Fall 2018 Applicants

glycoprotein1

12 minutes ago, BuckinghamRabbit said:

If you are comfortable with sharing, do you mind telling us your field?

My field in Modern European history, and thanks so much :) My first acceptance, and very exciting. I can't wait to hear back from the others, especially Princeton

Edited by HappyHistorian

2 hours ago, astroid88 said:

Has anyone heard back from Georgetown for their History PhD program? 

I haven't heard anything, either. Based on past years, it looks like they typically don't respond until mid-February at the earliest.

Hi all-

Just received my first official decision: accepted to UC Santa Cruz (area is Early Modern/Atlantic World) and nominated for a fellowship! I know there's at least one other person I've seen on here who interviewed and was invited to the recruitment days in April as well. Send me a message if you see this! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear news today and hopefully all of our waiting is over soon!

5 minutes ago, TheLearnedPig said:

Did anyone else think that the generic Northwestern rejection letter was quite poorly written?

I don't have another rejection to compare it to yet, but the claim that they "respect my intellectual ambition" kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

34 minutes ago, Guest345 said:

I applied to NYU as Atlantic World and haven't heard anything yet either besides the interview I had some weeks ago. 

We're in the same boat. My POI set up a Skype call a month ago and there's been radio silence ever since. I thought having been accepted into one of my top choices would render the waiting game less agonizing. As it turns out, it hasn't. :) Hope to hear from NYU, whatever the outcome, soon. Could anyone say when Brown might send out their final decisions? 

3 minutes ago, VladL said:

We're in the same boat. My POI set up a Skype call a month ago and there's been radio silence ever since. I thought having been accepted into one of my top choices would render the waiting game less agonizing. As it turns out, it hasn't. :) Hope to hear from NYU, whatever the outcome, soon. Could anyone say when Brown might send out their final decisions? 

Congratulations. Maybe tomorrow for more NYU applicants, it's only a matter of time. At this point for those who get in, it will probably be very subjective and based on what POIs decide to do about notifications. 

20 minutes ago, TheLearnedPig said:

Did anyone else think that the generic Northwestern rejection letter was quite poorly written?

I was actually surprised they made some (albeit not much) effort to pretend to go beyond a typical mass rejection statement when it's still going to be obvious to everyone reading it that it wasn't written for them in particular... Can't decide if it's relatively classy or just demeaning to be honest

55 minutes ago, Dobby'sSocks said:

I don't have another rejection to compare it to yet, but the claim that they "respect my intellectual ambition" kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Mind sharing it?  Now I'm interested.

16 minutes ago, fortsibut said:

Mind sharing it?  Now I'm interested.

Sure, why not?

"Dear Dobby'sSocks,

After a consultation with the program and after a thorough evaluation of your credentials by The Graduate School, I regret to inform you that you have been denied admission for graduate study at Northwestern University.

Because your interest in the University is deeply appreciated, this decision is not easy to convey. Though your plans cannot be accommodated at Northwestern University, the faculty and administrators of The Graduate School respect your intellectual ambition and wish you success in attaining your goal of advanced study." 

35 minutes ago, Dobby'sSocks said:

Sure, why not?

"Dear Dobby'sSocks,

After a consultation with the program and after a thorough evaluation of your credentials by The Graduate School, I regret to inform you that you have been denied admission for graduate study at Northwestern University.

Because your interest in the University is deeply appreciated, this decision is not easy to convey. Though your plans cannot be accommodated at Northwestern University, the faculty and administrators of The Graduate School respect your intellectual ambition and wish you success in attaining your goal of advanced study." 

Yikes.  Yeah, that's pretty weak.  =(

18 minutes ago, VladL said:

Just received wonderful news from Nashville. Accepted into Vandy's program, fellowship and all. Plus, they want to fly me in from half across the globe for a meet-and-greet. Surreal! Good luck to everyone who took a shot at Vanderbilt. 

Congratulations! You ought to be proud! You might have already stated elsewhere, but what is your subfield specialty?

7 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

Congratulations! You ought to be proud! You might have already stated elsewhere, but what is your subfield specialty?

Thank you! I am certain I will be very proud as soon as I have figured out what on earth is going on. :) Not sure if I mentioned it somewhere else,  but I am at the intersection of modern intellectual and 19th-century Balkans. 

46 minutes ago, Ian Han said:

I was wondering if anyone could copy and post the link to the History stipends spreadsheet that has been floating around...

There was a problem yesterday morning when permissions for the spreadsheet were accidentally altered. I'm not sure if that's been fixed yet or if it will have to be created anew by the person with sole access, but I'd check the spreadsheet forum for the latest information.

ED: No news there yet, but I hope that a fix is in the works.

Edited by gnossienne n.3

1 hour ago, Ian Han said:

I was wondering if anyone could copy and post the link to the History stipends spreadsheet that has been floating around...

There's also this: http://www.phdstipends.com/results, which isn't as history-centric, but you can search "history" and there are quite a few results. Don't look at the STEM stipends though, it's quite depressing : p

I love how the forum sparks this time of the year. 

Here I'm applying for completion fellowships. So my stress level is similar to yours in the sense that the rest of my life depends on this moment. If I don't get funding, I can't finish. By all means, congratulations to those admitted! And if you have happy thoughts, send them to my selection committees way so they give me the money! :D 

4 minutes ago, AP said:

I love how the forum sparks this time of the year. 

Here I'm applying for completion fellowships. So my stress level is similar to yours in the sense that the rest of my life depends on this moment. If I don't get funding, I can't finish. By all means, congratulations to those admitted! And if you have happy thoughts, send them to my selection committees way so they give me the money! :D 

Good luck! Now that it's the first week in February I'm really going crazy. I only applied to five programs and I know one is an implied rejection (they already sent out interviews), but the rest of the programs typically send out acceptances either... by the end of this week, or next. I wish I could hibernate for two weeks. Sending good thoughts your way for completion funding!