Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

4 minutes ago, wildUNCfan said:

I got an email from UNC Biostats this morning, but I haven’t opened it yet. I’m at work and I don’t want to ruin my day if it’s a rejection. Is it a good sign that I was part of (I believe) an early wave?

It's very rare for rejections to go out early, and all the UNC posts are acceptances so far. I'd say you should look!

3 hours ago, StatHopeful said:

UNC sent email this morning. They seem to send a big batch over a few days starting around this time.

Congrats!! I know you'll make it. 

I'm still waiting anxiously. Knowing what is going on makes me feel easier.

4 hours ago, wildUNCfan said:

I got an email from UNC Biostats this morning, but I haven’t opened it yet. I’m at work and I don’t want to ruin my day if it’s a rejection. Is it a good sign that I was part of (I believe) an early wave?

Did you end up applying to phd programs? I know you originally were thinking just masters

1 hour ago, statbiostat2017 said:

Did you end up applying to phd programs? I know you originally were thinking just masters

Yes, I applied about half and half PhDs to Masters. I applied to both Harvard and UNC Biostats PhD. I did get an acceptance from UNC today. It was my first time hearing back from anywhere, so that’s a big relief. For what it’s worth, I haven’t heard back from Harvard yet.

I’m also waiting to hear about a couple regular Stats programs: PhD/Masters from UChicago, and Masters from Berkeley and Stanford. I’ve been eagerly following this thread the past few weeks waiting for news...

31 minutes ago, wildUNCfan said:

Yes, I applied about half and half PhDs to Masters. I applied to both Harvard and UNC Biostats PhD. I did get an acceptance from UNC today. It was my first time hearing back from anywhere, so that’s a big relief. For what it’s worth, I haven’t heard back from Harvard yet.

I’m also waiting to hear about a couple regular Stats programs: PhD/Masters from UChicago, and Masters from Berkeley and Stanford. I’ve been eagerly following this thread the past few weeks waiting for news...

Congratulations! Yes an acceptance is a huge relief and something I hope everyone on here will experience soon. 

On 1/24/2018 at 3:48 PM, statbiostat2017 said:

@asue Have you heard from UNC?

I haven't but I also applied really late (right before the 1/09 deadline) and not before the Dec 12th fellowship deadline so I am assuming they are still reviewing my application. I probably should have applied before the Dec 12 deadline but was so swamped with finals - oh well! 

Just got replied from NCSU, I was wait listed >< 

Have no idea, whether I can be removed from the list or not... 

Idk how to submit my result since it says "You entered the Captcha words incorrectly"......

Does it mean people who get emails earlier have a bigger chance to get in? The emails said they are not going to provide any ranks or chances.

And I was told some programs send out a lot ADs and expect only 50% students may come... even some students turn the offers down... they won't send more offers to waitlisted students

Edited by MATHSSSSRR

25 minutes ago, MATHSSSSRR said:

Idk how to submit my result since it says "You entered the Captcha words incorrectly"......

Does it mean people who get emails earlier have a bigger chance to get in? The emails said they are not going to provide any ranks or chances.

And I was told some programs send out a lot ADs and expect only 50% students may come... even some students turn the offers down... they won't send more offers to waitlisted students

I heard the same thing about NCSU that they sent out a ton of offers. To help speculate when did your app say complete? Mine was completed in the 12/19 and I got waitlisted on 1/23. 

9 minutes ago, statbiostat2017 said:

I heard the same thing about NCSU that they sent out a ton of offers. To help speculate when did your app say complete? Mine was completed in the 12/19 and I got waitlisted on 1/23. 

I submitted mine on 12/14 but it wasn't marked complete until 12/19.

37 minutes ago, MATHSSSSRR said:

That is bad news, they probably also also send quite a few waitlist decisions. Judging from your post time, we received the wait-list decision almost the same time. 

13 minutes ago, statbiostat2017 said:

Mine was completed on 12/29... It was really late... I did not update my transcript either.... 

9 minutes ago, AndrewYao said:

That is bad news, they probably also also send quite a few waitlist decisions. Judging from your post time, we received the wait-list decision almost the same time. 

Well their visit weekend is the end of February so I wouldn't expect anyone gets off the waitlist until early March. Based off of the results page I see at least a couple people getting off of the waitlist in past years!

29 minutes ago, statbiostat2017 said:

Well their visit weekend is the end of February so I wouldn't expect anyone gets off the waitlist until early March. Based off of the results page I see at least a couple people getting off of the waitlist in past years!

That is somewhat reassuring, I guess. 

Was anyone else with a Duke stats interview told when to expect results or has received a result?   I thought my interviewer said that results would be out by the end of this week,  but she might have said it was their goal meaning it is not necessarily happening today.  I need to commit to UT's visit weekend (2/22-2/24) soon but I don't want to until I know if I got into Duke and in case it is the same weekend.