Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

20 hours ago, hfj23 said:

I'm also applying to UC! I've talked to a current student who had nothing but good things to say about it so I'm hoping for an interview at least. The only thing I have left to do is the dreaded video essay <_< Also waiting for my semester to end so I can upload a transcript that shows my grades up till now.

It sounds like you have a ton of experience and re-applicants seem to be looked upon favorably so I think you have a shot at getting an interview this time around! Good luck!! Also I think with the match program we are all notified on the exact same day regardless of the number of schools. Even the schools themselves won't know till April 27! 

Thanks for the match info! To prepare for the video I thought of possible questions they would ask at the interview and prepared responses and practiced ahead of time! I kind of looked at it like a job interview & preparing for it.  I think if you do that you will at least have something to work with and not be caught off guard!      

Has anyone interviewed before? I know they say if you get called in to interview they are just determining if you are the right fit or not.  I’m wondering is it structured like a job interview or is it more casual as far as questions go?  I’m worried about the interview sometimes I feel like stating what is in my head doesn’t always come across the best way.  I’m hoping I don’t get scared and my mind goes blank ha! 

Hi Everyone!

I'm a bio major graduating this year and am super nervous about this whole process. I currently have a 3.69 GPA (it will go up because I should have a 4.0 this semester) and will have all of he pre-reqs besides biochem completed by the end of this fall. 2 of the classes I'm taking this fall are intro psych and genes and heredity and I should be getting the A in both (hopefully :) ) I've never gotten lower than a B in many of my prereqs (or classes in general) and my GRE scores are 157 (76th) for verbal and 160 (76th) for quant. I've shadowed a prenatal genetic counselor, interned for a cancer genetic counselor, and attended a genetic counseling bootcamp a few summers back. I've been on my school's crisis line for a year and have some biology TA experience. I saw that knowing other languages helps which was good because I know 3 others besides english (hebrew, spanish, and American Sign). I don't have a double major or minor which I know a lot of people have, and I'm not huge into research so my only research experience is this lab I'm in right now that is research heavy so I hope that helps.

My TOP TOP TOP choice is Boston U, so if any second time applicants or current/past BU students (or anyone really) have any advice for my application or can let me know if I have shot here, it would be so reassuring!! Also applying to Indiana U, Brandeis, Mt. Sinai, UTHealth, Arcadia, and VCU, with Brandeis being my #2 choice after BU.

Thanks and good luck to all! 

Is anyone else having a heck of a time trying to get ahold of Indiana? I really wanted to apply there, but I've been calling them for the last week to see if i can submit just unofficial transcripts (they have that Dec. 15th deadline) since my official won't make it in time at this point, and no one will answer, or it transfers to the main line and no one seems to know who I should talk to. I left a voicemail with the director, but haven't heard anything.

12 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Is anyone else having a heck of a time trying to get ahold of Indiana? I really wanted to apply there, but I've been calling them for the last week to see if i can submit just unofficial transcripts (they have that Dec. 15th deadline) since my official won't make it in time at this point, and no one will answer, or it transfers to the main line and no one seems to know who I should talk to. I left a voicemail with the director, but haven't heard anything.

I know this isn't helpful, but I'm having the same trouble with UC Irvine :(

14 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Indiana U or state? I submitted my application to Indiana U already and got an email soon after on what materials they had from me and what they were expecting, and since i'm still in school, they said I should send my transcript once the semester ended (12/20ish). They also say to reply to the email if they should anticipate anything from you. So I think if you submit your app and reply to that email about how they can expect your transcript soon, you should be fine!

If you haven't already submitted your app for IU you may be in trouble though because they don't send out LoR requests until you submit the app unless you've already discussed that with your recommenders. Just a heads up in case you didn't know!

On 12/10/2017 at 11:39 AM, slb25 said:

Hi all,

I am a re-applicant this year.  I will only be applying to University of Cincinnati.  It would be nice to be able to apply to a lot of school but with a family relocation is out of the question.  I've done a lot in the last year to strengthen my application and have high hopes :)  I also and taking the cardiovascular genetics course they offer online (about halfway finished).  Is anyone else here applying to UC? Also, I am a bit older as worked after undergrad and started a family.  I have two kids (11 & 7).  Does anyone else have children?  I've started my application and pretty much have everything submitted besides my CV and personal statement.  They are done however I want to wait and see if I want to change anything before I officially submit LOL.  I plan on doing it before Christmas though that way I can stop being obsessed with it.  

I agree the bio's can be intimidating!  Just remember they want diversity though so try to play up what you can bring to the table and how you are unique.

I didn't get an interview last year which made me pretty bummed but I also know they got about 250 applications and only can take about 20% for interviews; out of that only 12 students are accepted (about 5% of applicants!!!).  Knowing this I really upped my game as far as hands on experience and shadowing goes.  Also, this is the first year both of my kids have been in school all day so I've had a lot more time on my hands to volunteer and get the additional experiences in.  

Before applying last time I had a few years crisis counseling, specifically took Human Genetics and Biochem to enhance my understanding of genetics.  My background is Psychology and I do have research experience although qualitative.  I was on the "maybe" interview list.

This year I started volunteering at 2 hospitals (adult cancer infusion & peds transplant unit), started job shadowing a gc, as well as attending genetic counseling information events at UC. 

I also feel my personal statement is much more relaxed and shows more of my personality vs. trying to present myself as the perfect applicant.  

Does anyone know with the match system if you only apply to one school if they can notify you early or will it still be in April?  Any feedback on the cardio class?  I know there is an exam but it's a lot of content and not all videos have sides you can print so its a lot of note taking!  I plan on studying my butt off to get an A I would imaging anything under a B wouldn't be good!!!

Good luck everyone :) 

I'm applying to UC! I am a few years out of undergrad also, no kids here, but I'm married and unfortunately there are no programs closer than 4 hrs to where we live now. I am hoping to get some interviews so I can try and emphasize how badly I want this. Nothing says commitment to your education like long term, long distance marriage eh? :)  Good luck!  

1 hour ago, hfj23 said:

Indiana U or state? I submitted my application to Indiana U already and got an email soon after on what materials they had from me and what they were expecting, and since i'm still in school, they said I should send my transcript once the semester ended (12/20ish). They also say to reply to the email if they should anticipate anything from you. So I think if you submit your app and reply to that email about how they can expect your transcript soon, you should be fine!

If you haven't already submitted your app for IU you may be in trouble though because they don't send out LoR requests until you submit the app unless you've already discussed that with your recommenders. Just a heads up in case you didn't know!

IU. My anatomy finals are this week, I'm working overtime and I don't like my PS, so I haven't submitted the application. Might be time to just throw caution to the wind and throw it in like it is! I have transfer credit from every community college under the sun, so sending transcripts is always a fun adventure. 

1 hour ago, Blizzard said:

IU. My anatomy finals are this week, I'm working overtime and I don't like my PS, so I haven't submitted the application. Might be time to just throw caution to the wind and throw it in like it is! I have transfer credit from every community college under the sun, so sending transcripts is always a fun adventure. 

I had a few questions I emailed back and forth a few times with the IU director about today so I can't say I've had any issues contacting her! I finally submitted my IU app today around noon. 3 down and many more to go!

5 hours ago, Brifeir said:

Hi Everyone!

I'm a bio major graduating this year and am super nervous about this whole process. I currently have a 3.69 GPA (it will go up because I should have a 4.0 this semester) and will have all of he pre-reqs besides biochem completed by the end of this fall. 2 of the classes I'm taking this fall are intro psych and genes and heredity and I should be getting the A in both (hopefully :) ) I've never gotten lower than a B in many of my prereqs (or classes in general) and my GRE scores are 157 (76th) for verbal and 160 (76th) for quant. I've shadowed a prenatal genetic counselor, interned for a cancer genetic counselor, and attended a genetic counseling bootcamp a few summers back. I've been on my school's crisis line for a year and have some biology TA experience. I saw that knowing other languages helps which was good because I know 3 others besides english (hebrew, spanish, and American Sign). I don't have a double major or minor which I know a lot of people have, and I'm not huge into research so my only research experience is this lab I'm in right now that is research heavy so I hope that helps.

My TOP TOP TOP choice is Boston U, so if any second time applicants or current/past BU students (or anyone really) have any advice for my application or can let me know if I have shot here, it would be so reassuring!! Also applying to Indiana U, Brandeis, Mt. Sinai, UTHealth, Arcadia, and VCU, with Brandeis being my #2 choice after BU.

Thanks and good luck to all! 

I think it sounds like you have a great application! Honestly I don't think research is a huge concern for too many schools. There are some that are definitely more into it than others, but I wouldn't worry about not having too much research experience. Otherwise it sounds like you've checked all the boxes for everything else! I would say you have a pretty good shot of at least interviewing. 

15 hours ago, Nefelibata said:

I had a few questions I emailed back and forth a few times with the IU director about today so I can't say I've had any issues contacting her! I finally submitted my IU app today around noon. 3 down and many more to go!

sending you a pm!

Hey! Not sure if anyone is applying for the M.S/Ph.D. dual-degree at Virginia Commonwealth but I emailed the program and asked how that worked with the match because there is no track that is specific for that route. They said that if accepted to the dual-degree program they would let you know in March and the applicant would then be taken out of the match! I feel like this is good news since I was worried about having to rank without being able to specify the dual degree aspect. Just wanted to let anyone else who is in this boat know what I heard. 

7 hours ago, CdnGC123 said:

Should I put my pre-req courses and GRE scores on every CV or only the one's that require it? I don;t want it to go over 2 pages :/

I put it on each one unless a school had a specified page limit for the CV and did not require it on there.  The couple webinars I listened to said as long as a CV wasn't 6 pages there wasn't a "max" page limit so I included it on those and mine was 3 pages total.

7 hours ago, CdnGC123 said:

Should I put my pre-req courses and GRE scores on every CV or only the one's that require it? I don;t want it to go over 2 pages :/

Depends on the school. When I asked the associate director at Michigan she said most applicants kept their CVs 2 pages max. Michigan also said that they would be looking over our transcripts very carefully, so putting pre-reqs on the CV was kind of repetitive. Same with GRE scores. But as stated above, some programs are probably okay with it. If you feel really unsure about what a school wants, I think you should email them as most seem open to that! (Except Wisconsin, she told us to not email her lol) .

7 hours ago, hfj23 said:

Depends on the school. When I asked the associate director at Michigan she said most applicants kept their CVs 2 pages max. Michigan also said that they would be looking over our transcripts very carefully, so putting pre-reqs on the CV was kind of repetitive. Same with GRE scores. But as stated above, some programs are probably okay with it. If you feel really unsure about what a school wants, I think you should email them as most seem open to that! (Except Wisconsin, she told us to not email her lol) .

8 hours ago, KG203040 said:

I put it on each one unless a school had a specified page limit for the CV and did not require it on there.  The couple webinars I listened to said as long as a CV wasn't 6 pages there wasn't a "max" page limit so I included it on those and mine was 3 pages total.

Thank you!!!

Happy Dec 15 to those applying to programs with due dates today! 5 apps down for me, still a good handful to go. My bank account is starting to feel it -- thank goodness for extra hours at work! And shout out to those of you who had all your applications submitted like, last month lol. I salute you! I'll just keep telling myself that the later I wait to submit my applications, the less time I will have to stress until I hear back from the schools haha. Good luck everyone, and here's to staying motivated and sane!

Quick question: for those who already submitted apps but need to submit their fall 2017 transcripts- how are you going about to do so? Any info on Boston U, Brandeis, Indiana U, Mt Sinai, Arcadia, UTHealt, or VCU would be great. Should I just email each school and see what they prefer?

7 hours ago, Brifeir said:

Quick question: for those who already submitted apps but need to submit their fall 2017 transcripts- how are you going about to do so? Any info on Boston U, Brandeis, Indiana U, Mt Sinai, Arcadia, UTHealt, or VCU would be great. Should I just email each school and see what they prefer?

IU should send you an email saying what to do (they send this form thing and it says to send the transcript after the semester ends and email the unofficial one  to that person). VCU you can probs just mail it in whenever since the deadline isn't till next month. I can't speak on the other schools though since I'm not applying to them

12 hours ago, Brifeir said:

Boston University says on their website to email unofficial copies of your grades/transcripts to gcprog@bu.edu! 

For those applying to Stanislaus, what did you enter in the Statement of Purpose section of the online application since the supplemental essay is accepted in place of this?

And if you don't have any in progress classes, do we not enter anything into transcript entry?

Edited by GC12018

9 hours ago, GC12018 said:

For those applying to Stanislaus, what did you enter in the Statement of Purpose section of the online application since the supplemental essay is accepted in place of this?

And if you don't have any in progress classes, do we not enter anything into transcript entry?

I entered my personal statement into the Statement of Purpose section. It was too long so I had to cut out some of it. I wasn't too worried because I know they will probably read what I send in the email, so it was a pretty rough cut.

I entered my entire transcript into transcript entry, not just in progress classes.

8 hours ago, GC12018 said:

How are you all addressing "hours worked" at a place on a CV/resume? Are you putting the amount of hours worked to date, or is it more accurate to give a projection of hours ending once GC school starts?

Mostly I put the amount of hours worked to date. I am currently shadowing, and I put those hours as a projection because it's over the next few days and I want the full amount of time on my application.

Just to clarify, is it expected we submit fall 2017 transcript updates to all schools? This past semester wasn't the best for me, and I totally understand if that's the expectation, but also am worried about these grades and I wouldn't want to send them if I didn't have to  :\ 

Thanks!

10 hours ago, GC12018 said:

I put "See supplemental application"

9 hours ago, GC12018 said:

How are you all addressing "hours worked" at a place on a CV/resume? Are you putting the amount of hours worked to date, or is it more accurate to give a projection of hours ending once GC school starts?

For work I put my average hours/week but for places where I volunteered/internships I put my total hours as I knew exactly how many hours I completed.

25 minutes ago, kbs12 said:

Just to clarify, is it expected we submit fall 2017 transcript updates to all schools? This past semester wasn't the best for me, and I totally understand if that's the expectation, but also am worried about these grades and I wouldn't want to send them if I didn't have to  :\ 

Thanks!

You will likely need to submit these, especially if you have any pending prereqs as they'll want to see those grades.  Final unofficial transcripts showing you graduated with your degree are likely required  a little after Match as that's a requirement for admission so they will see the grades eventually.