Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

Hi guys, I just got a PhD offer at Cambridge (biostat) and waiting list at Oxford (stat). I got no result from US schools (except a damn reject from UW...). Not sure if I should accept Cambridge (if I go, I think I need postdoc in the US after graduation)...

Meanwhile, it's quite surprising that someone has either accepted or rejected at UChicago on Jan 26. Does this mean that those who have no result are waiting listed? 

Anyway, hope everyone has a good result.

5 minutes ago, Epi5tat said:

Hi guys, I just got a PhD offer at Cambridge (biostat) and waiting list at Oxford (stat). I got no result from US schools (except a damn reject from UW...). Not sure if I should accept Cambridge (if I go, I think I need postdoc in the US after graduation)...

Meanwhile, it's quite surprising that someone has either accepted or rejected at UChicago on Jan 26. Does this mean that those who have no result are waiting listed? 

Congrats !!!

Edited by kelsia

In particular UW. In the last 3-4 years, the results page shows that master's decisions came out the same day or within a day of PhD rejections. However, rejections were released on Friday/Saturday and there's still no sign of MS decisions. 

Edited by burd

I also think apps may be up across the board.  Not sure by how much considering since it goes up almost every year but it could have increased more than usual.  More applications could delay timelines.   Not trying to be condescending here but we know that the results survey has nonresponse, possible misclassification or falsified data, and decision dates vary year to year. I totally struggle with overanalyzing results too though.   I know it has issues but that doesn’t stop me from creating predictions of when my results will come out and what they will be.  

12 hours ago, Epi5tat said:

Congratulations! Re: Chicago, I don't think that's necessarily the case. Based on past results, it seems like they release acceptances and rejections in a slow trickle. But I'm not entirely sure. I don't know much about their program and am basing this only on the results page of this website.

14 hours ago, Epi5tat said:

Congrats! I feel you. Damn rej from UW on Friday night.

BTW, did you apply for UChicago Biostat PhD?

3 hours ago, burd said:

In particular UW. In the last 3-4 years, the results page shows that master's decisions came out the same day or within a day of PhD rejections. However, rejections were released on Friday/Saturday and there's still no sign of MS decisions. 

The wait is making me anxious. I received an email from UW yesterday, only to find out it was for a survey about the application process. 

6 hours ago, sherrycoco said:

Congrats! I feel you. Damn rej from UW on Friday night.

BTW, did you apply for UChicago Biostat PhD?

Yes, my friend, I do have applied UChicago Biostat Ph.D. (if you mean the one public health science). I had the interview on Jan 11. Have you got any updates on this program? It seems that this program is so public health based...

5 hours ago, Woolworth said:

Looks like Duke acceptances came out today

Agreed. I haven’t heard so I am assuming a rejection or waitlist  at this point. That’s rational right? There are five posted and I think they notified them last night. 

18 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

Agreed. I haven’t heard so I am assuming a rejection or waitlist  at this point. That’s rational right? There are five posted and I think they notified them last night. 

Just looking at gradcafe, it looks like there's only one round of acceptances, but you can't put too much faith in that. Don't call it just yet, especially since you had an interview. 

18 minutes ago, StatHopeful said:

Has anyone heard anything from UMich Biostat? There's a random phone acceptance on the results page. Wasn't sure if acceptances were starting to trickle out.

Nothing here. That isolated result is driving me insane.

But it seems that they sent out rejections at the same time with acceptance's, last year. So I guess the waiting game for UMich is reaching the end.

On 1/31/2018 at 11:56 AM, burd said:

I have emailed UW today and they say that they are still reviewing MS applications and the decisions will be out sometime in the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, cocod17 said:

I have emailed UW today and they say that they are still reviewing MS applications and the decisions will be out sometime in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the update! At least now I can stop checking my email/portal every hour for a couple of weeks...