HKS 2018

Stacy_85

I don't know if this will make waiting better or worse for everyone, but in the interest of sharing information (as we all go through this crazy process!) I received an interview request for a CPL fellowship on Monday (Bacon fellowship--others could be on different timelines?) 

My interview is this Friday, March 2. I agree with @jello1237, I remember hearing that they are releasing decisions at the same time as financial info this year, which was not the case in the past. The CPL email I got didn't mention admission, so that is unclear to me. Anyone else in a similar boat? 

40 minutes ago, tropisk_winter said:

I don't know if this will make waiting better or worse for everyone, but in the interest of sharing information (as we all go through this crazy process!) I received an interview request for a CPL fellowship on Monday (Bacon fellowship--others could be on different timelines?) 

My interview is this Friday, March 2. I agree with @jello1237, I remember hearing that they are releasing decisions at the same time as financial info this year, which was not the case in the past. The CPL email I got didn't mention admission, so that is unclear to me. Anyone else in a similar boat? 

Good luck! Maybe you can sneak in a question about when decisions are released during the interview.

2 hours ago, tropisk_winter said:

Oh, good luck with your interview!

Any one got updates on Gleitsman Fellowship under CPL?

12 hours ago, tropisk_winter said:

All the best! 

I am also very curious to find out whether I will spend almost two years in New England or not but just to bolster my crazy ass theory: I do not think that we will receive results next week, yet hope to be wrong.

The hints:

1. For the last few years, they have always released decisions on the second Wednesday of March. That would be March 14 this year.

2. It is not uncommon for HKS to release that late. In fact, they have released as late as March 18 within the last six years (see the admission blog's archive).

3. There is a specific sequence of posts on the blog before they release results. It begins with an introduction to the three categories (not admitted, waitlisted, admitted) and takes at least three posts, i.e. days. As of March 1st, they still have to begin this countdown of blog postings, which starts at least four days prior to decisions day (D-Day) and began last year (results released on March 8) on February 27.

4. They are not that fast. Last year, it took them 96 days to read, assess and decide from the applications deadline to D-Day. That would mean a release on March 11 (today is the 86th day since closing of applications), ceteris paribus.

So, I feel and share your pain and anxiety but we shouldn't get too excited for a release next week when D-Day could very well be two weeks away.

Edited by CFGauß

10 minutes ago, CFGauß said:

I am also very curious to find out whether I will spend almost two years in New England or not but just to bolster my crazy ass theory: I do not think that we will receive results next week, yet hope to be wrong.

The hints:

1. For the last few years, they have always released decisions on the second Wednesday of March. That would be March 14 this year.

2. It is not uncommon for HKS to release that late. In fact, they have released as late as March 18 within the last six years (see the admission blog's archive).

3. There is a specific sequence of posts on the blog before they release results. It begins with an introduction to the three categories (not admitted, waitlisted, admitted) and takes at least three posts, i.e. days. They still have to begin this countdown of blog postings, which starts at least four days prior to decisions day (D-Day) and began last year (results released on March 8) on February 27.

So, I feel and share your pain and anxiety but we shouldn't get too excited for a release next week when D-Day could very well be two weeks away.

Here's my more simple heuristic for being worried: their deadline for admitted students to submit deposits is April 20. That strikes me as late, although I have not looked at past deadlines. 

I agree with people saying that admissions day may be as late as March 14th for all the previously mentioned reasons. Moreover, today's blog is similar to last year's February 26th blog (10 days before admissions). If we add 10 days to March 2nd, we get March 12th. This would also fit the 1 week delay of Admit Day and Deposit Day.

Either way I believe March 7th would be the earliest and March 14th the latest (since it is the second Wednesday of March).

Edited by mppmd2018

3 hours ago, Prester John said:

Matt seems to be following this forum and he seems to have taken the ‘copy-pasting blog entries from previous years’ view seriously!

Indeed, he just reposted his blog entry from March 7, 2014 and used the wrong year in the title (again). This means a) we are still over a week from results away and b) Matt is either extremely stressed right now (it was either a planned posting or he stayed up very late) and/or is less motivated to post than he was in previous years. In any case: I feel your pain Matt! You are doing great work and all of us are really thankful for it. I propose sending him a card or flowers, anyone else up for it?

12 minutes ago, CFGauß said:

Indeed, he just reposted his blog entry from March 7, 2014 and used the wrong year in the title (again). This means a) we are still over a week from results away and b) Matt is either extremely stressed right now (it was either a planned posting or he stayed up very late) and/or is less motivated to post than he was in previous years. In any case: I feel your pain Matt! You are doing great work and all of us are really thankful for it. I propose sending him a card or flowers, anyone else up for it?

That’s so true. No other university is close to HkS in terms of openness about the process. The last entry in Princeton blog about admissions was on Dec 14th and that too a very generic one!

3 hours ago, poefan said:

Did HKS assigned any mentors from its current batch of students to guide applicants?

I have had back and forth email communication with a current student assigned by HKS. He answered a few questions and was very motivating. 

Update: I had my CPL interview today. They did not give me any indication about the timeline of decisions or whether or not I'd actually been admitted to HKS. The interview was limited to 20 minutes so there wasn't time for me to ask for hints on their timeline. Sorry, @lackey ! I wish I could help ease everyone's anxiety. Good luck to you all! :) 

21 minutes ago, tropisk_winter said:

Update: I had my CPL interview today. They did not give me any indication about the timeline of decisions or whether or not I'd actually been admitted to HKS. The interview was limited to 20 minutes so there wasn't time for me to ask for hints on their timeline. Sorry, @lackey ! I wish I could help ease everyone's anxiety. Good luck to you all! :) 

Hey! Was it for Gleitsman Fellowship, or another under CPL? Do all CPL fellowships have interviews around the same time? Thankyou so much for your update!

21 minutes ago, brown queer said:

Hey! Was it for Gleitsman Fellowship, or another under CPL? Do all CPL fellowships have interviews around the same time? Thankyou so much for your update!

Earlier in the thread they said that it was for the Bacon Fellowship. AFAIK no one has said anything else about other CPL fellowships either way.

Hi @brown queer, it wasn't for the Gleitsman Fellowship. Unfortunately, I'm not sure about the timing of other fellowships, but I wouldn't be surprised if each one was on a different timeline. The selection committee was very specific to the topic area (environmental policy), so it's possible each unique selection committee is operating at their own pace. Good luck to you!