2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

2 hours ago, Ayerbender said:

Congrats!  That's super exciting :)

To confirm: you still haven't heard from MAPSS or Oxford, right?  I didn't see anything about them here, so want to make sure I'm not missing an email haha

(Still haven't submitted app to LSE or UCL MA programs, but I think I have time; was waiting to hear back from rest of PhDs before spending another couple hundred bucks...)

I came from MAPSS before applying to PhDs, and the experience really helps in this application season.  Good luck for MAPSS=)

56 minutes ago, inuititgirl said:

Waiting on Hopkins. Pretty sure they will release before the end of the day and pretty sure I will get a reject due to bad fit but really want to know so I can move on to other things ... 

Also waiting on them. Last school of this cycle (assuming rejection from NYU)

On 1/25/2018 at 4:10 PM, Midwest_PoliNERD said:

I can also report that I was admitted to the University of Illinois. They are shooting for a cohort of about 9, and they admitted only three Americanists and I am one. So anxiety is much less now. Best to everyone!

Congrats! Did you apply to UIC or UIUC? I'm currently on the waitlist for UIUC. Do you know if they do interviews for people once they're accepted off the wait-list as well or is it just before acceptance?

On 2/20/2018 at 1:17 PM, MrDoe said:

it is highly possible that those belong to a particular subfield. no reason to be pessimistic.

I got my rejection letter today. 

13 hours ago, Archidamus said:

A quick question, since this cycle is almost over.

To IR and CP applicants,

How important do you find your quantitative skills in being considered successful candidates? 

I got into Berkeley CP, and I have a relatively inexperienced quanti background. I scored high in quant on the GRE (168) and I expressed an aptitude and a desire to learn more in my SOP, but, to give you an idea, my last formal quantitative training was a basic calculus class back in college (over a decade ago for me). That said, I have a Master's from MIT and a good six years of professional experience under my belt. All this to say that there is no one specific profile of the "ideal" student they are looking for, rather the package of skills and experiences you can bring to the table. 

28 minutes ago, jtp7118 said:

I got into Berkeley CP, and I have a relatively inexperienced quanti background. I scored high in quant on the GRE (168) and I expressed an aptitude and a desire to learn more in my SOP, but, to give you an idea, my last formal quantitative training was a basic calculus class back in college (over a decade ago for me). That said, I have a Master's from MIT and a good six years of professional experience under my belt. All this to say that there is no one specific profile of the "ideal" student they are looking for, rather the package of skills and experiences you can bring to the table. 

What's your Master's from MIT in?

On 3/2/2018 at 12:28 PM, inuititgirl said:

Waiting on Hopkins. Pretty sure they will release before the end of the day and pretty sure I will get a reject due to bad fit but really want to know so I can move on to other things ... 

Honestly, I am a little confused about what's going on with Hopkins. There were a couple of acceptances posted to the main site yesterday. I'm positive they're genuine, but it would be nice to get some confirmation here in the forums. They also seem to be CP and American subfields, so it may be that they're trickling out by subfield, or it may just be that we're hitting a weekend at the end of the admissions season so people have been slow to claim.

2 hours ago, ilyosha said:

Honestly, I am a little confused about what's going on with Hopkins. There were a couple of acceptances posted to the main site yesterday. I'm positive they're genuine, but it would be nice to get some confirmation here in the forums. They also seem to be CP and American subfields, so it may be that they're trickling out by subfield, or it may just be that we're hitting a weekend at the end of the admissions season so people have been slow to claim.

I didn't apply but I know my friend in Theory has gotten in. Maybe there's still a few they haven't sent out? :(

3 hours ago, ilyosha said:

Claiming a JHU admit. Weirdly, their prospective student visitation is less than two weeks after their March 2nd announcement (March 15-16) so I am positive they sent out all acceptances. I am CP. 

They do have a waitlist, nobody has claimed a waitlist, so maybe they have an inside waitlist that they don't make public. I don't know... 

I wish you the best and hope you get what you want! 

1 hour ago, tigerlilies said:

I didn't apply but I know my friend in Theory has gotten in. Maybe there's still a few they haven't sent out? :(

1 hour ago, PoliSci-freak said:

Claiming a JHU admit. Weirdly, their prospective student visitation is less than two weeks after their March 2nd announcement (March 15-16) so I am positive they sent out all acceptances. I am CP. 

They do have a waitlist, nobody has claimed a waitlist, so maybe they have an inside waitlist that they don't make public. I don't know... 

I wish you the best and hope you get what you want! 

Oh well. Looks like I'm headed elsewhere then. Honestly, I'm just happy to finally get closure, so I really appreciate you guys filling me in. Hopefully JHU won't drag out rejection notices past early next week.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting on schools, and everyone making decisions! I can't tell you all how much I've appreciated all of the information and encouragement you guys have provided throughout this process. 

Edited by ilyosha

19 hours ago, Hamb said:

Anybody else coming away from visits even more confused than when they went in? Thought these would help clear things up, but they've only made me more unsure of my decision making process over the next month!

Haven't been to any yet but extremely curious why so??