Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

3 minutes ago, jayaos said:

I applied to Purdue but havent heard anything haha. congrats :) . When did you submit your application?

Thanks! I applied in Nov 9. It looks like Purdue has staggered notices and they said today was the first day of acceptances. What fields are you interested in?

8 minutes ago, Woolworth said:

Thanks! I applied in Nov 9. It looks like Purdue has staggered notices and they said today was the first day of acceptances. What fields are you interested in?

Applied statistics. I submitted around the deadline so it will be needed more time to get to notice to me haha :) . Can I ask you a concise posting and profile?

Hi, 

I saw  Duke Ph.D. acceptances on gradcafe and congrats to everyone who got acceptances. I just two questions which have made me anxious now. 

1. Does everyone generally have to go through an interview for Duke? Following my the discussion above I believe the answer is yes, but still want to confirm. 

2. I saw on gradcafe and in the thread too that most of the acceptances and interview calls were actually domestic, Am I safe to infer that they have not send out interview calls/ acceptance for international applicants (who did their graduation outside USA)?

Please let me know as I feel that unless 2 is true, I am mostly going to be rejected in the next too days following past trends that I observed on this thread and want to be mentally prepared for the same. 

Thanks

Edited by BStat

3 minutes ago, jayaos said:

Applied statistics. I submitted around the deadline so it will be needed more time to get to notice to me haha :) . Can I ask you a concise posting and profile?

Sure! MS in stats (4), BS in math (3.8), some research in undergrad. 90%ish GRE. 

3 minutes ago, Woolworth said:

Sure! MS in stats (4), BS in math (3.8), some research in undergrad. 90%ish GRE. 

Oh you applied  to Ph.D. I thought you were talking about MS haha. Seems like you can get into other top school based on your profile . Good luck :) 

1 hour ago, BStat said:

Hi, 

I saw  Duke Ph.D. acceptances on gradcafe and congrats to everyone who got acceptances. I just two questions which have made me anxious now. 

1. Does everyone generally have to go through an interview for Duke? Following my the discussion above I believe the answer is yes, but still want to confirm. 

2. I saw on gradcafe and in the thread too that most of the acceptances and interview calls were actually domestic, Am I safe to infer that they have not send out interview calls/ acceptance for international applicants (who did their graduation outside USA)?

Please let me know as I feel that unless 2 is true, I am mostly going to be rejected in the next too days following past trends that I observed on this thread and want to be mentally prepared for the same. 

Thanks

1. Yes, the top 15% are interviewed. My shortlist email said this. That should cover the entire waitlist plus a few possible rejections on the shortlist  

2. They do accept international students quite frequently actually based on their statistics and CVs of current students.  Most of the probably have a US degree though.  I think it is just nonresponse bias.  It was a web interview so It would be easy to interview international students as well. Being a domestic student or having a US degree is definitely a strong advantage.  

9 minutes ago, NumStats said:

I think I just lost my chance for Carnegie and Columbia. They seem to have already sent out the all acceptance and waitlist, especially Carnagie.

Are you taking Columbia stats PhD or some other program. I don’t see anything on results.  

59 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

Are you taking Columbia stats PhD or some other program. I don’t see anything on results.  

Yeah I am taking the stats PhD. It is weird because some of the master applicants had already got the result. So I just assumed they've sent the PhD results earlier (?)

3 hours ago, BStat said:

Hi, 

Thanks

For question #2, according to a Chinese "gradcafe",  there are some people get interviewed by Yale, Columbia and etc. I guess there is no difference between international and domestic. All applicants should be interviewed in the same time frame. 

Edited by Laoceberg

11 minutes ago, Laoceberg said:

For question #2, according to a Chinese "gradcafe",  there are some people get interviewed by Yale, Columbia and etc. I guess there is no difference between international and domestic. All applicants should be interviewed in the same time frame. 

What's the name of the website for the Chinese "gradcafe"? I might want to look there as well for references.

50 minutes ago, NumStats said:

Yeah I am taking the stats PhD. It is weird because some of the master applicants had already got the result. So I just assumed they've sent the PhD results earlier (?)

My understanding is they have two admissions committees (or evaluate the MA and PhD applicants at the same time) but I may be wrong. In the past MA acceptances were occasionally reported before PhD.  Strangely there is very little data on Columbia’s PhD program admissions which is weird because they say they get hundreds of applicants. My estimate on a decision is the last two weeks for February.  I don’t know though because I heard from Kansas State way quicker than I expected.  It’s very possible that someone could have gotten accepted but it wasn’t supported.  I am not expecting to get in anyway so I am not as anxious. 

2 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

My understanding is they have two admissions committees (or evaluate the MA and PhD applicants at the same time) but I may be wrong. In the past MA acceptances were occasionally reported before PhD.  Strangely there is very little data on Columbia’s PhD program admissions which is weird because they say they get hundreds of applicants. My estimate on a decision is the last two weeks for February.  I don’t know though because I heard from Kansas State way quicker than I expected.  It’s very possible that someone could have gotten accepted but it wasn’t supported.  I am not expecting to get in anyway so I am not as anxious. 

Well hopefully that's the case. Maybe because the number of Master applicants is way more than the PhD applicants they review it first (?) I also found it weird that there are not many posts regarding Columbia Statistics. It seems that the applicants are quite a lot and the acceptance rate is decent. We can only wait for now; it is one of the highest ranked schools that I applied too, so I am not expecting that much either.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:44 AM, Woolworth said:

Looks like Duke acceptances came out today

For PhD or MS, or both? I applied for MS. I'm expecting a rejection, but either way haven't heard anything.