Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

3 minutes ago, jpmcm0 said:

Just got a call from Rutgers about an interview! Good thing because I emailed Brandeis and they finally told me it was a no.

My stress level just went up about 4x now! I'm worried about my Rutgers app because I kept getting emails saying they were missing materials even after I emailed to double check that they had everything they needed and they confirmed that yes they did have everything. 

5 minutes ago, HelenM said:

Yeah I completely understand about the class size. I did consider it, but also though bigger class size is more chance of acceptance (maybe?) haha and 25-30 is not uncontrollably large but def. not the same. The program I am in now has a class size of 4 and we have all our professors numbers and sometimes just text them for help :lol: pretty funny and nice to be close with them

Yes the acceptance rate will definitely be higher for it. And SLC does have like 3 scholarship tracks in the Match. But I am actually wishing for a small class size where I can get enough guidance from all professors and have a mentor. 

Bdw which program are you in?

4 minutes ago, FutureGC7 said:

Yes the acceptance rate will definitely be higher for it. And SLC does have like 3 scholarship tracks in the Match. But I am actually wishing for a small class size where I can get enough guidance from all professors and have a mentor. 

Bdw which program are you in?

I am in an MSc for Diagnostic Genetics program. It's in a small school at MD Anderson called School of Health Professions

So I emailed Minnesota to ask about whether or not they were going to give me an interview, and they said no. :( I'm super surprised because I interviewed there last year and was waitlisted. Has this happened to anyone else?

3 minutes ago, soon2beGC said:

So I emailed Minnesota to ask about whether or not they were going to give me an interview, and they said no. :( I'm super surprised because I interviewed there last year and was waitlisted. Has this happened to anyone else?

I didn't interview last year, but I also emailed and asked and it was a no /:

8 minutes ago, soon2beGC said:

So I emailed Minnesota to ask about whether or not they were going to give me an interview, and they said no. :( Has this happened to anyone else?

Hey I got the same response just now. ? Didn't get an interview last time either. I worked on their feedback and improved my application as much as I could. Sucks to not get an opportunity to atleast interview twice in a row. ?

Edited by FutureGC7

5 minutes ago, soon2beGC said:

I have worked with two genetic counselors who have had this happen to them. They were wait listed at a program one year and then not even an interview the next. It made me a tad nervous when they told me this because I only interviewed at one school last year and I would be pretty devastated if I didn't receive an interview from them this time around.

But the good news is that those two are now genetic counselors, so they survived the process despite being rejected by places that wait listed them the year before.We still have hope haha.

7 minutes ago, soon2beGC said:

Forgot to add this on to my other comment, but your situation of people interviewing and then not getting asked back to interview the following year is more common than we think. I've heard a handful of people voice it already this year, and I remember people saying it on last year's thread as well. The pool of applicants change every year and sometimes we move up and sometimes we move down. Interviews are a large part determining if our personality will fit in their program, and sometimes they decide we won't fit. I'm a little nervous about getting invited back to Augustana because their feedback was that my app was great but at the interviews the "didn't get a feel for my personality"... so who knows. 

5 minutes ago, Raerae32 said:

Did those who recently received calls about Rutgers know when they will be letting everyone know?

No, but seeing as they are calling I'd guess they won't get through all today.

19 minutes ago, hb_94 said:

But the good news is that those two are now genetic counselors, so they survived the process despite being rejected by places that wait listed them the year before.We still have hope haha.

That's good to know. It's good that we add universities the 2nd time we apply. Re-applying only to the same universities seems risky. 

We all definitely still have hope. 

Edited by FutureGC7

8 minutes ago, jpmcm0 said:

No, but seeing as they are calling I'd guess they won't get through all today.

When did you submit your app? Since their due date was only 10 days ago I'm wondering if they're doing rolling offers like Ohio did, or if they legitimately have already reviewed all their apps.

Thanks for all the comments back, guys. :) It's good to hear it's a fairly common occurrence, because I freaked out thinking I had royally screwed up the interview last year.

@Nefelibata  they didn't get a feel for your personality? What does that even mean? :blink:

8 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

When did you submit your app? Since their due date was only 10 days ago I'm wondering if they're doing rolling offers like Ohio did, or if they legitimately have already reviewed all their apps.

I applied on Decmeber 5th so rolling is possible!

35 minutes ago, HelenM said:

I am in an MSc for Diagnostic Genetics program. It's in a small school at MD Anderson called School of Health Professions

Diagnostic Genetic people represent! I'm a Cytogenetics tech and one of my colleagues went through the MD Anderson program :) What's your concentration? 

9 minutes ago, soon2beGC said:

@Nefelibata  they didn't get a feel for your personality? What does that even mean? :blink:

That's kind of what I was wondering too haha. I'm not sure if my nerves made me come off as shy or if I was taking it as a more serious job-like interview and was being overly professional? I'm not completely sure but I'm going to try to make sure I am personable in my interviews this year!

54 minutes ago, soon2beGC said:

I've been rejected from one school I interviewed at last year and (presumably) rejected from another that waitlisted me last year, so... yeah. 

29 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

I submitted my initial application to Rutgers on November 17th, but slowly uploaded my supplementary documents throughout December.  On December 20th I got an e-mail from them asking if I could please attach my last two documents so that they could get my application to a faculty member before Christmas.  I think that means they're doing rolling admissions, since they were looking at the application almost a month before the due date.  I haven't received a call from them though, so getting my stuff in before Christmas may not have helped.

24 minutes ago, karyotyping said:

Diagnostic Genetic people represent! I'm a Cytogenetics tech and one of my colleagues went through the MD Anderson program :) What's your concentration? 

Oh how cool !!!My track is cytogenetics. I wanted the molecular but got put in cyto track and just went with it. Hopefully will give me some credibility as a scientist in my applications!

Where do you work?

9 minutes ago, HelenM said:

Oh how cool !!!My track is cytogenetics. I wanted the molecular but got put in cyto track and just went with it. Hopefully will give me some credibility as a scientist in my applications!

Where do you work?

Cyto is great! I'm not sure about the program you're in, but I went through the UCONN program which included a lot of clinical information on chromosomal syndromes and a course involving ethics and genetics. I think that going through a cyto/molecular program will definitely strengthen your application (at least I'm hoping!). At least for me, I feel like it gave me a lot of exposure into genetic testing as GCs will have to be familiar with the type of testing a cyto/ mol tech does.

Currently I'm at Dartmouth. It's a smaller lab, but hospital labs usually are compared to commercial labs. One good thing about DH is that I was able to shadow 4 GCs relatively easily because I was already a hospital employee :) Have you gone on any rotations yet?