Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

On 22/1/2018 at 3:28 PM, Bayesian1701 said:

Possibly after some of them get declined by people who choose to go elsewhere.   Their admissions faq suggests it is more like a rolling system.  Their yield is probably low so it's definitely possible they will send more out and that you might have your application reviewed.  Have you emailed them?

Why is the yield for NCSU so low? Why would they get declined so often? They rank 10 (tied) in the last US News Rank, their stipend is competitive (USD 18k for nine months), the city/weather looks fine.

Also, haven't heard from UT Austin and TAMU, but you did. Guess I'm informally out of the game for them.

Edited by BayesianLove
missing word

3 hours ago, jensenabyss said:

Hey guys, I have another question of admission and please help me!

I just received an offer from SFU but I heard that there is only a few weeks for making a decision. All of my application for universities in US haven't got any news yet :-(

Here are my questions:

1. Can I email to other universities, telling them my situation now, to ask them to tell me the status of my application?

2. Is it really really terrible to pay a deposit fee but go to another school in the end? 

I really need help for these. Thank you very much!

Waterloo told me they understand US schools have later timeframes for sending out acceptances, so they're fine with students accepting their offer now and then changing their minds in a month since they only give 3 weeks to accept or decline. I'd expect SFU is similar, but maybe just email the grad coordinator there to double check. I'm not sure what deposit you'd be asked to pay within the next month or two, so that shouldn't be a problem.

2 hours ago, BayesianLove said:

Why is the yield for NCSU so low? Why would they get declined so often? They rank 10 (tied) in the last US News Rank, their stipend is competitive (USD 18k for nine months), the city/weather looks fine.

Also, haven't heard from UT Austin and TAMU, but you did. Guess I'm informally out of the game for them.

Yield rates look to be around 40-50% in general, and I think it is because people get multiple offers frequently and you can't attend everywhere.  

31 minutes ago, cocod17 said:

Yes. I think it's probably twice higher than what it used to be in the past few years.

It's higher than usual but definitely not twice as high. Yale's website says that they received about 350 applications in 2017.

Source: https://statistics.yale.edu/academics/graduate-programs/terminal-ma-program/terminal-ma-admissions

Edited by speowi

24 minutes ago, lovelillian said:

To be honest, I don't think this year they are gonna waitlist anyone,  they already sent out around 30 ads and  usually 15 will enroll finally

Actually I got waitlisted! So, that's why I was asking :)

39 minutes ago, cchef said:

It seems like a few people have gotten interviews from Johns Hopkins (Biostat PhD) on different days. Does anyone know if they're still in the process of sending out invitations? Congrats to those who got them! 

I had posted that I got an interview, and I can tell you the visit is scheduled for the last weekend in February. I haven't seen other results or heard from anyone else.

1 hour ago, speowi said:

It's higher than usual but definitely not twice as high. Yale's website says that they received about 350 applications in 2017.

Source: https://statistics.yale.edu/academics/graduate-programs/terminal-ma-program/terminal-ma-admissions

Thanks for the clarification! I didn't apply for Yale's MA program so I didn't do much research on it, sorry for the misinformation. One of the programs I applied for usually has about 200 applications each year so I guess I mistakenly thought that 200 is usually the number of applications most schools will receive.

I saw a lot of people have already received admissions. Congrats to all of them! I haven't got any result from the schools that I applied to. Is this a sign of rejection? I am pretty stressed out waiting right now.

4 minutes ago, NumStats said:

I saw a lot of people have already received admissions. Congrats to all of them! I haven't got any result from the schools that I applied to. Is this a sign of rejection? I am pretty stressed out waiting right now.

What programs did you apply to?

3 minutes ago, NumStats said:

I applied mostly Statistics and some Data Science/Machine Learning. I applied to 13 schools in total.

It's still early for many traditional stats programs and without knowing where you applied don't worry yet

3 minutes ago, statbiostat2017 said:

It's still early for many traditional stats programs and without knowing where you applied don't worry yet

I am waiting for A&M result since I saw some people had got back from them and I submitted the application pretty early too. Most of deadlines were on December tho. I'm really afraid I won't get any

13 minutes ago, NumStats said:

I am waiting for A&M result since I saw some people had got back from them and I submitted the application pretty early too. Most of deadlines were on December tho. I'm really afraid I won't get any

If you are applying for master programs, then you don't need to worry.  13 schools are pretty safe.

7 minutes ago, Laoceberg said:

If you are applying for master programs, then you don't need to worry.  13 schools are pretty safe.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I applied for all Ph.D programs. I was a little bit too confident that I would be fine, but after seeing the GPA, GRE, and past experiences of those who got accepted and rejected I'm starting to doubt my chance. 

10 minutes ago, NumStats said:

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I applied for all Ph.D programs. I was a little bit too confident that I would be fine, but after seeing the GPA, GRE, and past experiences of those who got accepted and rejected I'm starting to doubt my chance. 

I am in the same boat. But I kinda believe it will be fine in the end. It's still early. Just wait hopefully.

11 minutes ago, realllllJulia said:

I am in the same boat. But I kinda believe it will be fine in the end. It's still early. Just wait hopefully.

Yeah I guess that's all we can do. Thanks all for the responses, I'll wait a bit more. Hope this week is going to be a great one 

1 hour ago, NumStats said:

For what it's worth, I'm also in the same boat, plus I have a very likely rejection from Duke since I never received an interview invitation. It's stressful, but we should start getting results soon!

1 hour ago, rosebud123 said:

I had posted that I got an interview, and I can tell you the visit is scheduled for the last weekend in February. I haven't seen other results or heard from anyone else.

Thanks for the information. Have you heard anything from JHU, @asue

44 minutes ago, cchef said:

Thanks for the information. Have you heard anything from JHU, @asue

No but I applied very late close to their deadline on 1/15. I emailed them and they said they will be sending out invitations through mid-February!

4 hours ago, NumStats said:

A&M probably still has a lot of offers to send out.  Where else did you apply (if you don't mind sharing)?  Only mainly the top programs (roughly) are beginning to send out results.   A lot more of them should start releasing soon,  and I wouldn't count yourself out.  

Rejected by Emory (expected, but disappointing--I guess you never get used to getting rejections). The next few months will be tough. Going to brace myself for the inevitable string of rejections from Michigan, Minnesota (optimistically speaking, the results should be out next week) and Vanderbilt.