2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

5 hours ago, Albert01 said:

It seems thats how things work in this area; quantified or 'objectified' 'spec's (you would understand what exactly does it mean - you are a Korean, like me) which have guided us so far hardly tell us anything about what would happen in our future. Actually, it seems to depend on the authorizer's preferences toward us. And our first encounter with the cruel and exclusive, true academic world that is very different from inclusive undergrad conferences or seminars that invite everybody who wanna join, I believe, was a good lesson for us to understand this.

In my case, with 337 GRE score which I in retrospect, thought a free ticket to any school I wanted to go, I luckily got into NYU and U of Arizona while rejected from UMass (it was my safety choice based on rankings - absurdly, i didnt check how many they accept each year) and all the other schools.

You got rejected from UMass with a 337 GRE?!

6 minutes ago, Richard Jiang said:

Me too, I took a skype interview instead.

Well, it should be a good sign even though I did two interviews with other schools and have not got any news from them yet. Better than nothing I guess. Apparently, NEU did not consider me as a "potential student," I hope you are. Good luck.

2 hours ago, CandyCanes said:

You got rejected from UMass with a 337 GRE?!

Yeah.. I got rejected more than 15 schools. I think there are three factors that may have turned me down. First, since some of them are small programs like UMass, fit must have mattered the most. And my SOPs were hardly individualized for each school. Secondly, my subfield is theory (combined with a game theoretical analysis). So, high quant would have not help me as much as it would when I am a student of IPE or more quant-oriented fields. Lastly, I am from an international school that nobody knows with an enough, but not so great GPA (3.62/4). Because it does not have enough profs in poli sci, I had to ask its english teacher to write my rec letters for some schools.

Edited by Albert01

14 hours ago, vikinggrad1 said:

I thought several people had already been accepted to NYU. Does this mean we are being considered for the MA program, or is the rejection letter just rolling out a bit slow?

I don't think anyone has received a rejection from NYU yet, so I think they are just slacking off like Northwestern did

39 minutes ago, Archidamus said:

A quick question, since this cycle is almost over.

To IR and CP applicants,

How important do you find your quantitative skills in being considered successful candidates? 

I am a CP applicant, and my quantitative skills is actually a life saver for my not-so-bright Q score in the GRE! So I would say yes. But of course, that depends on the department you are applying to, and what your proposed research approach is. 

Edited by dr.strange

1 hour ago, Archidamus said:

A quick question, since this cycle is almost over.

To IR and CP applicants,

How important do you find your quantitative skills in being considered successful candidates? 

High GRE quant score/quant trainings/math trainings/relevant software skills. I feel like we have to somehow score at least one of them.

Yale (fully funded), Georgetown (fully funded), and New School (75% scholarship - lol, expected).

Extremely grateful. I have begun declining offers (so far UMass, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, UCLA, am in the process of figuring out how to decline the New School, and have not heard anything from Penn but will likely email to withdraw my application) - best of luck to all waitlisted applicants!!

26 minutes ago, spcgsw96 said:

Yale (fully funded), Georgetown (fully funded), and New School (75% scholarship - lol, expected).

Extremely grateful. I have begun declining offers (so far UMass, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, UCLA, am in the process of figuring out how to decline the New School, and have not heard anything from Penn but will likely email to withdraw my application) - best of luck to all waitlisted applicants!!

Wow. You have so many great offers. 

Did you receive an official letter from Georgetown? I am not sure whether the department has officially sent out decisions. 

7 minutes ago, meteora said:

Did you receive an official letter from Georgetown? I am not sure whether the department has officially sent out decisions. 

Sorry I should have added more details -

Yale was PhD, Georgetown and The New School were MA applications (since they had later deadlines, Jan 15 I believe). I received an email around five(?) days ago telling me I was accepted (oddly not to the email I signed up with but for to another email address that I don't remember using in any of the applications?) and then another yesterday telling me to check my portal. Probably not the info you're looking for though. I applied for MA programs in most places that offered them (MAPSS, Georgetown, Duke, Oxford, LSE, TNS, and was planning on Columbia but received my first PhD acceptance before that and didn't) as I thought I needed the extra experience. Extremely grateful to go straight to PhD 

13 minutes ago, spcgsw96 said:

Yale was PhD, Georgetown and The New School were MA applications (since they had later deadlines, Jan 15 I believe). I received an email around five(?) days ago telling me I was accepted (oddly not to the email I signed up with but for to another email address that I don't remember using in any of the applications?) and then another yesterday telling me to check my portal. Probably not the info you're looking for though. I applied for MA programs in most places that offered them (MAPSS, Georgetown, Duke, Oxford, LSE, TNS, and was planning on Columbia but received my first PhD acceptance before that and didn't) as I thought I needed the extra experience. Extremely grateful to go straight to PhD 

Congrats!  That's super exciting :)

To confirm: you still haven't heard from MAPSS or Oxford, right?  I didn't see anything about them here, so want to make sure I'm not missing an email haha

(Still haven't submitted app to LSE or UCL MA programs, but I think I have time; was waiting to hear back from rest of PhDs before spending another couple hundred bucks...)

3 minutes ago, Ayerbender said:

To confirm: you still haven't heard from MAPSS or Oxford, right?  I didn't see anything about them here, so want to make sure I'm not missing an email haha

No I haven't (nor from the Duke MA program, although waitlisted at its PhD program)! Sorry I applied to so many programs (too many in retrospect) so my reporting is all over the place. I also applied to the Georgetown PhD program and am withdrawing myself from that too so if they haven't sent out any letters maybe it might help some people?

7 minutes ago, spcgsw96 said:

No I haven't (nor from the Duke MA program, although waitlisted at its PhD program)! Sorry I applied to so many programs (too many in retrospect) so my reporting is all over the place. I also applied to the Georgetown PhD program and am withdrawing myself from that too so if they haven't sent out any letters maybe it might help some people?

Pretty sure we are in the same boat for Duke.  Are you sticking with the wait list, despite Yale?  (I'm assuming you're withdrawing from each of the MA apps :P haha)

Edited by Ayerbender

46 minutes ago, spcgsw96 said:

Oh, I see. Then, having an offer from Yale must be a great news to you. And, thanks for the clarification. 

49 minutes ago, Richard Jiang said:

I also had an interview with Binghamton and got rejected two weeks later. Anyway, hope you can get to your dream school as well.

Me too with Binghamton. It has been over 20 days waiting for decision. 

1 hour ago, spcgsw96 said:

What are international applicants on here doing about recruitment visits? (I live in western europe and the schools I'm considering are all in the US)

I'm attending the ones that I have offers for - the schools are offering to reimburse the cost of flights (to a certain point). I hold certain prior beliefs about the programmes (each has its pros and cons), but want to give every one a fair chance.

What are international applicants on here doing about recruitment visits? (I live in western europe and the schools I'm considering are all in the US)

I'm not going. The departmental subsidy does not cover the costs of a return flight ticket. I arranged a skype call with my POI and asked a lot of questions by e-mail instead.

Most schools accomodate a different campus visit day. Just e-mail them.  If you have more than one school to visit, you can even ask them to share the costs in a way they find suitable.

2 hours ago, spcgsw96 said:

Hey, same here, from China. I have planned to visit a few PhD admitted programs (mainly Berkeley/SD at the west coast and Columbia/Duke on the east coast).  I have found gratefully that schools are able to mostly fund my trips. I was waitlisted by Yale (IR/IPE), so big big congratulations for your admit!

1 hour ago, displaynamehere said:

How are people handling conflicting visit days/open houses? 

For the one you miss, are going to try to visit individually at a different time, or speak to professors/grad students over email/phone? 

I am the process of discussing the scheduling conflicts between Columbia and Duke. I find it very helpful that Columbia is happy to arrange my meetings with faculty/students a few days earlier than the official open day. Hope it helps=)