Fall 2018 Admission

PhD_hopeful_

18 hours ago, eighty8keys said:

Also, I think I'm going to try to stop looking at the results page as often as I have. I guess, I realized, I'm never going to find out good news from there. All it's going to do is make me stress out if I see that someone else has heard from a school that I've applied to, but give me no real closure. I'll check occasionally, as I would like to keep up to date on what's going on, but I want to stop being as obsessive as I've been. I feel like the advantage of applying to grad school is that I get to hear back earlier. However, the nice thing about undergrad admissions was that for most of the schools that I applied to, I had a good idea of when I was hearing back from schools, and when things happened, they typically happened for everybody at one time. It's just a bit unnerving that any day, a professor could potentially email to ask to interview (if I'm lucky :rolleyes:), which is why I think the results page is so addicting.

I feel you. It's an obsession. And people from the programs I applied to are getting offers already.

Also, I'm so afraid of interviews, I'm horrible with them and I don't understand what these interviews look like.

1 hour ago, khigh said:

It's hard.  I'm on the other side of 30 and I have a good paying job that I will hopefully be giving up for a lifetime of chasing adjunct work. It's scary to know my salary will be cut in half, but I still want to be accepted to grad school more than anything.

Same here regarding age and salary, but I already cut my salary in half as I'm only working part-time in order to have time for research. Looking at PhD stipends I will be lucky to even get a quarter of the salary I make... working in the tech industry is supremely lucrative. That is part of the reason so many have been lured away from grad school into industry positions in my field. Yet, I'm doing the opposite! Sometimes I worry if it's the right decision, but I truly think the skills I gain will be worth it.

11 minutes ago, spamhaus said:

Same here regarding age and salary, but I already cut my salary in half as I'm only working part-time in order to have time for research. Looking at PhD stipends I will be lucky to even get a quarter of the salary I make... working in the tech industry is supremely lucrative. That is part of the reason so many have been lured away from grad school into industry positions in my field. Yet, I'm doing the opposite! Sometimes I worry if it's the right decision, but I truly think the skills I gain will be worth it.

I did a gap year this year. I'm in luxury car sales, so the pay is very good. I'd rather not be doing it my whole life, though. I have time to research and write at work (which is what I'm doing now), but it's not the same.

21 hours ago, eighty8keys said:

I'm sure as a CS major, I'd be able to find a job. But since I know I want to get a PhD, I feel like unless I'm doing something related to my research goals, it would be a waste of a year. And I'm worried that if I don't get in anywhere, I'll be stuck doing some random CS job that won't strengthen my profile. 

I'm a Biology major and I'm currently feeling this. Got a job in a lab and this is my gap year, but it doesn't pertain to my research interests in the slightest. I'm worried grad schools will deny me because I wasted this gap year.

For the first time, saw a result from a school I applied to. Fortunately, it was only one person not a bunch, so that makes me feel better. And honestly, it seems a bit early compared to last year, so I'm not worrying too much about it yet. This now makes it much harder to not become obsessive, though!!! I think I'm actually happy that school is returning. Distractions!

I just wanna get in somewhere and let the senioritis slip in, haha. When I was applying to undergrad, I was binging The Vampire Diaries (no judging). But I made myself not go too fast so that when I heard back, I would have episodes left to binge those day (either as a reward or to drown my sorrows).

Edited by eighty8keys

54 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

Also, I'm actually glad that only one of my grads schools has a decision portal. I can't imagine checking the results page here and trying to check every one of my schools' decision portals. It'd be torturous. 

I have a decision portal for the program I applied to. I obsessed so much at first that now I have alarms on my phone for when I am allowed to check- 0800, 1200, and 1700. Outside those times, I will not let myself even attempt to log in.  It's helped just a little bit.

I wish I was that.. I wish I had that much willpower, Khigh.

I saw a bunch of admissions from my top pick got posted yesterday... I'm.. I asked my professor who works there to go bug admissions for me, hah. He said he wanted me, and I've worked for him before so.. maybe since he's going to ask I'll hear soon. I hope. Northwestern University, don't break my heart...

56 minutes ago, Fiain said:

I wish I was that.. I wish I had that much willpower, Khigh.

I saw a bunch of admissions from my top pick got posted yesterday... I'm.. I asked my professor who works there to go bug admissions for me, hah. He said he wanted me, and I've worked for him before so.. maybe since he's going to ask I'll hear soon. I hope. Northwestern University, don't break my heart...

i haven't heard back from northwestern (or any of my other unis yet) I'm hoping that it will come through soon as this waiting is really killing me. Especially seeing as other people have heard already from some of my choices.. i just want to know!

4 minutes ago, gg.rose said:

i haven't heard back from northwestern (or any of my other unis yet) I'm hoping that it will come through soon as this waiting is really killing me. Especially seeing as other people have heard already from some of my choices.. i just want to know!

You applied there too? I'm a chemistry major.

That makes me feel a bit better, that I'm not the only one who hasn't heard. And.. yeah, I think we all just want to know. I wish unis could just be like, all decisions released on this date. And that was it. Would make waiting so much easier. XD

41 minutes ago, Fiain said:

You applied there too? I'm a chemistry major.

That makes me feel a bit better, that I'm not the only one who hasn't heard. And.. yeah, I think we all just want to know. I wish unis could just be like, all decisions released on this date. And that was it. Would make waiting so much easier. XD

Yeah so am I! Im also an international student but I'm not sure if that makes a difference 

A definitive date would be nice, constant refreshing of emails is getting a little tiresome.. also because i live on the other side of the world ill probably get the email when I'm asleep so i always check with such hope when i wake up!   

2 minutes ago, gg.rose said:

Yeah so am I! Im also an international student but I'm not sure if that makes a difference 

A definitive date would be nice, constant refreshing of emails is getting a little tiresome.. also because i live on the other side of the world ill probably get the email when I'm asleep so i always check with such hope when i wake up!   

What area of chemistry do you specialize in? I'm in physical chemistry.

I'm a domestic student but out of state.. I've got pretty good everything except I only got a 33rd percentile on the chem GRE.. then again, I've been told for physical chem it doesn't matter all that much so. I did ask my professor that I worked for there to check in for me, so if he gives me any general admissions news I'll pass it on, ok? I hope you get in!

3 minutes ago, Fiain said:

What area of chemistry do you specialize in? I'm in physical chemistry.

I'm a domestic student but out of state.. I've got pretty good everything except I only got a 33rd percentile on the chem GRE.. then again, I've been told for physical chem it doesn't matter all that much so. I did ask my professor that I worked for there to check in for me, so if he gives me any general admissions news I'll pass it on, ok? I hope you get in!

Im biological chemistry! My undergrad major is medicinal chemistry, so its the most closely aligned

Yeah i couldn't take it because they only offer it once a year where I'm from and i couldn't afford to go over seas and sit it. Im sure if thats the only blip on the application you'll be fine! oh thank you that would be great! I hope you do too :)

8 hours ago, gg.rose said:

Yes! Someone I know already has an interview for the same school and program that I applied to, and it is my top choice. I'm so worried that I haven't heard anything yet!

15 hours ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Just got an email from UChicago saying they started to review apps for humanities programs

I thought for a second it was a real notification :o 

Ditto and ditto.  At least the wording in their form emails is friendlier than Columbia's...

So... I was interested in a program at this school and they had a dual-degree program for that department. As I was interested in this program, I applied to it and the dual program. However, as I'm looking into the dual program, it looks like it DOESN'T EXIST. I don't know why it was an option on their application, but it doesn't appear to exist outside of it. Since I paid to apply there, I'm trying to see if there's a way that I could switch that application to a program THAT ACTUALLY EXISTS. Sigh.

I'm just worried as I'm having trouble connecting to the people that could help me as it doesn't seem as though everybody is back yet. I know review of applications has already started, so I hope I hear back soon. I feel like my interests are very interdisciplinary, so the programs that I am applying to all make sense, but I hope it doesn't make me seem unfocused. And I hope it doesn't like I didn't do enough research. I have certainly looked into the original program; I just chose the dual-degree program based on my interest in the original program.

22 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

So... I was interested in a program at this school and they had a dual-degree program for that department. As I was interested in this program, I applied to it and the dual program. However, as I'm looking into the dual program, it looks like it DOESN'T EXIST. I don't know why it was an option on their application, but it doesn't appear to exist outside of it. Since I paid to apply there, I'm trying to see if there's a way that I could switch that application to a program THAT ACTUALLY EXISTS. Sigh.

This this one of the CMU joint ML PhDs?

9 minutes ago, spamhaus said:

This this one of the CMU joint ML PhDs?

Nah... So annoyed by this. But in good news, my school sent out an interesting looking research internship through the mailing list. It would be so cool to do, since I feel like it's rare to find any industry CS research opportunities without having a PhD.

2 hours ago, ShewantsthePhD101 said:

Pretty sure I'm gonna vomit. I made some last minute change to my SOP that I don't feel so good about... Anybody know when religion programs usually announce?

I've seen a couple announce in early february, but i've mostly seen them announce in march.