Fall 2018 Admission

PhD_hopeful_

11 hours ago, AnxiousNerd said:

One of the universities I applied to doesn't even have the application w/chance of funding deadline until March 1st. Which means they probably don't even start looking until then :( and many had today as the deadline :(:(:( I thought late deadlines were kind of cool until now 

Totally understand how you feel! I had one December deadline, but they probably won't release a decision until early-mid March. My other program has a deadline in mid-April, but they had a priority deadline for financial aid in December. All of my backup plans have March 1st deadlines. I don't think I'll hear anything until March or April... possibly later. :(

After months of incredibly anxious waiting, I opened my email this evening to find an on campus interview invitiation!!! I whooped excitedly, haha. I’m just so happy to know that I have some sort of chance. But now I’m nervous about what to expect for an on campus interview ?

1 hour ago, phyanth said:

After months of incredibly anxious waiting, I opened my email this evening to find an on campus interview invitiation!!! I whooped excitedly, haha. I’m just so happy to know that I have some sort of chance. But now I’m nervous about what to expect for an on campus interview ?

That's awesome! Congrats, and good luck!

4 hours ago, phyanth said:

Good luck!

8 hours ago, Vsgjf55795 said:

Econ PhD anyone? 

I applied to mostly math, but I also applied to a couple econ phd programs too! Which I realize is sort of strange, but I did undergrad in both haha.

For Econ, I did WUSTL, Texas A&M, and University of Houston :)

As a hard science person, all my deadlines were Dec 1st as well. That's probably why we hear back earlier. It's also rough because if you haven't heard by this point in time, your chances are almost null (especially when you see it graphed out as in that other thread).

On 1/29/2018 at 3:55 AM, AnxiousNerd said:

I used to love weekends.....now they're just days I KNOW I won't hear back. How am I actually glad it's Monday?

I heard back from Rochester at 7:00 on a Sunday morning, was a lovely surprise to wake up to. I submitted my app late November. You never know!

2 hours ago, singinglupines said:

As a hard science person, all my deadlines were Dec 1st as well. That's probably why we hear back earlier. It's also rough because if you haven't heard by this point in time, your chances are almost null (especially when you see it graphed out as in that other thread).

Yeah.. Chemistry here. The only one I've applied to that hasn't released any type of decision so far is Cornell. The other two I've concluded I was rejected from as I still haven't heard from em.

Im glad the deadlines were as earlier for me as they were, though it caused a lot of stress then. The waiting is hard.

Fiain: can you talk a bit more about yourself? I applied to Cambridge for brain sciences. They said since I am just graduating undergraduate, for me to receive funding, I should get masters or post-bach experience. What has been your impression?

3 minutes ago, dontor said:

Fiain: can you talk a bit more about yourself? I applied to Cambridge for brain sciences. They said since I am just graduating undergraduate, for me to receive funding, I should get masters or post-bach experience. What has been your impression?

My offer came from a Professor and not the school. He offered funding, and said he could probably get the international fees covered... but on a probably when I cant meet people beforehand.. 20k a year wasnt a gamble I was willing to take, so I turned them down, though I still wish it mighta worked out better.

I'm not sure how it would have worked on the school side. Since I'm from the US, that might have affected things too.

3 minutes ago, Fiain said:

My offer came from a Professor and not the school. He offered funding, and said he could probably get the international fees covered... but on a probably when I cant meet people beforehand.. 20k a year wasnt a gamble I was willing to take, so I turned them down, though I still wish it mighta worked out better.

I'm not sure how it would have worked on the school side. Since I'm from the US, that might have affected things too.

The professor was very nice and found sources of outside funding I could apply for. I think if I had applied and said no to needing funding, the outcome would have been different. 

Generally international PhD degrees aren't well liked in US except when they are from Cambridge or Oxford (well known universities like these)

2 hours ago, singinglupines said:

22 hours ago, Tamsibling said:

I'm seeing a lot acceptance/rejections for the "hard" sciences. I'm guessing these decisions come earlier because funding is more abundant for these programs? As opposed to mine (Communications) which has some, but I'm sure nowhere near what Chemistry or Biology has. Silly liberal arts!

I'm applying in biology (more ecology and evolution than more medically or molecular biology leaning programs though) and have yet to hear anything official so I don't think it's even uniform in the sciences! One of my deadlines was Dec. 1st so I am a bit worried I haven't heard back from that one yet but my others were Jan. 15th so that could explain the delay of info from those. I do have an unofficial acceptance at one of the schools with a deadline of Jan 15th because I have been invited for a recruitment weekend and have also been nominated for one of the competitive higher paying fellowships at that university (I only know this because my POI has been updating me with information whenever he has it, but I have yet to hear anything official from my department or grad. admissions).

Edited by FishNerd

What has gotten my hopes up several times when I open my gmail are the tabs at the top. I'll see something like "Admissions..." and then go to that tab and see "[Internet School of Total Legitimacy] has extended their admissions..." Talk about getting my hopes up and then dashing them!

2 hours ago, AnthroScout said:

What has gotten my hopes up several times when I open my gmail are the tabs at the top. I'll see something like "Admissions..." and then go to that tab and see "[Internet School of Total Legitimacy] has extended their admissions..." Talk about getting my hopes up and then dashing them!

YES! How much of a tease is that?!! No, School, I don't want to do your online Fine Arts Communications extravaganza degree! I probably get 2 of those a day at this point...

To those who are contacted by POI or receive informal acceptances by POI, were you in contact with them before applying or do POI sometimes just contact students who mention them in their application?

Just got open house invitation from the only Safe school i applied, still waiting to hear from my top choice (got waitlisted). So what does open house really mean? Never attend one, is it interview ? what are the odds to get accepted if invited to open house? 

50 minutes ago, dontor said:

To those who are contacted by POI or receive informal acceptances by POI, were you in contact with them before applying or do POI sometimes just contact students who mention them in their application?

I was in contact with all of my POIs before applying because in the type of programs I'm trying to get into (Biological sciences - ecology, organismic and evolutionary biology) you have to secure an advisor who can and wants to take you on in their lab. In my case I chatted with all my POIs over Skype before applying (and usually in these chats they encouraged me to apply and mention them as my prospective advisor in my SOP).

1 hour ago, georginazhou said:

what does open house really mean? Never attend one, is it interview ? what are the odds to get accepted if invited to open house? 

Congrats!!

It may be a visit day (or possibly a weekend) with a series of interviews and other sessions help you get an idea about the program, the university, and the city. Since the program names it as "open house", the interviews MAY be relatively easier and most of the shortlist will get accepted in the end. It offers you a chance to chat with current students and faculty members (either those you are interested in or on adcom). If it's the case, they will try their best to show their strength.

21 minutes ago, realllllJulia said:

Congrats!!

It may be a visit day (or possibly a weekend) with a series of interviews and other sessions help you get an idea about the program, the university, and the city. Since the program names it as "open house", the interviews MAY be relatively easier and most of the shortlist will get accepted in the end. It offers you a chance to chat with current students and faculty members (either those you are interested in or on adcom). If it's the case, they will try their best to show their strength.

ohh, ok. I submitted my app for this program in late Nov, but yesterday was their stated deadline for application. And just half day past deadline I got this invitation, and the email states they are inviting the strongest applicant.  Half day and they reviewed all applications? Is it odd?