MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

1 hour ago, ipaintandipout said:

Anyone checking Google Analytics like crazy? I finally set it up over the weekend but think it's only adding to the stress. It's showing 55 sessions over the past three days from Boston, but of those 51 are new users. I'm hoping it's from the BU admissions process, but the number of new users seems a little high for that?

Trying to interpret this info is making me so paranoid ? Definitely going to need a stiff drink after this.

Just to give you a sense of what I've learned so far about Google analytics...

Got 2 interviews (two different programs) from SAIC: 2 GA hits from Chicago

Got an interview from the Corcoran in DC: exactly 1 GA hit from Arlington, VA

So I'm not sure how important they are taking websites into account!

This is my second year applying to MFA Painting programs.

I applied to the following:

Temple University

Ohio State University

Ohio University

University of Norte Dame

Virginia Common Wealth University

Columbus College of Art and Design

Finished up my applications, tomorrow is the deadline for University of Florida which is the last deadline on my list. Good luck to everyone!

Applied for Painting programs at:

Rutgers

University of Florida

Florida State University

University of Georgia

Georgia State University

New York Academy of Art

University of Washington

University of Connecticut

Edited by AndrewN

wish i had known about this sooner would have helped so much

such an isolating lonely process been pretty rough

pretty devastated by today northwestern rejection, and terrified of yale new later this week.

however, some good news in that i am an interview at penndesign and parsons in febuary.

i am wondering if anyone knows what i should prepare for the interview, i dont know anyone else personally who has done the process

do i need to have a presentation prepared or is questions

any info

also what are peoples thoughts on parsons i liked the professors but the program maybe seemed a little unprofessional 

15 minutes ago, Tomcat said:

wish i had known about this sooner would have helped so much

such an isolating lonely process been pretty rough

pretty devastated by today northwestern rejection, and terrified of yale new later this week.

however, some good news in that i am an interview at penndesign and parsons in febuary.

i am wondering if anyone knows what i should prepare for the interview, i dont know anyone else personally who has done the process

do i need to have a presentation prepared or is questions

any info

also what are peoples thoughts on parsons i liked the professors but the program maybe seemed a little unprofessional 

Congrats on the interview,

Luckily I have had guidance from professors and friends that are in grad school to help me through it, even though it is still a lonely experience to go through. From what I have heard, the interview is not %100 that you got in but is a good indicator you are being strongly considered and they are narrowing their search. I've been told that they really just want to know why you want to go to the school over the other places you applied to, so make sure you do research on the school and why specifically you want to go there. Things like the professors, studios, resources,  emphasis on a particular concentration, and you can even mention how the school would be perfect based on the tuition or free housing as why you want to go there, just make sure they don't think that is the only reason why you applied. 

Who knows when will decisions from the following schools will be posted: Rutgers, CUNY Hunter, Temple, PAFA, University of Delaware, UF, LSU ?? 

I know that temple has sent out interview requests, but will they send more? Also how much does it have to do with how late your recommenders send their letters? Will they tell you if they reject you? Or you just have to wait till like march to hear back? .... #anxiousAF .  

2 hours ago, charoarte said:

Who knows when will decisions from the following schools will be posted: Rutgers, CUNY Hunter, Temple, PAFA, University of Delaware, UF, LSU ?? 

I know that temple has sent out interview requests, but will they send more? Also how much does it have to do with how late your recommenders send their letters? Will they tell you if they reject you? Or you just have to wait till like march to hear back? .... #anxiousAF .  

UF should be early march i think that is what it said on their website

New to the forums as I just found them this evening...

Had a three year plan/goal to apply to a bunch of schools this year, but ended up swimming in work, then not enough money, then holidays, then one of my main references bailed, yada yada...

So I only managed UCLA, which in turn became my top pick. Applied for Sculpture with drawing heavy portfolio. Ended up rushing everything because I was installing a big (for me) show in Toronto, and submitted supplemental app with 5 minutes to spare .5a72b706660b2_ScreenShot2018-02-01at1_45_18AM.png.e31d7fb2029b4e97c4bcc6a772713dca.png 

(deadline was 5 my time). Worst stress time of my life.

God at this point im just ranting.

I have a friend at UCLA and she told me for photo she got interview request last week of Jan. In my growing paranoia and obsession I found this wonderful place!!

So, any word on UCLA anyone?

16 minutes ago, AKinLA said:

Question: 

WHO did you pick as your recommenders? 

WHat about people who have been out of school more than 10 years?

You asking me? 

-An employer/mentor ( i am an artist assistant/concept artist for a major artist, so that's who) 

-PhD in Art History, head of at history department at my old school (Concordia)

-Teacher I had in ceramics for my full BFA; she knows me the best.

1 hour ago, hegelmadness said:

Why have people started receiving rejections already? I thought we all won't know until April. 

for many schools, there is a two-tier acceptance process, the first being a general application and supplementary ect and the second being a formal in-person interview. it is pretty normal to find out in February if you have made it to the second part and schedule a February or march interview or simply rejected.  

that is a nice thing for the school to do because it means ur not waiting for those who are still being considered to be interviewed and selected from to wait for your

rejection. 

I've been reading this thread nervously for the past couple of days. I applied for painting to:

Yale,

Columbia,

Rutgers,

Hunter,

UCLA,

Berkeley,

Cal State

No word from anyone yet but I read here someone else already received an interview request from Berkeley so I'm assuming that's my first rejection (they only accept 6 people). Nervous about Yale tomorrow (especially as it's my birthday ha) but I'm aware of the odds.

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone and I'm super grateful for this forum as I've been obsessing about my apps for ages.

Edited by Paintyface

1 hour ago, Paintyface said:

I've been reading this thread nervously for the past couple of days. I applied for painting to:

Yale,

Columbia,

Rutgers,

Hunter,

UCLA,

Berkeley,

Cal State

No word from anyone yet but I read here someone else already received an interview request from Berkeley so I'm assuming that's my first rejection (they only accept 6 people). Nervous about Yale tomorrow (especially as it's my birthday ha) but I'm aware of the odds.

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone and I'm super grateful for this forum as I've been obsessing about my apps for ages.

Happy early birthday and I hope you're awarded with some good news! I was relieved to find this forum as well. A lot of my friends are not artists so it's nice to be able to lament and share nervous anticipation with people. Luckily, getting an MFA is just part of the process of our lifelong careers as artists, not the end goal. We'll keep making art regardless of these application decisions. Good luck!

Edited by Hemlock028

3 hours ago, Paintyface said:

Yale,

Columbia,

Rutgers,

Hunter,

UCLA,

Berkeley,

Cal State

Why do you say you'r "nervous for Yale tomorrow?" Is it something about Fridays, is that when interviews are sent out or something?

sincerely, ovr analyzer

1 hour ago, marlonk said:

Why do you say you'r "nervous for Yale tomorrow?" Is it something about Fridays, is that when interviews are sent out or something?

sincerely, ovr analyzer

I don't have any new info, just going on what's been said in the forums about past interview dates. I don't think anyone knows for sure. No need to worry :)

I received interviews for SAIC Fashion and MICA MAT program, still waiting to hear from my other applications. I just wanted to say good luck to everyone in this process, I know that most people are on the edge of their seats refreshing that email inbox. I would suggest starting a new piece in the studio, and putting most of your energy into that work :D Good luck to all!! 

24 minutes ago, nmelnicky said:

I received interviews for SAIC Fashion and MICA MAT program, still waiting to hear from my other applications. I just wanted to say good luck to everyone in this process, I know that most people are on the edge of their seats refreshing that email inbox. I would suggest starting a new piece in the studio, and putting most of your energy into that work :D Good luck to all!! 

Hey! I've also applied to the MICA MFA. Haven't heard from them yet. Is that a rejection? Will schools be sending out rejection emails as well? 

25 minutes ago, Padfoot said:

Anyone applied for the RCA MFA? 

If yes, any news anyone? 

Yooo! I got an interview with them about a week ago. My interview will be on Feb. 6th for MA - Photography. From what was shown on their site though, there are three different rounds of application periods. 

2 hours ago, Roninknows said:

Yooo! I got an interview with them about a week ago. My interview will be on Feb. 6th for MA - Photography. From what was shown on their site though, there are three different rounds of application periods. 

2 hours ago, Roninknows said:

Wow that’s great! All the best! :D do these periods depend on when you applied? I finished applying 10 days ago around the 20th. Around what time did you apply? Just tryig to figure their timeline.