2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

On 3/8/2018 at 8:37 PM, chi12345 said:

Haven't decided, visiting Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, and Princeton (maybe Columbia as well). But I didn't think Yale was as good of a fit (I'm American / methods).

Thank you for letting me know! I'm not sure if I'm on a field-specific waitlist or a department-wide waitlist, but this is good news.

Also, congrats on those amazing acceptances! 

8 hours ago, Clytemnahstra said:

Thank you for letting me know! I'm not sure if I'm on a field-specific waitlist or a department-wide waitlist, but this is good news.

Also, congrats on those amazing acceptances! 

Thank you! I would imagine that the waitlists are somewhat field-specific since they usually strive to have X Americanists, Y Comparativists, and so on, but what do I know?

I was wondering if someone got a rejection letter from John Hopkins. I know they have sent acceptance letters two weeks ago and was excepting a rejection letter but nothing for now.

Also, I'm on  the Cornell waitlist, so If some prospective admits already know they will decline their offer, could you please let the department know? Can't wait to end this stressful process. Yes or No, I just want a firm answer now.

On 2018/3/11 at 3:18 PM, chi12345 said:

Thank you! I would imagine that the waitlists are somewhat field-specific since they usually strive to have X Americanists, Y Comparativists, and so on, but what do I know?

See you at Berkeley soon and perhaps other schools on the East Coast! 

28 minutes ago, 3eyes said:

Were you waitlisted? I was told that I'm still under consideration after the first round of acceptances were sent out.

SIS - how about you? Not sure how many are on the list. Have you heard?

I'm SPA. Just got offered admission to the MA and still under consideration for the PhD. 

March 15!!!  should we expect some news about waitlists/acceptance/rejection today/tomorrow? there is only 1 month left for April 15. I am sure those who got their best choice already decline other offers. If so, then we are about to hear the news.  

12 hours ago, CPRel said:

March 15!!!  should we expect some news about waitlists/acceptance/rejection today/tomorrow? there is only 1 month left for April 15. I am sure those who got their best choice already decline other offers. If so, then we are about to hear the news.  

As I said, I felt that I will get a news today. So, I am rejected by Concordia University (Canada). 

On 3/8/2018 at 7:10 PM, audre.bored said:

@PoliSci-freak I got my Maryland decision around Valentine's day.  Have you checked the portal?

Hey PoliSci-freak! When you got into Maryland did you get an email saying you’d been recommended before you were officially accepted? If so about how long did it take for it to officially happen?

I just got my offer of admission for UCSB.  The letter describing the offer structures the package in a way that is not super clear, but I got more information from the department.  The first year, my in-pocket stipend would be right around $20,000 and would involve TA-ing 2 out of the 3 quarters.  For subsequent years, I have two quarters of TA-ing assured with a stipend of $6800 each, and the final quarter would depend on potential future fellowships etc.  So basically $20,000 the first year and $13,000 thereafter.  

I know that this is very much on the lower end of things money wise, though I am cognizant that UCSB does not have a ton of money to throw around either.  Perhaps more importantly, I am curious if the TA load is high/medium/light for that level of funding.  Two TA positions each year seems relatively high for this level of support, but perhaps I am wrong.

On 3/15/2018 at 6:31 PM, AlphaLvSim said:

I just got my offer of admission for UCSB.  The letter describing the offer structures the package in a way that is not super clear, but I got more information from the department.  The first year, my in-pocket stipend would be right around $20,000 and would involve TA-ing 2 out of the 3 quarters.  For subsequent years, I have two quarters of TA-ing assured with a stipend of $6800 each, and the final quarter would depend on potential future fellowships etc.  So basically $20,000 the first year and $13,000 thereafter.  

I know that this is very much on the lower end of things money wise, though I am cognizant that UCSB does not have a ton of money to throw around either.  Perhaps more importantly, I am curious if the TA load is high/medium/light for that level of funding.  Two TA positions each year seems relatively high for this level of support, but perhaps I am wrong.

At public schools it's not unusual to have your stipend tied to TA/RA work, so I don't think that the issue is that you'll be TA-ing too much. However, it's a little concerning that they are only guaranteeing you partial employment past the first year - $13k in Santa Barbara (according to an online cost of living calculator) is equivalent to about 8K in somewhere like Columbus or Austin. That's almost certainly not going to be enough to live on without taking on some debt. I would recommend asking current grad students about how easy it is to find additional TA/RA work during the third quarter/summers, how many per cohort receive continuing fellowships, et cetera.

3 hours ago, dagnabbit said:

At public schools it's not unusual to have your stipend tied to TA/RA work, so I don't think that the issue is that you'll be TA-ing too much. However, it's a little concerning that they are only guaranteeing you partial employment past the first year - $13k in Santa Barbara (according to an online cost of living calculator) is equivalent to about 8K in somewhere like Columbus or Austin. That's almost certainly not going to be enough to live on without taking on some debt. I would recommend asking current grad students about how easy it is to find additional TA/RA work during the third quarter/summers, how many per cohort receive continuing fellowships, et cetera.

Yeah, its the drop in the 2nd year+ that is most concerning to me.  According to the department, you can pick up TA-ships sometimes, but it is all a bit vague.  If I was assured a fellowship to support me in those quarters the decision would be a little bit easier.

I plan to ask around on visit day and see what I can find out, but even 20k/year in Santa Barbara is fairly slim (though I know that public universities cannot offer ivy-level funding of course).