Fall 2018 Admission

PhD_hopeful_

35 minutes ago, 94AVL said:

Just had a phone conversation with my POI at one of my top choices. She said my application was viewed favorably by 3 of the committee members and she is really going to fight for me. I thought it was a great sign but then she ended the convo by saying that those with higher GREs often get accepted first and I might not get a first round acceptance. So I really don't know how to take it. 

Wow. As someone w/uncompetitive GRE scores, I just want to let you know that I’m rooting for you! I hope you get in! 

4 hours ago, 94AVL said:

Just had a phone conversation with my POI at one of my top choices. She said my application was viewed favorably by 3 of the committee members and she is really going to fight for me. I thought it was a great sign but then she ended the convo by saying that those with higher GREs often get accepted first and I might not get a first round acceptance. So I really don't know how to take it. 

WOW!! Hope you get in!

I just found on the result page that someone has got the admission to M.S. in biostat from Emory. I applied to Emory's PhD program. I'm getting really nervous now. I cannot work anymore I think.

3 hours ago, realllllJulia said:

WOW!! Hope you get in!

I just found on the result page that someone has got the admission to M.S. in biostat from Emory. I applied to Emory's PhD program. I'm getting really nervous now. I cannot work anymore I think.

M.S. got results much earlier that PhD so chill :)

UMichigan is calling with acceptances, I jump whenever some phone rings LOL. One of my top choices, but I guess another rejection :/

On 12/20/2017 at 8:55 PM, eighty8keys said:

Anyone else underrepresented in their field? I feel like it makes the application process even more confusing. Like, I know it *might" mean something,  but I have no idea how much it does. I think I have a decently strong dossier without that being considered. However, it'd be nice to have some clarity as to where I actually stand. And from what I've heard about academia and being underrepresented, there gets to be a point as you go higher up where the cons start to outweigh any possible benefits (i.e. discrimination in academia, yay!). Hoping this isn't that point... Actually, hoping I just never experience that, but I'm sure it's coming...

I am a woman in Computer Science. Felt quite uncomfortable writing diversity statements for some universities. Anyway, I was researching it, and the admittance for the school that had this data was 11% for male students and 15% for female, or something like that.

I have a question but don’t really know where to drop it so I’ll leave it here and hope someone w/experience sees it: 

I got waitlisted(long listed, pre-interview meaning I wasn’t offered an interview) on the 15th by my top choice and I immediately emailed the program coordinator back stating ‘I was still interested and happy to be still in the running blah blah’. Didn’t get a reply back, not that I was necessarily expecting one. But the more I peruse this forum I realized that maybe I supposed to email my POI and not the department??? Is that true and I should’ve emailed my POI or am I fine and the department will just check off something next to my name, like “Yeap! Still likes us!”?

On 12/25/2017 at 3:27 AM, Arkhy said:

I am a woman in Computer Science. Felt quite uncomfortable writing diversity statements for some universities. Anyway, I was researching it, and the admittance for the school that had this data was 11% for male students and 15% for female, or something like that.

I think I would feel uncomfortable if I tried to bring up those type of things on my own, but, for me, if someone asks me, I guess I just say what I can say and let that be that. 

Also, yay! Another prospective CS PhD! Where are you applying? 

5 hours ago, eighty8keys said:

Hey, I'm another CS PhD applicant. Applying only to MIT, what about you?

Anyone else read Inside Graduate Admissions by Julie Posselt?   For those of you that haven't heard of it, Dr. Posselt sat in on PhD admission committee meetings at "elite" institutions for various fields.  The names and universities have been changed, but it was interesting to read.  It did freak me out a bit since the prestige of the undergraduate institution played a bigger factor than I expected.   I wasn't even thinking of getting a PhD when I choose my undergraduate institution.   My undergraduate institution is Tier 1, but they just got upgraded a few years ago and it's a second-tier state school.   I am applying to a field (statistics) where there are hundreds of applications for a handful of spots.  I worry that my undergraduate institution is going to hurt me.  I have a couple of weeks at least before I hear anything and the waiting is awful.

13 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

Applying to USC, Georgia Tech, CMU, Stanford, and Cornell. Curious, what made you decide to apply only to MIT?

I'm doing a one year master's in the UK, didn't have time to do the GRE and MIT is the only one that doesn't require it. Also my dream group is there. In the very likely case I don't get in, I'll try again next year with more schools and the GRE. I have secured a job in that case anyway.

I have research experience , very strong LORs and maximum GPA for undergrad. I still have (very little) hope!

Have you heard anything from any of the universities you applied to? I know an ex PhD student from Cornell and that would have been my second choice!

2 minutes ago, minuto said:

I'm doing a one year master's in the UK, didn't have time to do the GRE and MIT is the only one that doesn't require it. Also my dream group is there. In the very likely case I don't get in, I'll try again next year with more schools and the GRE. I have secured a job in that case anyway.

I have research experience , very strong LORs and maximum GPA for undergrad. I still have (very little) hope!

Have you heard anything from any of the universities you applied to? I know an ex PhD student from Cornell and that would have been my second choice!

Oh, yeah. I was thinking about applying to MIT, but it was last minute and felt unfair to ask my recommenders so late. Also, I was on the edge because I would have applied to the Media Lab, but I've heard mixed reviews about working there. Apparently, it's a very different experience than most PhDs.

I haven't heard back yet, though based on previous year's results, the earliest I'd likely hear back is mid-January. Waiting is not fun, but praying for the best.

On 10/26/2017 at 10:18 AM, forensic_chemist said:

Hi I just wanted to start a conversation with everyine applying for the Fall 2018 admission .  How are things going?  What program are you applying to?  Tell me :-)

Haven't heard from any of the programs to which I applied. But I am fine with it. Have been busy working on my graduate thesis, hope to get it done by the notifications of rejection... :(

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, Dan_Xu said:

Haven't heard from any of the programs to which I applied.

Same with me...and then I found out someone else applying to the same exact program as I am with the same school got an interview there plus 2 more at other schools. Someone else I know has 2 interviews already set. It's really discouraging since I have not heard anything from any schools.

So two things happened. I've happened to work at one of the universities that I applied to. Yesterday morning, I received a call from that area code and freaked out thinking it might be them. Turned out that it was just a call from a hospital that I'd visited reminding me to schedule a follow-up :(

But also, one of my schools asked me to submit a video, and I submitted it as a YouTube video. What I didn't even think about when I was submitting it was that I would be able to look at the number of views. My video just had a view yesterday... It appears whoever watched it didn't watch the whole thing, so I dunno what that means.

Hey eighty8keys,

I'm going for a CS PhD as well. Best of luck! Just wondering which program wanted you to submit a video, and what the video was supposed to demonstrate. I guess I'm surprised/anxious that you've already heard back from a school, congrats! I hope the view you received is a good sign (whether or not it was watched to the end).

I actually applied to 15 universities because I've been in the industry for over a decade and I'm concerned I may be out of touch with what schools are looking for (though I am certain I have strong LORs). I made sure all the schools had professors conducting research I am actually interested in, so I'd be happy getting into any of the programs.

7 minutes ago, spamhaus said:

Hey eighty8keys,

I'm going for a CS PhD as well. Best of luck! Just wondering which program wanted you to submit a video, and what the video was supposed to demonstrate. I guess I'm surprised/anxious that you've already heard back from a school, congrats! I hope the view you received is a good sign (whether or not it was watched to the end).

I actually applied to 15 universities because I've been in the industry for over a decade and I'm concerned I may be out of touch with what schools are looking for (though I am certain I have strong LORs). I made sure all the schools had professors conducting research I am actually interested in, so I'd be happy getting into any of the programs.

Well, I haven't really heard anything. All I know is that they looked at my video.

On 12/20/2017 at 11:55 AM, eighty8keys said:

Anyone else underrepresented in their field? I feel like it makes the application process even more confusing. Like, I know it *might" mean something,  but I have no idea how much it does. I think I have a decently strong dossier without that being considered. However, it'd be nice to have some clarity as to where I actually stand. And from what I've heard about academia and being underrepresented, there gets to be a point as you go higher up where the cons start to outweigh any possible benefits (i.e. discrimination in academia, yay!). Hoping this isn't that point... Actually, hoping I just never experience that, but I'm sure it's coming...

I'm a black woman in Computer Science. I've never heard anything about the cons starting to outweigh any possible benefits, but that is possible. Just hoping for the best!

7 minutes ago, collegesista said:

I'm a black woman in Computer Science. I've never heard anything about the cons starting to outweigh any possible benefits, but that is possible. Just hoping for the best!

I've just heard that academia increases in discriminatory the higher up you go up. It's hard because I know discrimination exists, but I want to hope for the best out of the system.  And at this point, I'd like to just worry about getting in, haha.

Also, where are you applying?

7 hours ago, eighty8keys said:

I've just heard that academia increases in discriminatory the higher up you go up. It's hard because I know discrimination exists, but I want to hope for the best out of the system.

I know this is anecdotal, but my wife is currently completing her PhD and headed the diversity committee for her department. She has definitely encountered discrimination in that role, pretty much under the guise that it's best not to rock the boat. I hate how stereotypical this will sound, but that sentiment was strongest from the older white professors in the department. Luckily there are a number of women and younger professors helping push for diversity.

1 hour ago, spamhaus said:

I know this is anecdotal, but my wife is currently completing her PhD and headed the diversity committee for her department. She has definitely encountered discrimination in that role, pretty much under the guise that it's best not to rock the boat. I hate how stereotypical this will sound, but that sentiment was strongest from the older white professors in the department. Luckily there are a number of women and younger professors helping push for diversity.

That is so not  surprising, especially in the view of the recent scandal with statistics professor at NIPS. But the white old professors who are adequate in that respect still do exist.

On 12/27/2017 at 7:44 AM, eighty8keys said:

I think I would feel uncomfortable if I tried to bring up those type of things on my own, but, for me, if someone asks me, I guess I just say what I can say and let that be that. 

I'm applying to like 30 places because that's how paranoid I am. 

On 12/29/2017 at 7:48 AM, Arkhy said:

That is so not  surprising, especially in the view of the recent scandal with statistics professor at NIPS. But the white old professors who are adequate in that respect still do exist.

Sorry, I missed this scandal. What happened?

BTW, just noticed you are from Санкт Петербург. My wife was born there.

2 hours ago, spamhaus said:

Sorry, I missed this scandal. What happened?

BTW, just noticed you are from Санкт Петербург. My wife was born there.

https://medium.com/@kristianlum/statistics-we-have-a-problem-304638dc5de5

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-16/google-researcher-accused-of-sexual-harassment-roiling-ai-field

Steven Scott, an AI researcher from Google was accused of sexual harassment by multiple women and is currently suspended.

Cool, is she in CS too?

Edited by Arkhy

1 hour ago, Arkhy said:

Steven Scott, an AI researcher from Google was accused of sexual harassment by multiple women and is currently suspended.

Dang... 

On 12/29/2017 at 6:48 AM, Arkhy said:

I'm applying to like 30 places because that's how paranoid I am. 

Also, dang. I don't know if I could even find 30 places that match my research interests, and even if I could, applying to 5 schools stressed me out enough. I can't imagine having to deal with that many applications. But I find it highly unlikely that you won't get in anywhere, which I suppose was the purpose!