Fall 2018 Admission

PhD_hopeful_

One of my top choices admitted someone before Christmas! And this lucky guy posted it today.

OMG :o  I'm getting really nervous now. It's much earlier than I expected. I thought it could be late Jan. to early Mar.

Need to do something to calm down.

Hoping to get into Baylor, looked through the History acceptance admissions from 2016-7 and they all have scheduled interviews by January 17. Everyday its getting a lot more nerve-wracking. Although I should probably be really in shape given all the pacing I've done around my apartment. 

So, in my application letter, I indicated that I wanted to work with a specific professor.  Went I went for a campus visit and met with two other professors, I found out about a grant-funded project another professor is working on that perfectly aligns with my research interests.  So I took a chance yesterday and emailed that professor saying that, although I am interested in the work of the professor I mentioned in my letter, I was particularly interested in his work and would love to partner with him on his research.  I was worried I was crossing some sort of line, or that he wouldn't respond, or that it would cast a negative light on my application.  This is the response I received:

"Thank you for your note!  I would certainly enjoy working with you on our shared interests, and I'll let the graduate committee know of the possibility of us working together pending their admissions processes and your final enrollment choices!"

I don't want to read too much into it, but I'm glad that I reached out and that he's letting the committee know.  Hoping it's a good sign, but trying to distract myself in the meantime.

I am freaking out because I think my low GRE scores (both verbal and quant), as expected, will keep me out of grad school. I see people getting interview invitations / interview dates being posted for universities that I applied to (Yale, Temple, University of Pennsylvania, University of Oregon, University of Wyoming). 

My Background: BA in Psychology + BA dissertation; Msc in Neuropsychology + Msc dissertation; 8 publications (2nd and 3rd co-authorships);  6 years of research; 4 years of clinical work; 5 poster presentations and abstract submissions.

Program and Term of interest: Clinical Psychology/fall 2018 

Applied to (in no particular order): Yale University, Harvard University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Michigan, University of Iowa, Temple university, Indiana University Bloomington, Duke University, University of Oregon, Boston university, The University of Vermont, University of Wisconsin-Madison, The university of Maine, University of Wyoming, George Mason University, Eastern Michigan University,  Washington State University, University of Missouri, Kansas City. 

Received interview invitation at: Eastern Michigan University 

Rejected by: University of Iowa

Accepted by: ...

I cannot wait to go to therapy this weekend to vent! I don't know if I can survive 18 rejections. This whole process was expensive and emotionally draining. 

22 hours ago, AGingeryGinger said:

Hoping to get into Baylor, looked through the History acceptance admissions from 2016-7 and they all have scheduled interviews by January 17. Everyday its getting a lot more nerve-wracking. Although I should probably be really in shape given all the pacing I've done around my apartment. 

I also applied to Baylor but for stats.  January 17 is still over a week away.  Plus people could have gotten interviews later than that but they didn’t respond to the survey.  Duke stats usually sends interview request the 2nd week of January so I get how hard the waiting is.  Maybe I should try to hibernate for the rest of break.

1 hour ago, Bayesian1701 said:

I also applied to Baylor but for stats.  January 17 is still over a week away.  Plus people could have gotten interviews later than that but they didn’t respond to the survey.  Duke stats usually sends interview request the 2nd week of January so I get how hard the waiting is.  Maybe I should try to hibernate for the rest of break.

Hmm I didn’t know if January 17 was a standard thing or not. Now I’m even more horrified.

On 1/6/2018 at 4:36 PM, realllllJulia said:

One of my top choices admitted someone before Christmas! And this lucky guy posted it today.

OMG :o  I'm getting really nervous now. It's much earlier than I expected. I thought it could be late Jan. to early Mar.

Need to do something to calm down.

What programs did you apply to? The slow trickle of admits on the results page is killing me

Edited by statbiostat2017

16 hours ago, statbiostat2017 said:

What programs did you apply to? The slow trickle of admits on the results page is killing me

I applied to UNC and Michigan (the same as you), as well as Berkeley, UCLA, UC San Diego, Emory, Case Western Reserve and OSU.

Now, the results page has an AD for UNC and OSU each. I'm dying for waiting.

Hello!!!!

I'm still in the process of applying to places and I've sent one application so far out of five schools that I am applying to. I'm currently freaking out a little because one university emailed me asking about my transcripts, which I sent last December. According to the tracker, they were received already but its status in the application is still not received so I'm very nervous. THat aside, I'm chugging along nicely and just working on my apps + working full time. I'm applying to a university in Europe and a couple in Australia as well so the timelines are a bit different. Heh. Excited to be here! 

Yeah... the wait is not fun. Only one of the program I applied to has anything in the results page (one acceptance and one interview), so I feel completely in the dark. I'm just so afraid I'm going to end up with all rejections. I mean, logically, I think it's unlikely, but sh*t happens.

Edited by eighty8keys

I just got my first acceptance!! I thought I had months more to wait out, but wow!! I'm walking on air. I'm stunned. I'm alternating between crying and screaming. It was my top choice too!

Of course, there's the details... A different professor than my top choice to work for was CC'd, and my status on the site is different... but I'm assuming the email supersedes all that. Right...? Right?

Hello! I've applied to 3 graduate programs. My pending applications are at San Diego State University for behavioral neuroscience and University of Nevada, Reno for public health. I was accepted to the third program; however, I'm not sure I'd like to pursue it anymore. I also applied to 4 post-baccalaureate programs in behavioral neuroscience. I probably won't hear anything until the middle of March, so I'm here to participate in forums to kill time. 

I just recently got an email from a POI who asked me if I had time for a phone interview tomorrow! Is that a thing they normally do before official interview invites? I never got an invite to an interview, just this phone interview. What does this mean?

On 1/4/2018 at 8:56 PM, gg.rose said:

Im biological chemistry! My undergrad major is medicinal chemistry, so its the most closely aligned

Yeah i couldn't take it because they only offer it once a year where I'm from and i couldn't afford to go over seas and sit it. Im sure if thats the only blip on the application you'll be fine! oh thank you that would be great! I hope you do too :)

So! 

I actually called Northwestern today, which, had good results (I hope) since the guy is going to try and get my professor involved but! I have news.

He told me that the Northwestern chem grad program should have all decisions made by next week.. I wish you well!

If you get in or hear any news, let me know, ok? And I'll try n keep you updated. If we both get in, I know the best pizza places in Evanston. XD

15 hours ago, bluebird8 said:

I just recently got an email from a POI who asked me if I had time for a phone interview tomorrow! Is that a thing they normally do before official interview invites? I never got an invite to an interview, just this phone interview. What does this mean?

Its common to an extent. The POI is probably trying to assess/clarify  fit before extending a formal offer to you.

It is comforting to see that I am not the only one checking e-mail and application status websites every 5 minutes. At least I haven't seen any offers for the institutions I applied to so I am trying to think they are a little bit late.

By the way, I am applying to Inorganic Chemistry PhD :)

Any international applicants from outside of North America and Europe here? How are you feeling about your chances? Sometimes I feel like I am good enough for the programs I chose but sometimes it just feels like my citizenship will ruin my chances (I am Brazilian).

1 hour ago, raul.carmo said:

Any international applicants from outside of North America and Europe here? How are you feeling about your chances? Sometimes I feel like I am good enough for the programs I chose but sometimes it just feels like my citizenship will ruin my chances (I am Brazilian).

SAME HERE. many i've spoken to say my profile looks pretty solid (gre,gpa, research exp etc). But i'm worried my international student status is ruining my chances. (apart from the possibility i messed up my SOP or that my recommenders are not well-known).

21 minutes ago, loffire said:

SAME HERE. many i've spoken to say my profile looks pretty solid (gre,gpa, research exp etc). But i'm worried my international student status is ruining my chances. (apart from the possibility i messed up my SOP or that my recommenders are not well-known).

It is not part of the academic culture in Brazil to rely on letters of reference for graduate schools so my professors are not used to writing this kind of document, I even had to e-mail them with examples I took from the internet so that they could use them as a guide. Even though I lived in the US for 2 years and I feel confident that both my english and chemistry skills are more than sufficient for graduate work, I still feel that my application is not even going to be taken seriously by the committee. 

44 minutes ago, raul.carmo said:

It is not part of the academic culture in Brazil to rely on letters of reference for graduate schools so my professors are not used to writing this kind of document, I even had to e-mail them with examples I took from the internet so that they could use them as a guide. Even though I lived in the US for 2 years and I feel confident that both my english and chemistry skills are more than sufficient for graduate work, I still feel that my application is not even going to be taken seriously by the committee. 

I mean, I'm not on an admissions committee, but I highly doubt your application will be taken less seriously because you're international. It will very likely be more competitive, though I believe it does vary according to what country you're applying from, how many people typically apply from there, how you compare to top students from your country, etc. I guess, in sum, being an international applicant can be more difficult in terms of admissions, but it's certainly not because schools aren't accepting international students or don't take them seriously. 

39 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

I mean, I'm not on an admissions committee, but I highly doubt your application will be taken less seriously because you're international. It will very likely be more competitive, though I believe it does vary according to what country you're applying from, how many people typically apply from there, how you compare to top students from your country, etc. I guess, in sum, being an international applicant can be more difficult in terms of admissions, but it's certainly not because schools aren't accepting international students or don't take them seriously. 

I get what you're saying, and I agree to some extent. However, it is only true when you are talking about international students from Europe/Australia/Japan (and some Chinese). Students coming from countries that are even underdeveloped or where english is not the first language are not as competitive as American/European students for many reasons. First there is the language barrier (which should not count if you took a proficiency exam and scored the acceptable grades), there is also the difficulty from the admissions committee to evaluate grading in less known institutions across the globe (my undergrad institution is the ranked #3 in Brazil and is ranked higher than many US institutions but most Americans, including professors, never heard of it). There is also the cost factor, since international students usually cost more than native ones (not sure if it applies to private schools but it is definitely true for state universities).

Unfortunately, from people outside the N.America/Europe/Australia range are usually in disadvantage... I am confident that I will get in though :D

Edited by raul.carmo

On 12/25/2017 at 4:27 AM, Arkhy said:

I am a woman in Computer Science. Felt quite uncomfortable writing diversity statements for some universities. Anyway, I was researching it, and the admittance for the school that had this data was 11% for male students and 15% for female, or something like that.

I'm a female physics/astro student who felt similarly. Cheers!