Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

12 hours ago, realllllJulia said:

I was told that UMich Biostat has a strong preference for their MS student when recruiting PhDs. And it seems that they have not started to process the outside applicants.

I guess I can still be positive for a while. 

That's definitely true, their MS program fast-tracks into their PhD program so you can take PhD classes the second year of your MS.

And if that's true, they're probably years away from processing regular ol' MS applications...

Somebody posted an interview for University of Washington stats Ph.D. I thought they don't do interviews?

In the unlikely event that the person who posted it sees this, would you be comfortable providing any additional information about this?

They did Skype interviews this year for the first time in biostatistics. There were 28 interview slots (not sure how many were filled, though), so I think they interviewed most if not all of the candidates they are seriously considering. I don't know about statistics, however, just biostats. 

Edited by biostat314
Clarification

On 1/17/2018 at 9:02 PM, realllllJulia said:

I was told that UMich Biostat has a strong preference for their MS student when recruiting PhDs. And it seems that they have not started to process the outside applicants.

I guess I can still be positive for a while. 

According to the same person, on the Chineses forum I mentioned before, UMich accepted about 14 their own MS students as new PhD students LAST year. And there may be 20 or so new PhDs, different from year to year. I do hope the "20" is the # of enrollment, not of admission.

So I guess it's a reallllly competitive program... (Well I knew that.) Good luck to everyone here waiting for UMich.

3 hours ago, statbiostat2017 said:

Next week has been a historically exciting week! NC state stats will send our their waitlisted, rejects. Michigan and UNC acceptances should trickle in. Interview invites to Vanderbilt as well

Yeah, next week can be so exciting that this weekend is harder than ever. I'll try my best to mute both fora I refresh all the time this weekend. Even giving it a thought freaks me out. I'll try Netflix, and do some reading if possible. Else I will "Keep calm and HIT F5".

9 minutes ago, realllllJulia said:

According to the same person, on the Chineses forum I mentioned before, UMich accepted about 14 their own MS students as new PhD students LAST year. And there may be 20 or so new PhDs, different from year to year. I do hope the "20" is the # of enrollment, not of admission.

So I guess it's a reallllly competitive program... (Well I knew that.) Good luck to everyone here waiting for UMich.

Yeah, next week can be so exciting that this weekend is harder than ever. I'll try my best to mute both fora I refresh all the time this weekend. Even giving it a thought freaks me out. I'll try Netflix, and do some reading if possible. Else I will "Keep calm and HIT F5".

If you need a show recommendation check out Ozarks, black mirror, and end of the f***ing world. In that order

Well, that was a slow week for us! Had an informal interview for WUSTL (to check my English proficiency (?)). There's not a lot of information about their MSIBS program so here's some information I managed to gather which might be useful for future applicants.

Target class size is 15 but it varies. Was 7 last year but 22 the year before that. 50-60% of admitted students are international (mostly Chinese students). Industry placements are difficult for int'l students especially in recent times due to difficulties in obtaining H1B visas and what not, but 30-40% of the students go on to complete a PhD at other institutions (currently there's no PhD Biostats program at WUSTL). Not sure about funding yet. Final decisions will come out in 2 weeks.

Edited by Cal1gula

On 2018/1/20 at 8:07 AM, statbiostat2017 said:

Next week has been a historically exciting week! NC state stats will send our their waitlisted, rejects. Michigan and UNC acceptances should trickle in. Interview invites to Vanderbilt as well

Thx for your information! May I ask, what about interviews(online?) for international applicants in Vanderbilt? 

On 1/18/2018 at 10:54 PM, speowi said:

Somebody posted an interview for University of Washington ("University Of Washinton") stats Ph.D. I thought they don't do interviews?

In the unlikely event that the person who posted it sees this, would you be comfortable providing any additional information about this?

An acceptance popped up for UWashington stats (international no details) when I checked before class a few hours ago.  Usually, there is a pretty big wave of notifications once they start coming in.  It could be spam since there is only one right now and the interview result is weird since it is still the only one.  If a bunch of uwashington results come out today the earlier interview may have been for biostats or an outlier.

On 1/22/2018 at 12:15 PM, MATHSSSSRR said:

NERVOUS ><

Will NCSU send out any more AD offers? One of my recommendation letters was submitted at the end of Dec... Hope they will still consider my application... Any chance? 

Possibly after some of them get declined by people who choose to go elsewhere.   Their admissions faq suggests it is more like a rolling system.  Their yield is probably low so it's definitely possible they will send more out and that you might have your application reviewed.  Have you emailed them?

Between SheldonCopper's report, the unprecedented and isolated interview result posted, and now this single admissions result, I have no idea what to believe about the admissions timeline for UW stats this year, although I am inclined to give SheldonCopper's report more weight...

Doesn't UW biostats usually come out before UW stats?

I tend to believe those isolated early ads/interviews are for applicants affiliated to the department, says current undergraduate or master students. 

My friend in EE/CS just suggested another possibility: the applicant may have contacted professor/PI in advance and got admitted. But I'm not sure whether it works for Stat/Biostat.

Edited by realllllJulia

3 minutes ago, realllllJulia said:

I tend to believe those isolated early ads/interviews are for applicants affiliated to the department, says current undergraduate or master students. 

My friend in EE/CS just suggested another possibility: the applicant may have contacted professor/PI in advance and got admitted. But I'm not sure whether it works for Stat/Biostat.

No... Duke do not interview their own STA students... I think EE/CS professors have their projects and can directly say whether they wanna the students in their labs or not... in statistics... not common... but definitely, if they want you in advance... it counts a lot

28 minutes ago, MATHSSSSRR said:

+Thanks anyway:) I am really worried though... have not heard from any school yet >< This is  a big week >< 

Where are you applying?  There are probably 2-4 weeks to go on decisions from the historically later schools (Kansas State,  Texas A&M,  Missouri).  A lot of results are going to likely come out but some places (especially those with late deadlines) just take longer.  Duke interviews were pretty much on schedule (arguably a few days late)  so that isn't surprising.   I was told during my interview that they were aiming to send out responses by Friday so I would imagine they have notified almost everyone about an interview.  And if you didn't make the Duke interview cut that doesn't probably mean you won't get in elsewhere since it is one of the most competitive programs.  

Hey FYI I got an acceptance email from UNC on Jan 11. So far I've heard acceptances from UNC and NC State, nothing from the following:

• Duke
  • MIT's SES PhD program
  • UCLA or Berkeley's masters programs
  • Cal Tech's PhD in Computing + Mathematical Sciences
  • Penn Wharton
  • NYU Center for Data Science
  • Chicago
  • Columbia (although their deadline was 01/12)
  • USC Marshall (their deadline was 01/15)

14 minutes ago, yosemitesam said:

Hey FYI I got an acceptance email from UNC on Jan 11. So far I've heard acceptances from UNC and NC State, nothing from the following:

Congrat!!

What program did you apply to? Stat or Biostat? MS or PhD? I mean for UNC and NCSU.

Edited by realllllJulia