Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

4 hours ago, asue said:

No but I applied very late close to their deadline on 1/15. I emailed them and they said they will be sending out invitations through mid-February!

Sounds like not all hope is lost! Thanks for emailing them. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

On 1/29/2018 at 5:59 PM, Bayesian1701 said:

A&M probably still has a lot of offers to send out.  Where else did you apply (if you don't mind sharing)?  Only mainly the top programs (roughly) are beginning to send out results.   A lot more of them should start releasing soon,  and I wouldn't count yourself out.  

Yeah I hope so, because from my list, it seems that A&M has the highest acceptance rate.

This is the list of schools I applied to:

1. Columbia

2. NYU

3. CMU

4. Rice

5. UIUC (Illinois Urbana Champaign)

6. UCLA

7. UC Davis

8. UC Irvine

9. Notre Dame

10. Texas A&M

11. Penn State

12. WUSTL (Washington University in St. Louis)

13. Michigan Ann Harbor

Hi everyone, I have been following this thread for quite a few days. I wanted to share my results with you guys. Congrats to those of you who already got admission offers and good luck to all. I received two offers so far. NCSU with funding TA 18k$ for 9 months, and an admission from UNC biostat but no word on funding. Anybody has an idea about PhD applicants offered admission without funding at UNC biostat ? By the way I'm an International student with a US degree.

Edited by abdelkader_mrt

1 hour ago, abdelkader_mrt said:

Hi everyone, I have been following this thread for quite a few days. I wanted to share my results with you guys. Congrats to those of you who already got admission offers and good luck to all. I received two offers so far. NCSU with funding TA 18k$ for 9 months, and an admission from UNC biostat but no word on funding. Anybody has an idea about PhD applicants offered admission without funding at UNC biostat ? By the way I'm an International student with a US degree.

I think funding comes later. Looking through past threads I see some people get word about funding in March while others find out in February. I'm speculating that at least one more wave of acceptances is coming and if you were apart of a recent wave then I would think your chances at being offered funding are good (this is pure speculation).

Congrats on your offers!

21 hours ago, statscan9 said:

Waterloo told me they understand US schools have later timeframes for sending out acceptances, so they're fine with students accepting their offer now and then changing their minds in a month since they only give 3 weeks to accept or decline. I'd expect SFU is similar, but maybe just email the grad coordinator there to double check. I'm not sure what deposit you'd be asked to pay within the next month or two, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you for your reply! :DI will email the department dean. 

19 hours ago, NumStats said:

I saw a lot of people have already received admissions. Congrats to all of them! I haven't got any result from the schools that I applied to. Is this a sign of rejection? I am pretty stressed out waiting right now.

In the same boat, too. I am super anxious bcuz I know people have received offers / interviews from UNC/Duke/NYU DS. Hope that all guys could receive offers from schools they love! 

4 minutes ago, BayesianLove said:

I did, although I'm far from hopeful, and I haven't heard from them. It's funny that nobody here applied to Cornell, it's a hell of a school.

Yeah, this is the first week they've historically sent notices, so let's see what happens. They're doing some really interesting work. 

3 hours ago, Woolworth said:

Did anyone else apply to Cornell? Haven't heard much talk about their program. 

I wanted to but it seems like a small program and I felt like I needed to stick to the larger ones to have a shot. Good luck though! 

Hey all, I got an interview offer from NYU's Center for Data Science! Apologies if this isn't the appropriate thread for this, but I just compiled some information about interview preparation from other threads, and I figured I'd share my notes here for anyone else preparing for statistics PhD interviews. 

• Why do you need a PhD? Why now?
    • Story, leading up to why I have to get a PhD
      • The first thing to understand is that if the Professor wants to meet you, then your application must have impressed him and the grad school as a whole.
      • Every single interviewee got picked out of that application pile for a reason.  Figure out what your reason is (try asking your recommendation writers if you can't identify yours), and see where it takes you.
    • Go over SOP
    • Think about what your letter-writers may have written about you, etc.  Basically, know yourself and know what they know about you
    • Have an answer to "What are your career goals?" that shows both self-awareness and flexibility
  • Talk about my research, kinds of research I'm interested in
    • Go over my paper, things I want to do next
  • Why this department is a good fit
    • Go over SOP
    • Curriculum, details of program
    • Familiarity with faculty
    • If you have already got some offers, they may ask you how you rate this grad school relative to the offers you have got
  • Questions for faculty ("Have an unending supply of questions for the inevitable awkward moments")
    • What I think I need to learn about the department to make a decision
    • Ideally, read some of their recent papers and be ready to ask them questions about their recent research
    • knowledge about the campus and the environment
  • Possible questions for current students
    • ask about qualifying exams
    • get some info on good mentors
    • assess if the stipend is livable
  • Choose outfit
    • dress shirts/Button down shirt or nice sweater and (non-denim) slacks. No need for suit/tie. somewhere around business casual. Pick a professional outfit that is also comfortable.

Most of those notes are from these posts, which you may want to check out for their other information:

31 minutes ago, yosemitesam said:

Hey all, I got an interview offer from NYU's Center for Data Science! Apologies if this isn't the appropriate thread for this, but I just compiled some information about interview preparation from other threads, and I figured I'd share my notes here for anyone else preparing for statistics PhD interviews. 

• The first thing to understand is that if the Professor wants to meet you, then your application must have impressed him and the grad school as a whole.
      • Every single interviewee got picked out of that application pile for a reason.  Figure out what your reason is (try asking your recommendation writers if you can't identify yours), and see where it takes you.
    • Go over SOP
    • Think about what your letter-writers may have written about you, etc.  Basically, know yourself and know what they know about you
    • Have an answer to "What are your career goals?" that shows both self-awareness and flexibility
    • Go over SOP
    • If you have already got some offers, they may ask you how you rate this grad school relative to the offers you have got
  • Questions for faculty ("Have an unending supply of questions for the inevitable awkward moments")
    • Ideally, read some of their recent papers and be ready to ask them questions about their recent research
  • Choose outfit
    • dress shirts/Button down shirt or nice sweater and (non-denim) slacks. No need for suit/tie. somewhere around business casual. Pick a professional outfit that is also comfortable.

Most of those notes are from these posts, which you may want to check out for their other information:

Have they mentioned the number of interviews sent out? Not sure they are rolling basis or not, no updates from them yet.  congratulations and hope you do well in the interview!

There's an acceptance for the CMU PhD in Stats and Public Policy posted. I know this is a joint degree, so possibly a different timeframe, but an encouraging sign that the Statistics PhD news might be coming soon!

4 hours ago, Woolworth said:

Did anyone else apply to Cornell? Haven't heard much talk about their program. 

1 hour ago, Woolworth said:

Yeah, this is the first week they've historically sent notices, so let's see what happens. They're doing some really interesting work. 

I'm hoping to hear from Cornell, too. Does anyone know when their final interview weekend is? I fear that no news might mean rejection, but I'm holding on to a sliver of hope that it's waitlist instead.

1 hour ago, yosemitesam said:

• Go over SOP
    • Go over SOP
  • Choose outfit

Congratulation on the interview! When did you get the notification for it? I am also waiting for the result from them.

54 minutes ago, lovelillian said:

Have they mentioned the number of interviews sent out? Not sure they are rolling basis or not, no updates from them yet.  congratulations and hope you do well in the interview!

12 minutes ago, NumStats said:

Congratulation on the interview! When did you get the notification for it? I am also waiting for the result from them.

Thanks! I got an email yesterday morning. They didn't say how many people they emailed, but they asked me to confirm if I would be coming no later than Feb 7, so I imagine they'll email everyone before then.

NYU only enrolls one or two students each year and application is around 100. So I didn't apply for it...

Admissions and performance
We enroll one or two students each year;  these are chosen from approximately 100 highly qualified applicants.

Edited by Laoceberg

12 minutes ago, Laoceberg said:

NYU only enrolls one or two students each year and application is around 100. So I didn't apply for it...

Admissions and performance
We enroll one or two students each year;  these are chosen from approximately 100 highly qualified applicants.

I think you're talking about the program in Stern, right? I applied to the Center for Data Science.

41 minutes ago, Heterozygish said:

I'm hoping to hear from Cornell, too. Does anyone know when their final interview weekend is? I fear that no news might mean rejection, but I'm holding on to a sliver of hope that it's waitlist instead.

They don't do interviews. Based on gradcafe data, they send acceptances pretty uniformly starting this week until second week of March. 

1 hour ago, Woolworth said:

They don't do interviews. Based on gradcafe data, they send acceptances pretty uniformly starting this week until second week of March. 

I don't think that's entirely accurate. Someone in my program reported receiving an interview request last year mid-January. They definitely do some interviews, though it's possible that they don't interview all accepted students.

10 minutes ago, Heterozygish said:

I don't think that's entirely accurate. Someone in my program reported receiving an interview request last year mid-January. They definitely do some interviews, though it's possible that they don't interview all accepted students.

At the risk of seeming slightly condescending and/or obtuse, I have to ask if you're sure you're in the right sub-forum. Your profile indicates you're applying to plant genetics Ph.D. programs, and Cornell has such a program. This thread (and entire sub-forum) is meant for people in or applying to mathematics and statistics programs, which very likely do admissions differently from plant genetics programs.

Edited by speowi