Fall 2018 Admission

PhD_hopeful_

14 hours ago, sbr5496 said:

Sweet! I also applied to UTHealth, LSU, Florida, and Georgia Tech (where I was accepted today!), as well as McGill, Victoria, Toledo, OHSU, Arizona, and Wisconsin (rejected yesterday rip)

hey! congrats !! I haven't heard from anywhere yet..... 

I'm kinda nervous because I have my first interview, and it's not with someone I mentioned in my application. I'm not sure whether I should assume that this means he's interested in working with me. I did look up his stuff and I could certainly see us working together, but I'm just not sure what I'm walking into for this interview.

3 hours ago, ranju said:

hey! congrats !! I haven't heard from anywhere yet..... 

Thanks!! Did you apply MS or PhD?

Edited by sbr5496

I'm so nervous! I don't think I got into Penn State and Johns Hopkins is going to take forever to respond, lol. I'm so happy for everyone who has received acceptances though!! Congrats!

23 hours ago, eighty8keys said:

I'm kinda nervous because I have my first interview, and it's not with someone I mentioned in my application. I'm not sure whether I should assume that this means he's interested in working with me. I did look up his stuff and I could certainly see us working together, but I'm just not sure what I'm walking into for this interview.

Something similar happened to me, but since I am an international student it was a skype interview with a professor out of my expertise area. This happened because it was a departmental interview, and the comittee was present there as well, and I was interviewd by four different people. They asked me about past experiences in research, etc

1 hour ago, I'mReallyScaredIWontGetIn said:

How does everyone handle the stress of waiting it out? 

So I recently caught the flu or a really miserable head cold because I think stressing has weaken my immune system. Thought this would at least be somewhat of a distraction from the unbearable waiting with all the mindless drug-induced sleep, but instead it has been giving me stress dreams on top of an achy everything. It needs to be March already.

On 1/26/2018 at 12:56 AM, semling said:

Hello All,

Was enjoying reading all your posts, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm applying to 3 PhD programs in Arabic (all called different things, though), and one in Linguistics. I have a masters in Arabic from Georgetown, where I focused on Arabic linguistics. I'm an older student and have a lot of work experience and such, which I'm hoping makes me "interesting" in a good way, and not "oh, well that's ... interesting." I have little kids and a spouse with their own career, which makes things a bit more complicated. I'm also giving up a steady, prestigious, fairly well-paying job to live in penury as a graduate student and then join the bloodbath that is the academic job market ... The things we do for love, right?   :wub:   العربية  :wub:

In my current job, I've had the opportunity to participate in admission committee discussions and interviews for a to-be-unnamed Ivy League university, and even though it was undergrad admissions, I feel like it's given me a lot more insight into how the sausage is made, so I'm probably a bit less freaked out by this whole process.

So far three of my applications are still inside the black hole they were sucked into as soon as I hit "submit", but I did have an interview with Yale a couple weeks ago. Which was a relief since I submitted the Yale application two weeks late (I was originally planning on applying to a different department that had a 12/31 deadline, then decided at the last minute to switch to Linguistics, which had a 12/15 deadline). But no one's reading applications over the holidays anyway, and luckily they were understanding about the situation. I feel like the interview went pretty well. (I had a single kicking-myself-afterwards, why-did-I-say-that moment, but I sent a follow-up email clarifying what I meant to say, so hopefully no harm no foul.) When I asked how many interviews they were doing, the prof told me that they were interviewing 12 candidates, with the plan to admit 7 and hopefully matriculate 3. Which I figure puts my odds at 58% — a heartening improvement from pre-interview single digits, I'm sure.

Aside from Yale (which is an awesome fit for me), one of the other programs is also a great fit, one is a good fit but for different reasons, and the fourth is probably a bit of a stretch. I don't think my other three schools do interviews (at least as far as I can tell from the results board from previous years), so I probably won't hear anything until the decisions are made. But in corresponding with one of the professors at the other "great fit" school before I applied, he confirmed that my interests give me a "strong standing as an applicant" and he looked forward to reviewing my application "with enthusiasm". So that sounds like a good sign, right?

Also, when I asked the Magic 8 Ball app on my phone if I'd get into Yale it said "Count on it!"  So I figure it's pretty much a done deal. :P

But the waiting is hard ... I have wasted way too much time trying to read the tea leaves on this site ... And I know I'm probably not going to hear back from Yale for another week or two (prof said mid-Feb at latest), and probably another month for the other three, so I don't know why I'm grinding on it now ...

Hi,what is your major or what do u apply in Yale?

So, I got an email from the dean of one of the schools that I applied to telling me it was urgent and that they forgot to ask for a copy of my transcript (apparently, they couldn't access the version I submitted). I know that this school is sending out decisions in the next few days, so I'm wondering whether this a good sign? Like I feel like they wouldn't urgently email me for my transcript if they were going to reject me? But who knows?

26 minutes ago, José Neto said:

@raul.carmo brazilian too. Feel the same about our international status and the brazilian situation. Good luck for us!

Don't lose hope José, I was afraid that it would be only rejections and my first answer was actually an acceptance with full tuition and stipend. Now I am waiting for other programs to contact me, but at least now I know that in August I'll be doing my PhD in the US... If you have a good CV and prove them that you're capable of dealing with grad school than I believe it can make up for your citizenship :)

Btw, to which programs are you applying?

16 minutes ago, raul.carmo said:

Don't lose hope José, I was afraid that it would be only rejections and my first answer was actually an acceptance with full tuition and stipend. Now I am waiting for other programs to contact me, but at least now I know that in August I'll be doing my PhD in the US... If you have a good CV and prove them that you're capable of dealing with grad school than I believe it can make up for your citizenship :)

Btw, to which programs are you applying?

Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm a CS PhD applicant and I'm applying to: George Mason University, University of Utah, UC Riverside, Carleton University, Simon Fraser University and IST Austria!

6 minutes ago, José Neto said:

Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm a CS PhD applicant and I'm applying to: George Mason University, University of Utah, UC Riverside, Carleton University, Simon Fraser University and IST Austria!

Good luck!!! Have you heard back from any program? U. of Utah decided to kick me out haha.