Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

26 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

Where are you applying?  There are probably 2-4 weeks to go on decisions from the historically later schools (Kansas State,  Texas A&M,  Missouri).  A lot of results are going to likely come out but some places (especially those with late deadlines) just take longer.  Duke interviews were pretty much on schedule (arguably a few days late)  so that isn't surprising.   I was told during my interview that they were aiming to send out responses by Friday so I would imagine they have notified almost everyone about an interview.  And if you didn't make the Duke interview cut that doesn't probably mean you won't get in elsewhere since it is one of the most competitive programs.  

I applied to mostly second-tier programs. I am an international student. I did my master here. I dont have a strong background. So very understandably, I have not heard from any program yet. My target school is ncsu and unc... Duke is out of my league lol 

22 hours ago, speowi said:

Between SheldonCopper's report, the unprecedented and isolated interview result posted, and now this single admissions result, I have no idea what to believe about the admissions timeline for UW stats this year, although I am inclined to give SheldonCopper's report more weight...

Doesn't UW biostats usually come out before UW stats?

1 day later the UW stats acceptance is looking pretty odd.  Sometimes I wonder if people put fake results in to mess with people or something.  Do the outliers (in general) have an explanation or are they just made up?  Could nonresponse bias mean that the outliers aren't actually outliers?  I just want the waiting to be over already.  I wish more places reviewed applications before the deadline.   I get that they want to see the entire pool but you could begin to sort and rank the applications early and add applications as they came in.  

27 minutes ago, statbiostat2017 said:

NC state received 500 applications and I got my first good news: waitlisted! Never thought it would feel so good to be waitlisted!

I have not heard from them....yet... does it mean rejected?

When did you receive the email? Is that Biostat or Stat?

25 minutes ago, MATHSSSSRR said:

I have not heard from them....yet... does it mean rejected?

When did you receive the email? Is that Biostat or Stat?

About an hour ago ( 2pm pst). It's their stat dept but my letter writers/ my statement was tailored to the biostats group. 

Waitlist results trickle in throughout February and March in previous years.

Edited by statbiostat2017

2 hours ago, statbiostat2017 said:

About an hour ago ( 2pm pst). It's their stat dept but my letter writers/ my statement was tailored to the biostats group. 

Waitlist results trickle in throughout February and March in previous years.

Thanks for the information:) But 500 applicants >< This is a huge POOL.... lol  Good luck on your other applications:) 

6 hours ago, jensenabyss said:

Another day has gone I am still all alone :-(

My boyfriend has already received 3 letter of rejection which really terrified me. Hope to receive good news tomorrow.

Which programs are those rejections letters? I haven't see many rejections for phds in results search....

2 hours ago, lovelillian said:

may i know your rough background?

Sure.  I have research experience from basically day 1 of undergrad.   For over two years it has been on a project that I have designed myself that is independent (and in a different subfield) of my mentor's (associate stats professor) research.  I am graduating in three years with a math major and econ minor and working on my second manuscript.  The first one is still unpublished but was an honorable mention in a national contest.   My undergrad institution is a Texas state school and has a joint math/stat department.  It has a Math PhD program, but definitely is not highly ranked.  Another thing to note is that I am a Texas resident so that might have helped a little bit.  More details are here.   My SOP was not customized at all to institutions and I told them all I want to do applied Bayesian statistics focusing on social science applications. 

I also got into Texas A&M with funding and they are recommending me for a diversity fellowship. 

My research experience is probably why I got into UT Austin and A&M and made Duke's shortlist.  I am not declining any offers until I know all my results.   I need to know that I can continue my research.  You might be able to identify me, but please keep that info to yourself.

10 hours ago, qingdan said:

Which programs are those rejections letters? I haven't see many rejections for phds in results search....

He applied for Ph.D. programs of neuroscience. It seems that those programs rarely recruit international students.

Edited by jensenabyss