Fall 2018 Admission

PhD_hopeful_

4 hours ago, dontor said:

To those who are contacted by POI or receive informal acceptances by POI, were you in contact with them before applying or do POI sometimes just contact students who mention them in their application?

Based on @FishNerd‘a post, this might vary somewhat by discipline. I’ve only heard back from one program so far (I applied for History PhDs), but I received an email from my POI despite having never been in contact with them. 

4 hours ago, georginazhou said:

ohh, ok. I submitted my app for this program in late Nov, but yesterday was their stated deadline for application. And just half day past deadline I got this invitation, and the email states they are inviting the strongest applicant.  Half day and they reviewed all applications? Is it odd?

Maybe they started to review the apps before the ddl. It's possible that they want to do it in a prompt way. So they review those submitted earlier in advance.

2 hours ago, realllllJulia said:

Maybe they started to review the apps before the ddl. It's possible that they want to do it in a prompt way. So they review those submitted earlier in advance.

Ohhhh, thats probly the case then. Thx for explaining. 

Random question. I had an interview with a school, but it wasn't with a POI. The person who interviewed me said it was just for the admissions committee to get more information about me. He asked me about a research project I'd worked on and what I would hope to work on at that school. I guess, from what I've seen, interviews are typically with a person that you'd work with and that gives the interview a lot more context. What does it typically mean if you have an interview that's not focused on a POI?

Hello everone!

I have a quick question. I recently exchanged e-mails with the director of the graduate program I am the most interested in.

In the closing paragraph of the e-mail the director said : "All of your materials have been submitted and reviewed.  I can go ahead and recommend you." 

Does this mean that I have been accepted into the program? What exactly does "recommend you" mean? :) Anyone?

I'm anxious and I'm sure most of you are as well. Good luck to us all as we begin to receive responses! 

@nesasp it sounds like the director/department has recommended you for admission to the graduate school, who will then verify your application to determine you meet university standards. Generally, departments don't get acceptances until after the graduate school has approved your acceptance.

But it can also mean recommended to the committee for approval. Either way it's sounds very informal and not normal procedures. Did it say "congrats" anywhere?

Edited by whitmanifesto

Thank you @whitmanifesto! It was a very informal e-mail exchange, however it seems like a very positive response. Since I am an international student I was unaware of what the term "recommend you" meant with in this context. :)

My interview went extremely well the week before we exchanged this e-mail. 

Now, I just have to wait and see. As we all do. Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Why would a member of the graduate committee contact you to let you know they are reviewing your application and talk about their research and state they are open to questions regardless if you choose their lab or not? Would this mean my application is favorable or am I reading too much into this?

1 hour ago, PhD_hopeful_ said:

Why would a member of the graduate committee contact you to let you know they are reviewing your application and talk about their research and state they are open to questions regardless if you choose their lab or not? Would this mean my application is favorable or am I reading too much into this?

I had the same thing happen to me too. They reached out to tell me they were interested in my research experience, but that they had not made the decision to accept me yet. I don't know if it means anything, but i have been invited to interview at that school

1 hour ago, FishNerd said:

@PhD_hopeful_ and @samman1994 I'm not completely sure what your experiences mean but they definitely don't sound like a bad thing! It sounds like in both your cases that you are seriously being considered for acceptance but just haven't formally been accepted yet. 

8 hours ago, samman1994 said:

I had the same thing happen to me too. They reached out to tell me they were interested in my research experience, but that they had not made the decision to accept me yet. I don't know if it means anything, but i have been invited to interview at that school

Thanks for your feedback. Fingers crossed!

Anyone else apply to University of Missouri at Columbia for any program?  I got an email saying apartment applications were open but I don't know if it means anything or they sent them out to accepted students (who may not have been notified).  Things like this have happened before so I wanted to check.  

13 minutes ago, nickel28 said:

My University of Maryland (chemistry, inorganic) app status changed from “under departmental review” to “under graduate school review”... is this a good sign or bad sign? I submitted my app back in late November. 

Yes that means the department recommended you for approval. Now the school makes the decision.

What does everyone do to avoid checking results search constantly? Work is a little slow this week, and I'm expecting 3 of my programs to start sending updates out based on historical dates... This is my second time applying to some of them and I'll be super upset if I don't get in again :'(

13 minutes ago, deshypothequiez said:

What does everyone do to avoid checking results search constantly? Work is a little slow this week, and I'm expecting 3 of my programs to start sending updates out based on historical dates... This is my second time applying to some of them and I'll be super upset if I don't get in again :'(

I wish I had tips for you, but I've been checking the results 100 times a day too. :unsure: I don't think anything besides hearing back will help ease my inability to think about anything else!

1 hour ago, nickel28 said:

My University of Maryland (chemistry, inorganic) app status changed from “under departmental review” to “under graduate school review”... is this a good sign or bad sign? I submitted my app back in late November. 

It means the department recommended you for admission. Congrats!

A little down. I just heard back from a school for the first time. I didn't get into the PhD program, but they offered me a masters. They said that most students secure partial or complete funding, but it's not guaranteed. That's gonna stress me out if I end up going there. Also, if I want to do my PhD anywhere else, that's going to turn a probable 6 year process into likely 8. And I'd have to go through this whole process again. It's hard because I feel like I should be thankful that I got something (and I am), but it's not the thing that I was hoping for.

Edited by eighty8keys

I'm now unofficially accepted into my top two places which is super exciting!

Unfortunately my excitement is tempered with nerves because I applied to all my schools with my partner and he has yet to hear anything. I really think this is because in my field I have to secure a potential advisor before applying and they are the one's who have sent me updates on my application status. I haven't received my official acceptances yet, so it does track that my partner hasn't heard back because his field doesn't really have to secure a potential advisor first and because of this he doesn't have anyone who can let him know unofficially that he's in. I really hope that's the case at least.

On 2/4/2018 at 10:53 AM, nesasp said:

Hello everone!

I have a quick question. I recently exchanged e-mails with the director of the graduate program I am the most interested in.

In the closing paragraph of the e-mail the director said : "All of your materials have been submitted and reviewed.  I can go ahead and recommend you." 

Does this mean that I have been accepted into the program? What exactly does "recommend you" mean? :) Anyone?

I'm anxious and I'm sure most of you are as well. Good luck to us all as we begin to receive responses! 

It sounds like this professor is on the graduate committee and will be advocating for you during the committee’s deliberations. Good luck!