at interviews, which I think is a roundabout way of saying, be different and show them how that uniquely contributes to your desire to be a genetic counselor. If you don't feel "different", sometimes being a really genuine individual is different enough. 

This is great insight, sunT, thank you for offering your perspective.  One question I remember being asked repeatedly last year was essentially, "Why do you want to be a genetic counselor?"  In my case, it was more specifically, "Why do you want to leave your established career [in genomic research] to be a genetic counselor?", so I have been thinking of the best way to convey the answer to that question.  I will have quite a bit more shadowing and advocacy experience to speak from after this last year, and I look forward to being able to draw from that as well this time around.  It would be good for me to really think about what distinguishes me, aside from my magnetic personality, ha ha, because obviously that didn't quite do the trick last year! ;)

Good morning everyone!

I just wanted to stop in and remind everyone that, while I know this time is very stressful, you don't want to neglect your own emotional and physical well-being. We're applying for a field with high burn out, so self care is going to be a vital skill for our futures! Go do something that makes you feel good and less stressed this weekend!

My self care: last night I went to dinner with friends, then we went back to one of the women's houses to play games. Simple, fun, needed.

12 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

Congrats! Do you know what day you're going, has it been confirmed? Maybe we have the same interview day?

Thank you!  My date was just confirmed for 2/22.  Looks like yours in the next week ~ good luck to us!

Hey guys,

I’m not sure how many of you guys have used discord before but it’s an online communications app (there’s an easy to use mobile app) with text/voice channels. I wanted to see if anyone was interested in having one set up for GC students/applicants to interact and chat informally with each other. It might be easier to get to know each other and bounce questions back and forth and get help practicing interviews.

Edit: there’s an option to add roles so we could distinguish current students from applicants and the app lends its self to being more versatile in general than forums are. 

Edited by HSGC2017

2 hours ago, HSGC2017 said:

Hey guys,

I’m not sure how many of you guys have used discord before but it’s an online communications app (there’s an easy to use mobile app) with text/voice channels. I wanted to see if anyone was interested in having one set up for GC students/applicants to interact and chat informally with each other. It might be easier to get to know each other and bounce questions back and forth and get help practicing interviews.

Edit: there’s an option to add roles so we could distinguish current students from applicants and the app lends its self to being more versatile in general than forums are. 

how would we go about starting one?

1 hour ago, Brifeir said:

how would we go about starting one?

I could set one up, I’m pretty familiar with them and they’re free, I’ll work on it some tomorrow and if anyone else is familiar with discord inbox me to help out :)

Hey guys! I just created this account- what a fabulous group to get feedback about current applications and schools! This is my first year applying and submitted applications to 5 schools. I'm pretty nervous about how competitive this program is so it's good to know I'm not the only one biting my nails waiting to hear back about interviews!

Quick question- how flexible are programs when it comes to scheduling interviews? For context, I accepted an interview with MN and scheduled it for late March. I grew up in MN but at the moment I live and work full time in the UK! Tbh, I just can't afford to fly back and forth for interviews if I can't schedule them all within a week or two (nor do I have much vacation time to spend). Will I be shooting myself in the foot by asking for skype interviews or asking to interview on a date not offered by the program? I'm willing to quit my job if it means I'm able to put my best foot forward for in-person interviews (assuming I'm invited to more than just the one).

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, zieg_gc said:

Hey guys! I just created this account- what a fabulous group to get feedback about current applications and schools! This is my first year applying and submitted applications to 5 schools. I'm pretty nervous about how competitive this program is so it's good to know I'm not the only one biting my nails waiting to hear back about interviews!

Quick question- how flexible are programs when it comes to scheduling interviews? For context, I accepted an interview with MN and scheduled it for late March. I grew up in MN but at the moment I live and work full time in the UK! Tbh, I just can't afford to fly back and forth for interviews if I can't schedule them all within a week or two (nor do I have much vacation time to spend). Will I be shooting myself in the foot by asking for skype interviews or asking to interview on a date not offered by the program? I'm willing to quit my job if it means I'm able to put my best foot forward for in-person interviews (assuming I'm invited to more than just the one).

Thoughts?

I got the impression from most schools that if you're international they can accommodate with a skype interview, never hurts to ask

I found this article on Boise's prospective program particularly interesting: https://arbiteronline.com/nations-first-fully-online-masters-in-genetic-counseling-to-be-offered-at-boise-state/

I'm not sure I'd love a fully online program, but I do see them trying to fill a gap in accessibility for certain students. Anyone have any thoughts? Even, Bay Path's hybrid program was considered unique/risque, so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out. 

14 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

I found this article on Boise's prospective program particularly interesting: https://arbiteronline.com/nations-first-fully-online-masters-in-genetic-counseling-to-be-offered-at-boise-state/

I'm not sure I'd love a fully online program, but I do see them trying to fill a gap in accessibility for certain students. Anyone have any thoughts? Even, Bay Path's hybrid program was considered unique/risque, so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out. 

I've avoided programs that have more than one online class because I can't learn like that but i can understand why online programs would appeal to people with families or jobs they can't leave etc. I just don't understand how a program can be fully online, because summer semester and the 2nd year at most programs is ~70% clinical rotations so how does that work? I also wonder how the research component would be factored in. I know that most fields these days have online programs, even interpersonal ones like social work and education, but they all require some sort of fieldwork so nothing is ever fully  online. I'm also curious as to why Boise is jumping straight to fully online and not starting a traditional program first, because I'm sure many people would apply if they did! 

16 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

I've avoided programs that have more than one online class because I can't learn like that but i can understand why online programs would appeal to people with families or jobs they can't leave etc. I just don't understand how a program can be fully online, because summer semester and the 2nd year at most programs is ~70% clinical rotations so how does that work? I also wonder how the research component would be factored in. I know that most fields these days have online programs, even interpersonal ones like social work and education, but they all require some sort of fieldwork so nothing is ever fully  online. I'm also curious as to why Boise is jumping straight to fully online and not starting a traditional program first, because I'm sure many people would apply if they did! 

I'm not sure where I heard it, but I think that the Boise program coordinates with clinical sites in the student's area. Not sure if they have pre-appointed ones picked out across the country or if they approach them when the time comes. Either way, I'm curious to see how it works for them!

2 hours ago, karyotyping said:

Also for those of you who may be interested in east coast schools for Fall 2019, it looks like my alma mater, UCONN is shooting to have their program up and running by then: https://geneticcounseling.uconn.edu/

Interesting! I'm still 1-2 years away from applying. I love hearing about potential new programs! I check the accreditation programs page occasionally and UCONN isn't there yet. I've also heard rumors about a UCLA program and a new NY program (can't remember the school). Is a google news alert the best way to keep track? How quickly can a program get up and running?

Also, good luck to all current applicants! I'm rooting for you and I hope to work with you in the future!

18 minutes ago, gene13 said:

Interesting! I'm still 1-2 years away from applying. I love hearing about potential new programs! I check the accreditation programs page occasionally and UCONN isn't there yet. I've also heard rumors about a UCLA program and a new NY program (can't remember the school). Is a google news alert the best way to keep track? How quickly can a program get up and running?

Also, good luck to all current applicants! I'm rooting for you and I hope to work with you in the future!

One of the best places to keep track is the member list on the AGCPD site: https://agcpd.org/ProgramDirectory.aspx
The associated members are those closer to accreditation/already started the process; the affiliated members seem to be those interested/have rotations through their hospital etc/in the planning phase (for example UConn and UCLA are both affiliated members). 

Program start up times vary a lot, previously it was 6-8 months, but with a new policy ACGC put into place, the time line is closer to 8-12 months (these times are not including all preparation work programs have to do before they put in for accreditation). They will only review 3 schools/quarter (or semester I can't remember) which limits how many can get through. This doesn't include them also having to re-new accreditations for current programs. 

Edited by AspiringGC

Hey all!

I just started reading tonight (a little late to forum!), but it's so cool to read about everyone else's experiences/struggles of applying to GC programs. I'm a first time applicant and I'm applying to Baylor, USC, UNCG, UMichigan, SLC and Mt. Sinai--so far have only heard from UNCG. I feel decent about my GPA/GRE and experience, but pretty nervous about how interviews will shake out.. :wacko: If anyone applied to Baylor/is considering it/has questions I'd be more than happy to answer whatever I can. I did their genetic counseling internship with them this summer (June-early August) and it was amazing. They're a new program, which can be a little nerve-wracking, but I would definitely encourage you all to consider them highly :) If people are looking for more experience or not applying till later, their internship was incredible and I think really, really prepared me to apply. Hope everyone gets good news about interviews from schools soon!

2 hours ago, French75 said:

Hey all!

I just started reading tonight (a little late to forum!), but it's so cool to read about everyone else's experiences/struggles of applying to GC programs. I'm a first time applicant and I'm applying to Baylor, USC, UNCG, UMichigan, SLC and Mt. Sinai--so far have only heard from UNCG. I feel decent about my GPA/GRE and experience, but pretty nervous about how interviews will shake out.. :wacko: If anyone applied to Baylor/is considering it/has questions I'd be more than happy to answer whatever I can. I did their genetic counseling internship with them this summer (June-early August) and it was amazing. They're a new program, which can be a little nerve-wracking, but I would definitely encourage you all to consider them highly :) If people are looking for more experience or not applying till later, their internship was incredible and I think really, really prepared me to apply. Hope everyone gets good news about interviews from schools soon!

I'd love any info you have on Baylor. I'm pretty interested in them!

Has anyone set up an account with Stanislaus (after receiving a letter in mail) and have the status application incomplete because they're waiting on residency and tuition determination? I was under the impression we only had to send back the forms and letters if we were trying to claim California residency but otherwise you would be good

10 minutes ago, GCo.Hopeful said:

Has anyone set up an account with Stanislaus (after receiving a letter in mail) and have the status application incomplete because they're waiting on residency and tuition determination? I was under the impression we only had to send back the forms and letters if we were trying to claim California residency but otherwise you would be good

I actually completely ignored the letter, thinking I'd only bother with it if I got an interview.  Maybe I should go back and read it more thoroughly :-s