2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

6 minutes ago, CandyCanes said:

Did you mean you didn't hear back from their PhD program and only recently heard back for MAPSS?

Why did you panic hide when nobody else posted?

I didn't hear back from the PhD program, no.  But I was told it's an either/or: you don't get admitted both (which makes sense)

Because I overthink everything, have impostor syndrome, and am very, very dumb...

26 minutes ago, Securitystudies123 said:

Claiming an admit to Princeton’s security studies PhD program.

Absolutely stunned. It is my dream program and is an absolute perfect fit for my research. I couldn’t be more excited!

Congrats!  Is it in the Wilson school?

4 hours ago, Securitystudies123 said:

Claiming an admit to Princeton’s security studies PhD program.

Absolutely stunned. It is my dream program and is an absolute perfect fit for my research. I couldn’t be more excited!

I wish I knew that Princeton has security studies Ph.D. program.

4 hours ago, Nelz said:

Admitted to the NYU masters program without funding. Anyone else with the same outcome?

Almost every failed PhD applicant at the NYU is offered their MA. That's why I said it seems a bit unfair to the folks who applied to just the MA (assuming someone will actually take the offer).

6 hours ago, CPRel said:

Ditto.  I applied to their PhD in government, but the security studies program would be such a better fit.

6 hours ago, CPRel said:

28 minutes ago, AlphaLvSim said:

Ditto.  I applied to their PhD in government, but the security studies program would be such a better fit.

Had I not known several alumni of the program, I would not have easily found out about the security studies program either. I guess since it is such a specific program with a very niche goal of preparing social science scholars to conduct applied research, they figure that those candidates who are interested in the subject matter and are a good fit will find the program. That said, I've heard from many people that they should get the word out more about it. 

The program itself is closely related to the political science department—sharing many of the same faculty and cross-listing most relevant courses—but it remains an entirely unique, standalone program. 

19 hours ago, CandyCanes said:

Has anyone else not heard back from Chicago yet? I'm guessing I got rejected from their PhD program, but I'm wondering why they're taking so long to tell me.

I also have not heard back. American subfield. Most acute case of the staggers yet?

Fortunately I've gotten other admits but it's my last decision pending and I just want this all to be over...

On 3/2/2018 at 3:28 PM, theprincessleia said:

Congrats! Did you apply to UIC or UIUC? I'm currently on the waitlist for UIUC. Do you know if they do interviews for people once they're accepted off the wait-list as well or is it just before acceptance?

I applied and was accept to UIUC. I just accepted my offer yesterday, so I cannot really speak to the waitlist. I think they don't do interviews. I did not have one, so I doubt those accepted off the will either. Best to you!

3 hours ago, Midwest_PoliNERD said:

I applied and was accept to UIUC. I just accepted my offer yesterday, so I cannot really speak to the waitlist. I think they don't do interviews. I did not have one, so I doubt those accepted off the will either. Best to you!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Midwest_PoliNERD said:

May I know when the visitation day of UIUC is?

39 minutes ago, meteora said:

May I know when the visitation day of UIUC is?

It was actually an individualized visitation, meaning that no one day for all students was planned, but each student can when they could. I went Feb. 13 with two other prospective students, and two other students went last week.

1 hour ago, Midwest_PoliNERD said:

It was actually an individualized visitation, meaning that no one day for all students was planned, but each student can when they could. I went Feb. 13 with two other prospective students, and two other students went last week.

Oh, it must be a good experience. Thanks for the information. 

Is there any one who accepted by SUNY Binghamton but will go to another school? If so, please decline the offer if you have better choice. I am waitlisted and Binghamton is my best choice.

20 hours ago, dr.strange said:

Almost every failed PhD applicant at the NYU is offered their MA. That's why I said it seems a bit unfair to the folks who applied to just the MA (assuming someone will actually take the offer).

Ah okay..not going for an unfunded program anyway.

anyone else still waiting on a rejection letter from Chicago? i really like their program so it would be nice to seal that door. anyone who has been accepted know when the visiting day is? i don't think i'm getting accepted i just like to finalize things. 

59 minutes ago, redfive said:

anyone else still waiting on a rejection letter from Chicago? i really like their program so it would be nice to seal that door. anyone who has been accepted know when the visiting day is? i don't think i'm getting accepted i just like to finalize things. 

MAPSS or PhD?

3 hours ago, Ayerbender said:

MAPSS or PhD?

Either! I haven't heard a peep. that said their site does say first two weeks of March. i'm just booking travel for visiting days now so it'd be good to have everything settled....