Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

Just now got an email from Yale with a rejection, which I was fully expecting given their 5% acceptance rate to the graduate program.

"Thank you very much for applying to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Yale University. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission. As you know, the very high number of extraordinary candidates among our more than 11,000 applicants far exceeds the number of places we have in each program, and we are not able to admit many excellent candidates.

We wish you every success in all your future endeavors."

They were much nicer about it than Arizona! :D

4 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

Just now got an email from Yale with a rejection, which I was fully expecting given their 5% acceptance rate to the graduate program.

"Thank you very much for applying to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Yale University. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission. As you know, the very high number of extraordinary candidates among our more than 11,000 applicants far exceeds the number of places we have in each program, and we are not able to admit many excellent candidates.

=(

/gets out trumpet

/plays taps

4 hours ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

Got an acceptance email from Northern Illinois University's DGS 

Not quite in your area but Amanda Littauer at NIU is one of the nicest people and professors I've ever met, and she's doing really interesting work, so if you end up there definitely keep her classes etc in mind. 

1 hour ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

Yeah, that's more like it because of their competitiveness.  

On 2/8/2018 at 3:57 PM, Dobby'sSocks said:

Just received a totally unexpected admit from the University of Michigan and am over the moon. Are there any other Michigan applicants lurking here?

I was accepted this morning too! Pretty happy with it.

Well, I got my first response today and it was a rejection email from University of Oregon. This one sort of hurts since it was my top choice. I'm not very optimistic in my chances but who knows what will happen with the other schools.  

I've been trying to stay off of gradcafe since I was driving myself crazy. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! 

3 minutes ago, andnothing said:

Well, I got my first response today and it was a rejection email from University of Oregon. This one sort of hurts since it was my top choice. I'm not very optimistic in my chances but who knows what will happen with the other schools.  

I've been trying to stay off of gradcafe since I was driving myself crazy. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! 

Would you mind sharing your stats? I also applied to Oregon's MA program, and now I'm starting to stress. I haven't heard anything yet. :unsure:

5 minutes ago, andnothing said:

Also, if you don't mind, did it look like an automated email or was it fairly personalized? From DGS or POI?

Aaaaah!! Got accepted to University of Michigan! Six years funding! Perfect fit!

I would never have dreamt of this, and just needed to share with people who understand the trials and tribulations of grad school applications.

...Oh, and also just got rejected from Berkeley...

Edited by TheLearnedPig

2 minutes ago, TheLearnedPig said:

Aaaaah!! Got accepted to University of Michigan! Six years funding! Perfect fit!

I would never have dreamt of this, and just needed to share with people who understand the trials and tribulations of grad school applications.

NICE! Congrats, you earned it!

18 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

Also, if you don't mind, did it look like an automated email or was it fairly personalized? From DGS or POI?

3.3 GPA. GRE scores: V: 157, Q: 154, 4. Not exactly the greatest GPA or scores so maybe that's why I was rejected. 

It was from the graduate coordinator and it seemed like an automated email. 

On 2/8/2018 at 5:54 PM, andnothing said:

3.3 GPA. GRE scores: V: 157, Q: 154, 4. Not exactly the greatest GPA or scores so maybe that's why I was rejected. 

It was from the graduate coordinator and it seemed like an automated email. 

Thanks, I appreciate you sharing your info. Best of luck to you throughout the rest of decision season...!

1 hour ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

In what respects?

Well, for one, I'm currently dissertating, and my interests are tangential to a good number of their doctoral students, so I've read a couple of their dissertations. And not to be too mean, but they're excellent work for 1960, and the places they've been finding jobs (and the frequency with which they do so) reflects that. 

4 minutes ago, lordtiandao said:

@CBC Nothing from Harvard. I applied to EAS for Princeton and was told during interviews that decisions typically come out in mid-Feb., which would be next week.

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if Princeton's History department also interviews its shortlist?

22 minutes ago, CBC said:

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if Princeton's History department also interviews its shortlist?

No, they don't. Most top programs don't have the manpower to do it. As I've said a few times, Penn's History and Sociology of Science (HSS) does, just as Hopkins' History of Science (not history of medicine, a separate department) does.

1 hour ago, telkanuru said:

And not to be too mean, but they're excellent work for 1960, and the places they've been finding jobs (and the frequency with which they do so) reflects that. 

This is probably the most entertaining post I've read on here.

4 minutes ago, grubyczarnykot said:

Is it necessary to respond to an impersonal notification of being waitlisted? How would one go about wording that? I couldn't find any threads about this, I hope I'm not repeating an often-answered question. 

No, don't worry about it.

Also, for those interested: Wisconsin's admissions have started to trickle out. The meeting was held on Monday the 5th.

Edited by psstein