Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

If your PhD application isn't accepted, but rather recommended for consideration by another program instead of outright rejection. Does that mean your application stands a higher chance of getting accepted into that other program, or is that just a procedural thing? Any one has had the same or similar experience?

21 minutes ago, Ouyang said:

@psstein Thanks for the information. It does help. I am also wondering if Wisconsin is sending out official admissions or unofficial ones? 

They're unofficial, pending grad school approval. The grad school isn't going to turn you down provided you're not a felon or whatever. 

The official offer should come about a week after you receive the unofficial one.

Just wanted to congratulate everyone who received good news today, and console those who didn't.  All this waiting is making this process so intense, and I'm living vicariously through all of you!

I'm also gonna express that I'm also a bit perplexed at how an Arizona MA > WashU PhD, but what do I know?

4 minutes ago, ileeminati said:

Does anyone know how many are accepted/waitlisted to CMU Stats PhD? I got on the waitlist, but I don't know how much hope should I have :(.

Can't tell you, but heads up, you're in the History forum, not the Stats forum.

2 hours ago, psstein said:

They're unofficial, pending grad school approval. The grad school isn't going to turn you down provided you're not a felon or whatever. 

The official offer should come about a week after you receive the unofficial one.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, CBC said:

If your PhD application isn't accepted, but rather recommended for consideration by another program instead of outright rejection. Does that mean your application stands a higher chance of getting accepted into that other program, or is that just a procedural thing? Any one has had the same or similar experience?

It may be that the profs in the program thought you might be a better fit for the other program.  It does happen, but not always.

18 hours ago, Imenol said:

You mean that some letters have been sent for East Asian or for History? Have not heard anything from the history department yet

Both. Her recommender is in the history department.

42 minutes ago, AP said:

When I applied (five years ago), I heard from Princeton and Harvard around mid-February, maybe the 15th?

Harvard has just confirmed to me that I should expect to hear back from them by March 7 at the earliest.

6 minutes ago, grotesque-donkey said:

My impression is that the History Department at Harvard has made their decisions for the first round of admits. It's probably up to the faculty to contact those already admitted. 

Yes, forgot to mention that this was from one of the joint programs with the history programs. You're right that decisions have already been made for those accepted for just the History PhD program.

5 minutes ago, CBC said:

Yes, forgot to mention that this was from one of the joint programs with the history programs. You're right that decisions have already been made for those accepted for just the History PhD program.

:) It sounds like the History decisions were made pretty recently and might still be in the process of being approved by GSAS. So faculty notification might be trickling out in the next week or so. 

45 minutes ago, grotesque-donkey said:

:) It sounds like the History decisions were made pretty recently and might still be in the process of being approved by GSAS. So faculty notification might be trickling out in the next week or so. 

Harvard profs almost always reach out as soon as the department makes its decisions. If other people have heard and you haven't, rejection is a safe bet.

1 hour ago, grotesque-donkey said:

My impression is that the History Department at Harvard has made their decisions for the first round of admits. It's probably up to the faculty to contact those already admitted. 

Any clue about Harvard HoS decisions? 

Not sure what to think about my current status with Minnesota.  According to the results they sent out acceptance letters.  Also clearly they have sent out some rejection letters as was reported in this thread.  My status still says awaiting decision.  I see two possibilities. 1. I am a possible candidate but not a first pick thus putting me on an informal waiting list. 2. I am so far down the list of possible candidates they are not bothering with sending me a rejection until March.  Not sure if anyone has insight into the process.  I saw the graphs a few pages back so I am guessing the second.

Still have Georgetown left (looks like those should be out in a week or two) but thinking I should just start the research process again now.  Probably could have done a better job selecting programs, 3 months doesn't seem to have been enough time.

On 2/8/2018 at 10:54 AM, fortsibut said:

Per the past few years' survey results, acceptances started rolling in between Feb 21s and the end of the month.  Once you get past the first few days of March, things look pretty grim.  I'm also a Cornell applicant, mind sharing your area of focus?

Thanks for the info. I am applying to do 18-19th century Southeast Asian history, the islands specifically. It's one of the country's few institutions that admits at least one SEAsianist in each cohort. Have you been in contact with your POI? Mine writes very brief replies to my emails :(

Good luck with your wait!

On 2/8/2018 at 10:44 AM, Siswa said:

Any news from Cornell? They are my last hope > <

Decisions were made this week. Letters should be sent out in the coming weeks.

10 minutes ago, Assotto said:

Decisions were made this week. Letters should be sent out in the coming weeks.

Thank you! This is getting really exciting..... I am actually going to present at a grad conference at Cornell in March. Hope I don't have to introduce myself as a rejected candidate.