2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

2 hours ago, dr.strange said:

Claiming another LSE admit, with a recommendation for funding (LSE PhD studentships). Very excited now!

Congrats! Were you notified by email or LSEFY?

Edited by PoliSci-freak

1 hour ago, PoliSci-freak said:

Congrats! Were you notified by email or LSEFY?

By email. First I've received an email from the system that says I am accepted onto the course, then another email from the department on the funding nomination.

Claim a Yale rejection.

It was my dream school but now my cycle is finished and I can move on to the next stage.

Plus, I am just astonished more by the sheer number of the applicants to the school than my expected rejection. For a program which consists of 15 to 20 students, there are more than 11,000 applicants?!

4 minutes ago, Albert01 said:

Claim a Yale rejection.

It was my dream school but now my cycle is finished and I can move on to the next stage.

Plus, I am just astonished more by the sheer number of the applicants to the school than my expected rejection. For a program which consists of 15 to 20 students, there are more than 11,000 applicants?!

I think that 11,000 number is all their graduate programs, or at least arts and sciences, not just political science.

4 minutes ago, Hamb said:

I think that 11,000 number is all their graduate programs, or at least arts and sciences, not just political science.

Oh, I also just found out that the signiture under the letter was from the dean of the gsas, a bio prof. 

1 hour ago, Albert01 said:

Claim a Yale rejection.

I had that same thought. I think they just meant all the grad programs at Yale combined and were too lazy to customize it by department.

Toronto admits: congrats to you all! When is the deadline for you to accept or reject the offers?

Curious because I am waitlisted. They didn't use the term "waitlisted" but said I'd be considered again after they hear from initial offers...

Any info on the above would be much appreciated!!

1 hour ago, komina12345 said:

Rejected from Georgia via snail mail. At least they were nice about it.

This application cycle actually makes no sense at all seeing as I'm getting into places ranked higher than places that rejected me.

It seems thats how things work in this area; quantified or 'objectified' 'spec's (you would understand what exactly does it mean - you are a Korean, like me) which have guided us so far hardly tell us anything about what would happen in our future. Actually, it seems to depend on the authorizer's preferences toward us. And our first encounter with the cruel and exclusive, true academic world that is very different from inclusive undergrad conferences or seminars that invite everybody who wanna join, I believe, was a good lesson for us to understand this.

In my case, with 337 GRE score which I in retrospect, thought a free ticket to any school I wanted to go, I luckily got into NYU and U of Arizona while rejected from UMass (it was my safety choice based on rankings - absurdly, i didnt check how many they accept each year) and all the other schools.

Help needed: I was just waitlisted by Yale, and my adviser encouraged me to reach out to the Department. May I ask anyone who was accepted that who sent you the acceptance information? Btw, I am beginning to turn down some offers (like UCLA, etc) in the hope of leaving spaces for the waitlist. Good luck to all of us!

I was just waitlisted at Yale. Does anyone know historically what the chances of getting off the waitlist are?  Also, to my fellow waitlistees, would you mind me asking which subfield you are? I'm in theory