Fall 2018 Admission

PhD_hopeful_

23 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

Sadness. One of the professors I was interested in working with just told me he won't have enough funding to take on a new student next year. Fortunately, there are other professors I would like to work with at that school, but he was my number one. :(

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it works out with the other professors you're interested in!

25 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

Sadness. One of the professors I was interested in working with just told me he won't have enough funding to take on a new student next year. Fortunately, there are other professors I would like to work with at that school, but he was my number one. :(

Aww :( Is there a chance you would get to collaborate with him if you got accepted under another POI's funding?

27 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

Could you apply for outside or internal funding?

45 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

I just got my first acceptance and it is one of my favorites.   Now I can finally sleep at night and not stress over waiting because I have a funded offer at a program I like and what more can you ask for?

That’s great news! Congrats!

5 hours ago, spamhaus said:

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it works out with the other professors you're interested in!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, pataka said:

Aww :( Is there a chance you would get to collaborate with him if you got accepted under another POI's funding?

Maybe, I do know that the other professors work in the same group as him!

5 hours ago, siliconchins said:

Could you apply for outside or internal funding?

I haven't really looked at much. But I don't know if I'd hear back in time.

Kinda sucks, especially because I know that this professor was interested in me. But it wasn't my favorite school, so I hope that means I'm destined for elsewhere??? Hahaha

I just got my first interview request! I think now I am no longer worried about my prospects. I just had no clue if my application would be given much weight since my field is so oversaturated. A huge weight has been lifted. I really hope everyone gets that same feeling, because it definitely made me feel dramatically better. Good luck all!

I submitted one of my applications on January 7th (one day before the deadline), and my application status still reads 'Submitted'. The other schools that I applied to have both updated the status to "under review."  I looked at previous years admissions results and most people were at least invited for an interview by this time in the process.

Is this a bad sign or am I letting anxiety get the best of me?

3 minutes ago, dysn4972 said:

I submitted one of my applications on January 7th (one day before the deadline), and my application status still reads 'Submitted'. The other schools that I applied to have both updated the status to "under review."  I looked at previous years admissions results and most people were at least invited for an interview by this time in the process.

Is this a bad sign or am I letting anxiety get the best of me?

When I applied to Indiana University and Purdue main campus, those statuses never changed on the application until April, even tho I found out via email I was waitlisted at both and then reject by both in April.

Now, I've applied to Northwestern and even tho I know they've started their process, their system doeant have 'penidng' as an option. Wayne State started 'pending' 5 days before the due date and UIC is just "submitted". Neither rare close to their decisions yet. 

Each department is different in how they update the apps, and each uni has a slightly different system. I wouldn't worry until you start seeing people submit their results on here.

On 20.01.2018 at 4:27 AM, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Any humanities applicants have heard anything yet?

Nothing here either, still waiting. I saw on the results page that Princeton has offered someone an interview and Berkeley accepted someone (in Slavic) but otherwise just silence. While my rational mind knows there still times, I feel like the walls are beginning to close in

Question! On the results page, I keep seeing people that were "accepted via phone."  When that's the case, are the departments really calling each person to notify them of acceptance? I will be overseas for the next two months and am 1. seven hours ahead and 2. unable to accept calls from America. What if I don't answer? Or are these people calling the departments themselves to find out? Phone seems so unreliable.

3 hours ago, AnxiousNerd said:

Question! On the results page, I keep seeing people that were "accepted via phone."  When that's the case, are the departments really calling each person to notify them of acceptance? I will be overseas for the next two months and am 1. seven hours ahead and 2. unable to accept calls from America. What if I don't answer? Or are these people calling the departments themselves to find out? Phone seems so unreliable.

Yes, departments (or faculty) are calling people. It's okay if you don't answer your phone; plenty of people don't. They won't revoke your acceptance for not answering a phone call :lol: they will most likely leave a message and send you an email.

5 hours ago, wheresmysnow said:

Nothing here either, still waiting. I saw on the results page that Princeton has offered someone an interview and Berkeley accepted someone (in Slavic) but otherwise just silence. While my rational mind knows there still times, I feel like the walls are beginning to close in

I was starting to feel like that last week (got a couple emails this week though). Very few schools are sending out stuff yet, I think mid-February is the peak for notifications.

Are you in Slavic Languages? You should come to the French thread! :)All languages majors are hanging out here and talking about the wait together: 

On 1/22/2018 at 9:58 PM, eighty8keys said:

IEEE Face and Gesture! I'm super excited. This was my first submission, and the reviews I got were really mixed. I think I wrote a pretty good rebuttal, but I honestly thought I wasn't going to get accepted. Very glad that it was a happy ending! My biggest worry was that if I got any interviews, they would ask about my paper, and I would have to tell them that it was rejected. I haven't heard from any schools (though none of them have shown much activity in the results page), but I'm glad I won't have to deal with that.

@eighty8keys 

Be sure to send a short note to all the programs that you applied to, letting them know that you just had this paper published (if you haven't already). Could make the difference!

Hello All,

Was enjoying reading all your posts, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm applying to 3 PhD programs in Arabic (all called different things, though), and one in Linguistics. I have a masters in Arabic from Georgetown, where I focused on Arabic linguistics. I'm an older student and have a lot of work experience and such, which I'm hoping makes me "interesting" in a good way, and not "oh, well that's ... interesting." I have little kids and a spouse with their own career, which makes things a bit more complicated. I'm also giving up a steady, prestigious, fairly well-paying job to live in penury as a graduate student and then join the bloodbath that is the academic job market ... The things we do for love, right?   :wub:   العربية  :wub:

In my current job, I've had the opportunity to participate in admission committee discussions and interviews for a to-be-unnamed Ivy League university, and even though it was undergrad admissions, I feel like it's given me a lot more insight into how the sausage is made, so I'm probably a bit less freaked out by this whole process.

So far three of my applications are still inside the black hole they were sucked into as soon as I hit "submit", but I did have an interview with Yale a couple weeks ago. Which was a relief since I submitted the Yale application two weeks late (I was originally planning on applying to a different department that had a 12/31 deadline, then decided at the last minute to switch to Linguistics, which had a 12/15 deadline). But no one's reading applications over the holidays anyway, and luckily they were understanding about the situation. I feel like the interview went pretty well. (I had a single kicking-myself-afterwards, why-did-I-say-that moment, but I sent a follow-up email clarifying what I meant to say, so hopefully no harm no foul.) When I asked how many interviews they were doing, the prof told me that they were interviewing 12 candidates, with the plan to admit 7 and hopefully matriculate 3. Which I figure puts my odds at 58% — a heartening improvement from pre-interview single digits, I'm sure.

Aside from Yale (which is an awesome fit for me), one of the other programs is also a great fit, one is a good fit but for different reasons, and the fourth is probably a bit of a stretch. I don't think my other three schools do interviews (at least as far as I can tell from the results board from previous years), so I probably won't hear anything until the decisions are made. But in corresponding with one of the professors at the other "great fit" school before I applied, he confirmed that my interests give me a "strong standing as an applicant" and he looked forward to reviewing my application "with enthusiasm". So that sounds like a good sign, right?

Also, when I asked the Magic 8 Ball app on my phone if I'd get into Yale it said "Count on it!"  So I figure it's pretty much a done deal. :P

But the waiting is hard ... I have wasted way too much time trying to read the tea leaves on this site ... And I know I'm probably not going to hear back from Yale for another week or two (prof said mid-Feb at latest), and probably another month for the other three, so I don't know why I'm grinding on it now ...

Edited by semling

8 hours ago, semling said:

@eighty8keys 

Be sure to send a short note to all the programs that you applied to, letting them know that you just had this paper published (if you haven't already). Could make the difference!

Yeah, I attempted, haha

Also, sigh.... OF RELIEF. I just got my first interview, and it just turned what has felt like an eternity of silence into happiness that could only be overshadowed by getting accepted. It was kind of funny because I had seen some results go out on the results page and had started to convert my mind to expect rejection. Even funnier, I had gone out and gotten myself something nice to eat just because (not even as a response to hearing about interviews) and when I was at the red light to enter my school, I checked my emails and SCREAMED. I just kept screaming, haha. Definitely treating myself tonight.

Edited by eighty8keys

1 hour ago, eighty8keys said:

I just got my first interview, and it just turned what has felt like an eternity of silence into happiness that could only be overshadowed by getting accepted. 

Congrats. We need more women in CS (and especially WOC), so I'm rootin' for you!

I received my first two interview offers! I am excited and looking forward to hearing from my other 9 schools I submitted applications. This process teaches you patience for sure.

I decided to have a crazier dream than a PhD in history to make myself feel better if I don't get in and have something to work towards if I don't get in. First female GM in Major League Baseball. I mean, that does make a PhD seem a lot more attainable...

On 1/12/2018 at 10:12 PM, sbr5496 said:

Anyone else applying to medical physics programs, or is it just me?

Hey ! 

I've applied to UTHealth, LSU, University of  Florida, Kentucky ,Cleveland State, Hofstra and Georgia Tech

Hi, I'm new here, but since my anxiety levels are off the charts, I figured I'd poke my head in and see if I could get some consolation from other people going through the same thing. This waiting game is so ridiculous! 

I am waiting to hear back from 3 schools and it's just ... nerve-wracking. I'm so glad I'm not the only person sweating it out. Happy to be here and joining the discussion!

7 hours ago, ranju said:

Hey ! 

I've applied to UTHealth, LSU, University of  Florida, Kentucky ,Cleveland State, Hofstra and Georgia Tech

Sweet! I also applied to UTHealth, LSU, Florida, and Georgia Tech (where I was accepted today!), as well as McGill, Victoria, Toledo, OHSU, Arizona, and Wisconsin (rejected yesterday rip)

I applied to two electrical engineering programs to focus on machine learning and signal processing. I am expecting a decision next week from one of the schools I applied to, and the anticipation is killing me.

54 minutes ago, jrmchugh said:

I applied to two electrical engineering programs to focus on machine learning and signal processing. I am expecting a decision next week from one of the schools I applied to, and the anticipation is killing me.

Likewise! I'm expecting a decision from an ML program next week too. Best of luck!