HKS 2018

Stacy_85

Harvard, for me, is a tumblr page right now: the HKS Admissions Blog. I guess it's the same for many of us. But how far further do you allow yourself to fantasize about ivy's number one? Do you see yourself on Harvard Square, browsing the shelves at the Coop, buying some discounted Harvard devotional objects? Attend The Game and cheer on the Crimson? Walk the stalls in Widener Library?

I don't. I only look as far as the tumblr page because I like to be cautious with these kinds of things. Many People tend to become excited, talk endlessly with friends about the 'what if's, start decorating their new Cambridge apartment in their heads and already have new imaginary Harvard classmates and inside jokes (creepy). I'm on the other end of that spectrum: I hardly told anyone about my application and tell myself that it's not going to happen anyways, just so the rejection pain can't get too crass.

How do you deal with life in this inbetween-space? Did you share your application on Facebook? Have you already put down money for a condo in Cambridge and stalked out the best coffee place along your morning stroll to HKS? Or are you as much an optimist as me and told noone so they can't rub it in your Harvard-wannabe face after Matt takes you behind the barn?

Edited by CFGauß

I fall into your line of thinking: keep expectations low to reduce the possible pain of rejection. I only told family members and a select group of friends that I was applying, even then while using self-deprecating humor. Don't get me wrong -- I consider myself a very strong candidate, but believe most applicants could say the same. Several family members have encouraged me to follow the money (Harris and Wagner are free with the GI Bill), regardless of an HKS acceptance, and I've echoed those sentiments repeatedly since applying. If I'm being honest though, I would write that check to HKS with a very large smile on my face. (Full disclosure: HKS would be 30k out of pocket for me -- I would definitely not pay full tuition there while having free options at other fine institutions)

For me, it's pretty likely that I would get full tuition and a stipend from an outside source which makes it even harder to shove those potentially hurting happy thoughts back down (morning run along the charles river as the sun sets is one of them right now).

I almost feel as if you can't put in as strong of an application if you don't let the idea of being there subsume you. Every word I typed had great expectations behind it. I'm going to go absolutely crazy if I'm accepted and will be totally bummed if I'm not let in or, even worse, waitlisted (would never pay sticker). The process was far too involved to merely let it roll off my shoulders if it doesn't work out.

I'm, thankfully, in a position to get over it and apply next year even stronger, however. I guess I'm positioned for either reality.

I haven't told many that I've applied neither, other than my closer friends/mentors and, of course, the employer who wrote one of my letters (that was awkward haha).

38 minutes ago, CFGauß said:

For me, it's pretty likely that I would get full tuition and a stipend from an outside source which makes it even harder to shove those potentially hurting happy thoughts back down (morning run along the charles river as the sun sets is one of them right now).

Wo kommste her? Ich war vor einen Jahr in Bonn/Berlin als Forscher unterwegs. Ich will zuruck! 

On 2/5/2018 at 8:18 AM, lackey said:

Found this on their Tumblr. Does this apply to fall grades? I wanted to send my updated transcript...

Question: Can I submit additional information regarding my candidacy?

While we understand that applicants continue to engage in work and activities, receive recognition for work performed, earn scholarships, etc., we are unable to add additional information or updated documents (such as an updated resume or scholarship award notification) to an application file. 

On the Financial Aid page, it says this:

"Important note on official documents: If you are admitted and choose to accept our offer, official copies of your transcripts sent directly from the issuing institution are required for matriculation. It may be in your best interest to submit official documents during the application process."

So I actually believe you can. No idea how nor where, however. Good luck!

Edited by Damis

Regarding the day of decisions, I have analyzed (=read) what Matt wrote in previous years and they have consistently released results on the second Wednesday in March (at least the last five years, I believe). So, while the results came out last year on March 8, we will suffer a setback by six days, since the second Wednesday is March 14 this year. That is, if my analysis is correct.

On ‎14‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 4:16 PM, Prester John said:

14th is too late I think. US universities have an unwritten rule of releasing results before March 15th. My guess is 9th, Friday...

I certainly hope so but on this very day one year ago, Matt had already published ten of in the end 20 posts on the "Reading and Decision Process". Since he mostly copy&pastes old posts in that category, I assume that we will - again - end up at 20+ posts this year. Our current posting is number seven. The implication being, that he delays posting in that category this year which might be due to the significantly later d-day.

Maybe my theory is only born from a dangerous mixture of boredom and anxiety but the evidence is there! (#panicnow #tinfoilhat)

10 hours ago, CFGauß said:

I certainly hope so but on this very day one year ago, Matt had already published ten of in the end 20 posts on the "Reading and Decision Process". Since he mostly copy&pastes old posts in that category, I assume that we will - again - end up at 20+ posts this year. Our current posting is number seven. The implication being, that he delays posting in that category this year which might be due to the significantly later d-day.

Maybe my theory is only born from a dangerous mixture of boredom and anxiety but the evidence is there! (#panicnow #tinfoilhat)

Lol

Anyone's applied to the PhD program? 

I have just quickly gone through this thread and found out about the HKS admissions blog. They mentioned that the financial aid application is completely independent of the application process and that we need to have applied by Feb 9 if we want to be considered for fellowships at HKS... Given that I've obviously missed the deadline, does that mean that even if I am miraculously admitted, I will not be funded in any case? :ph34r:

Edit: Never mind, I've just found that webpage where they mentioned that PhD applicants are automatically considered for fellowships when their applications are reviewed. Phew...!! I was quite panicked, lol... I guess the financial aid application is for Masters programs (?).

Edited by Cookiz

On ‎18‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 8:47 AM, Cookiz said:

Anyone's applied to the PhD program? 

I have just quickly gone through this thread and found out about the HKS admissions blog. They mentioned that the financial aid application is completely independent of the application process and that we need to have applied by Feb 9 if we want to be considered for fellowships at HKS... Given that I've obviously missed the deadline, does that mean that even if I am miraculously admitted, I will not be funded in any case? :ph34r:

Edit: Never mind, I've just found that webpage where they mentioned that PhD applicants are automatically considered for fellowships when their applications are reviewed. Phew...!! I was quite panicked, lol... I guess the financial aid application is for Masters programs (?).

As far as I know, all admitted PhD students get a free ride plus a stipend. They are also admitted through Harvard GSAS (not HKS) which is significantly better endowed, I believe. Getting into that program is, however, significantly harder than MPP/MPA etc. as the legend goes.

Got it, thanks for your thoughts on this! Right, one of my recommenders told me (a few days before the application deadline, lol) that the HKS PhD program usually admits its own (MPP) students... Well, I'll cross my fingers and wait for the admission results then...!