Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

4 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

I don't remember, but I'm sure there were some questions on the app that alluded to if you are diverse or underrepresented.

Well, that makes me nervous. I would consider myself diverse (Maybe?). I haven't heard anything :'( 

4 minutes ago, GeneDawg said:

Well, that makes me nervous. I would consider myself diverse (Maybe?). I haven't heard anything :'( 

That makes me nervous as well... I'm for sure diverse... I am Chinese haha. 

10 minutes ago, slb25 said:

This is a general question that I’ve been thinking of over the last few days: do you feel like they have their top picks already picked out?  I know that Cincinnati interviews 48 but only can accept 12. Do you think they have the top 12 already ranked and want to see how they do in the interview? Or do you feel like those 48 all have an equal chance for the 12 spots?

I'd say all 48 likely have equal chance or are put in broad arrangements of "highly like", "like", "interested", etc. But interviews are more heavily weighed than your application. So you may be going in as just interested but bounce up to "highly liked" based on how you interact/perform then.

Guys after reading that the Cincinnati interview offers are for diverse applicants I had a mini heart attack bcz I don't have anything in my mail yet. I emailed the program coordinator and she said that I will get the interview decision tomorrow. I don't know if my inquiry made me look desperate but I was worried. My point is for us, diverse students, we still have 2moro. 

N I don't remember mentioning my ethnicity anywhere in the application. 

Edited by FutureGC7

8 minutes ago, GeneDawg said:

5 minutes ago, LM1994 said:

That makes me nervous as well... I'm for sure diverse... I am Chinese haha. 

I think they are considering this as applicants who are foreign (like currently living in another country) or maybe even 1st generation in the US, have parents who didn't go to college, etc... I can't say that for sure 100%, but that would be my guess.

4 minutes ago, FutureGC7 said:

Guys after reading that the interview offers are for diverse applicants I had a mini heart attack bcz I don't have anything in my mail yet. I emailed the program coordinator and she said that I will get the interview decision tomorrow. I don't know if that made me look desperate but I worried. My point is for us diverse students we still have 2moro. N I don't remember mentioning my ethnicity anywhere in the application. I wonder how they know. 

Thanks! That makes me feel much better. I was feeling devastated, because I thought I had a good chance at Cincinnati. I was summer intern for their GC program.

34 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

i wouldn't take this as a rejection yet! They invited 8 people for this interview but its the diversity day one so it might be different 

Thank you for the encouragement, but I just called. She checked in the system. I'm not one of the 48. However, she says I'd be a waitlist if someone turns down an interview (unlikely, but I guess you never know!)

5 minutes ago, GeneDawg said:

Thanks! That makes me feel much better. I was feeling devastated, because I thought I had a good chance at Cincinnati. I was summer intern for their GC program.

You still have a better chance than me ! I think you will get it. Fingers crossed for all of us. 

I think I m gna stay away from the forum for a bit. This place is awesome but I panicked and emailed them. I don't think it's a good thing. ?

5 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

That program looks so cool! Things I wish I would have known about back when I was an undergrad!!!

I don't think they had the program back then. This summer was their first time ever organizing it. 

40 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

I'd say all 48 likely have equal chance or are put in broad arrangements of "highly like", "like", "interested", etc. But interviews are more heavily weighed than your application. So you may be going in as just interested but bounce up to "highly liked" based on how you interact/perform then.

I was kind of thinking the same thing.

To the diverse students: they may have gotten information from the FAFSA? I’m not sure what information they actually can retrieve from it but I know that they have special grants / scholarships for diverse students; so I am sure they get some type of information to help them prepare the financial aid offer?

4 minutes ago, daisyhunter said:

I can't decide if I should email U Cinci and ask... I am scared :/

You can just call, too. She's really nice and sometimes it's better to know than not know. It's more up to your personality type, I think. I would rather flat out be told NO than hold out hope that's an illusion (I'm one of those people that hates surprises though, haha).

Regardless, she said they're going out for the rest of the day so you're not out of the game yet! 

16 minutes ago, Raerae32 said:

Has anyone else heard from Rutgers recently??

Only two people on the results page have heard from Rutgers, so I haven't lost hope yet.

I think we need a new category besides accepted/rejected called "limbo", meaning "others have interviews, but I don't have an official rejection yet"

20 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

You can just call, too. She's really nice and sometimes it's better to know than not know. It's more up to your personality type, I think. I would rather flat out be told NO than hold out hope that's an illusion (I'm one of those people that hates surprises though, haha).

Regardless, she said they're going out for the rest of the day so you're not out of the game yet! 

Who did people email? 

2 minutes ago, TAGC said:

Only two people on the results page have heard from Rutgers, so I haven't lost hope yet.

I think we need a new category besides accepted/rejected called "limbo", meaning "others have interviews, but I don't have an official rejection yet"

Yea I just want to know! 

Did anyone hear back from UNCG regarding being hosted by a student overnight while interviewing? I am interviewing on the 5th of February and they haven't confirmed anything yet.