Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

3 hours ago, KCGC said:

Has anyone else found issues with your recommenders not submitting letters of rec on time or very very close to the deadline? It really stresses me out.

Lads year i had that problem. I emailed two week and then one week reminders. She did eventually get them in in time. 

Happy New Year everyone! Here's to getting into a program this year! :)

Question for those applying to Colorado, I can't seem to access my application b/c the scroll down options for selecting a master's program (under academic interest) isn't working for me and genetic counseling isn't available. Is anyone else having this problem??

On 12/31/2017 at 2:55 PM, KCGC said:

Has anyone else found issues with your recommenders not submitting letters of rec on time or very very close to the deadline? It really stresses me out.

One of my recommenders submitted her letter for all but 3 of my schools and I sent her like 3 email reminders over the last week and a half but she didn't submit for one of my schools that was due last night so I'm def stressing about that. She was out of the office all this last week and I'm hoping the school will give a little bit of leeway since New Years is considered a holiday for most places so maybe they'll be okay if she submits it tomorrow when she is back in the office... crossing my fingers and probably simultaneously growing a stress ulcer. 

I feel very behind that I've only submitted 3 applications thus far. However last year I was a maniac and turned them all in the first week of december, and was later told it actually didn't matter at all how early I turned it in, as long as it was in by the cut off. Has anyone else heard similar? Now I'm paranoid. 

3 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I feel very behind that I've only submitted 3 applications thus far. However last year I was a maniac and turned them all in the first week of december, and was later told it actually didn't matter at all how early I turned it in, as long as it was in by the cut off. Has anyone else heard similar? Now I'm paranoid. 

As far as I know, it doesn't matter unless the school specifies that they have an early application date.  If they only have one date listed, then I think it's all the same.

On 1/1/2018 at 1:04 AM, bryvy said:

Happy New Year everyone! Here's to getting into a program this year! :)

Question for those applying to Colorado, I can't seem to access my application b/c the scroll down options for selecting a master's program (under academic interest) isn't working for me and genetic counseling isn't available. Is anyone else having this problem??

@bryvyI emailed miranda.mcdevitt@ucdenver.edu and she told me that the application is open until 11:59 PM 1/2/18 due to that error. So try looking again!

Edited by Bonesteele

1 hour ago, Bonesteele said:

@bryvyI emailed miranda.mcdevitt@ucdenver.edu and she told me that the application is open until 11:59 PM 1/2/18 due to that error. So try looking again!

Same, she just got back to me as well :) thanks for the update!

Edited by bryvy

20 hours ago, Blizzard said:

As far as I know, for a majority of the schools it doesn't matter how early you turn in your applications. For some schools it might make a difference depending on how interested in you they are, because some schools with late due dates will offer interviews on a rolling basis before their due date comes around (i.e., Augustana last year). I'm sure they keep a "maybe" pile to review after their due date comes around and all their applications have been seen to then decide if they want to interview those ones. I imagine this is also what Ohio State does with the people who applied for the Dec 1st date - if they didn't offer interview last week, they probably put the remaining apps in a "review again after real due date" pile. Other schools simply have a set date(s) when they will notify students they would like to interview and when you hear isn't going to change whether you submitted your app 1 month or 1 minute early.

I mailed in a transcript to Michigan back in November. Then panicked about it going to the wrong school, so I sent an e-transcript on December 15th. I received confirmation from the e-transcript delivery service that the transcript was retrieved on December 21. But my UM friend account still shows that they haven't received my transcript. I called and they said they were backlogged. But that's pretty far backlogged... I just get worried that I sent it to the wrong email address or something.

Did anyone send in a transcript later and have confirmation that UM received it?

I swear, if I have to do this again, I will send in my transcripts in September. New Years resolution.

22 minutes ago, NewAtThis said:

I mailed in a transcript to Michigan back in November. Then panicked about it going to the wrong school, so I sent an e-transcript on December 15th. I received confirmation from the e-transcript delivery service that the transcript was retrieved on December 21. But my UM friend account still shows that they haven't received my transcript. I called and they said they were backlogged. But that's pretty far backlogged... I just get worried that I sent it to the wrong email address or something.

Did anyone send in a transcript later and have confirmation that UM received it?

I swear, if I have to do this again, I will send in my transcripts in September. New Years resolution.

I sent an e-transcript in late December (after my fall semester ended) and it says they received it 2 days ago. I forget if we were actually supposed to send official community college transcripts to Michigan or not but I did send one a long time ago and it says not received... but idk if it was even required to send it? If it's free maybe you can send an e-transcript again? Honestly thats the way to go because its just an email and it will come up as one of their more recent ones so they might be more likely to open it. Also keep in mind that the university was closed over winter break so they just started looking at stuff Tuesday! 

20 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

I sent an e-transcript in late December (after my fall semester ended) and it says they received it 2 days ago. I forget if we were actually supposed to send official community college transcripts to Michigan or not but I did send one a long time ago and it says not received... 

Sorry, I'm just clarifying. Your UM friend account said it was received two days ago? or your e-transcript exchange says that they received it?
They definitely go in order of when they received it. When I called last month, they said they were working on transcripts received on Dec 13th and would be onto December 15th on a later date...etc.

25 minutes ago, NewAtThis said:

Sorry, I'm just clarifying. Your UM friend account said it was received two days ago? or your e-transcript exchange says that they received it?
They definitely go in order of when they received it. When I called last month, they said they were working on transcripts received on Dec 13th and would be onto December 15th on a later date...etc.

The UM friend account shows that it was received 2 days ago! I sent an e-transcript back in October and it was never retrieved and neither was the one I sent in December so maybe they don't retrieve it and just forward it to the department?

oh wow, so that means it probably got sent to wrong address or something. I really appreciate you telling me! I think I will take your advice and send a new one. It is not free. But it 's only $2. @hfj23

Edited by NewAtThis
forgot to tag as response

Now that I have one interview, it has surprisingly made the waiting process harder. 

Even worse, I think I am so anxious about dates because I just started a new job so my 90 days isn't until April 4th... and I haven't mentioned that I am applying to grad school. I told them up front I had a vacation already planned for early March, but now I may need random days here an there. I am actually hoping for April interview (like UT's on 4/6) so I can try my hardest NOT to take time off or fake call in sick.. Cuz I really do like my new position already! I don't want to make a few "silly" mistakes during my 90 days to ruin my chances of staying on board IF I don't get in again this year. 

Maybe I should have sucked it up at my previous position, but I'm soo glad for the switch. I am working in a medical lab that mainly does pathology reports on skin samples. I've learned so much already and am getting to actively use medical terminology, ICD-10 codes, and other cool healthcare stuff.  

10 hours ago, NewAtThis said:

When did you submit your application? I sent my transcripts in September and my UM friend account still shows that it hasn't been received, but the email they sent me after I created my account said it could take up to 5 business days to show that they've received application materials and it's only been 4 business days since I submitted. I'm just kind of panicking since the deadline is today. I don't want them to not have my transcripts when they start reviewing even though I sent them months ago.

1 hour ago, GCBrittany said:

Woo! Just hit submit on my final application! 

Funny, when I started the app process, I thought I'd feel so relieved once I finished them. Now I'm more nervous than ever! Come on March! 

Gosh I'm envious! I have two more to submit myself, but I'll likely get them in by the end of this week

12 hours ago, GCEZ said:

When did you submit your application? I sent my transcripts in September and my UM friend account still shows that it hasn't been received, but the email they sent me after I created my account said it could take up to 5 business days to show that they've received application materials and it's only been 4 business days since I submitted. I'm just kind of panicking since the deadline is today. I don't want them to not have my transcripts when they start reviewing even though I sent them months ago.

I submitted my application on Christmas and re-sent an e transcript on the Dec 29 (because they couldn't find the one I sent in November) they opened it on Jan 3 and I just checked wolverine access and it says received today. I think as long as you have a copy of your unofficial transcript on the application, you should be okay (according to the graduate school admissions)

Edited by LM1994