Fall 2018 Admission

PhD_hopeful_

7 hours ago, Fiain said:

So! 

I actually called Northwestern today, which, had good results (I hope) since the guy is going to try and get my professor involved but! I have news.

He told me that the Northwestern chem grad program should have all decisions made by next week.. I wish you well!

If you get in or hear any news, let me know, ok? And I'll try n keep you updated. If we both get in, I know the best pizza places in Evanston. XD

Thanks for letting me know!! best of luck to you too :) fingers crossed!!

On 1/9/2018 at 4:30 AM, dikshita said:

That's great! Which places are you applying to? @SnowAngel3535

Hey! I'm mostly applying to Canadian Schools. I'm applying to RIT for HCI in the US, Carleton, SFU and Toronto in Canada. Are you applying to similar programs as well?

17 hours ago, gg.rose said:

Thanks for letting me know!! best of luck to you too :) fingers crossed!!

I just got an admissions offer this morning!! I think that due to a time crunch put in place by another university (Cambridge wanted an answer this month), they sent it out early? The email stated that they didnt want me to need to wait another week leaving Cam. on hold, so wasnt just a copy pastad email

Best of luck - please let me know what your result is? Im hoping for you!

2 hours ago, raul.carmo said:

Just got an e-mail from the University of South Carolina with an admission offer!! I am so glad even though it is not my first option, at least I know that in August I will be in US again, just don't know where yet haha :D

And we were just talking about your status as an international applicant! Congratulations!

6 minutes ago, realllllJulia said:

I just got my first interview invitation! It's the formal Recruitment Weekend.

I'm so excited now.

I just read your other post about wanting just one acceptance, and it looks so promising now!!! Congrats!!! :)

15 hours ago, SnowAngel3535 said:

Hey! I'm mostly applying to Canadian Schools. I'm applying to RIT for HCI in the US, Carleton, SFU and Toronto in Canada. Are you applying to similar programs as well?

@SnowAngel3535 That's great! Good luck! I applied to UW, UMich in USA, UOT in Canada and EIT in Europe :)

On 12/30/2017 at 11:04 AM, Arkhy said:

Steven Scott, an AI researcher from Google was accused of sexual harassment by multiple women and is currently suspended.

My wife just pointed out troubling sexual harassment allegations in academia. A number specifically highlight harassment in CS departments:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/allegations-of-groping-lewd-comments-and-rape-academias-metoo-moment-1515672001

11 hours ago, TwirlingBlades said:

Professor turned in my last recommendation for a Jan 15 deadline. Relieved, since he is known for his forgetfulness (I had to remind him about my Dec 1st application).

Huzzah! I'm still waiting for my final recommender to submit for my last (yay) application, same due date. He's hit every other deadline, so I'm not too worried.

That's a lie. I'm incredibly worried anyway. :P

2 hours ago, GarbledGeyser said:

Huzzah! I'm still waiting for my final recommender to submit for my last (yay) application, same due date. He's hit every other deadline, so I'm not too worried.

Yay! I have 2 of 4 applications done. The other 2 are Feb deadlines. I'm planning on turning them in early though.

So excited that I've gotten into three programs already, two of which I'm suuuuuper excited about! And yet, I'm still refreshing my email constantly and I jump every time my phone rings. I got a call from my dad today and I nearly had a heart attack because I thought it was a school calling me. The worst part is having no clue when you're going to get your decision. I seem to remember that when I was applying to undergrad, the school told us exactly which day they would release decisions. This is just a stressful nightmare. 

Ugh... My undergrad just sent me an email about financial aid, and as a student who's about to graduate (and consequently, would not be applying this year), I thought it was from a grad school. :(

Congrats to all those who have gotten acceptances and interviews! I'm happy for you!!! But also really jealous, haha. I think I've started to hate weekends because I know my chance of hearing anything significantly decreases.

Also, I feel like schools have people that are definite rejects, so I wonder why they don't just send those rejections out then. Like, I'm talking about people who they wouldn't consider even as backups. I feel like notifying rejected candidates as early as possible makes it easier for them to figure out what else they're going to do with their lives. Just curious.

1 hour ago, eighty8keys said:

Ugh... My undergrad just sent me an email about financial aid, and as a student who's about to graduate (and consequently, would not be applying this year), I thought it was from a grad school. :(

Congrats to all those who have gotten acceptances and interviews! I'm happy for you!!! But also really jealous, haha. I think I've started to hate weekends because I know my chance of hearing anything significantly decreases.

Also, I feel like schools have people that are definite rejects, so I wonder why they don't just send those rejections out then. Like, I'm talking about people who they wouldn't consider even as backups. I feel like notifying rejected candidates as early as possible makes it easier for them to figure out what else they're going to do with their lives. Just curious.

Weekends are the worst right now. I recently took up trading crypto which has kept me relatively sane.

5 hours ago, GarbledGeyser said:

I had an app due on the 8th and after 10 emails over 3 months he finally finished them.   He hit the first two and I was afraid he wouldn't check his email in time.  He submitted the rest on the 6th.  I feel your pain. 

1 hour ago, Oli150 said:

Slowly losing my mind. The date I was supposed to learn about the decision has been changed three times. I applied early too. I am finding it hard to cope. 

I'm so sorry. Coping with early applications has been the biggest stressor over conferences, TAing, and IRB.

Hey everyone! I wish you all the best with your applications :) and I liked the thread so I figured I'd join in and talk about my applications too haha. 

So far, I'm only applying for two schools and they are both abroad. The first is for a PhD program in Australia, and I'd be doing interdisciplinary research in fashion/microbiology :D . Also applied for the Fulbright so I'm waiting to hear back within the next few weeks about the status of both of those applications since the Fulbright would fund my studies there! It's been a bit excruciating to wait for the Fulbright status because on their Instagram account, they announced colleges with their first ever finalists in November for this application cycle.  . . which means they've probably known for three months about whose in and whose not haha.

The second program is in China, and I would be doing a Master's in Textile Engineering. Working on my application now and plan to submit it by the end of this month, although it's due in April. Once I submit it, I should find out in a few weeks whether or not I get the funding (another grant application) I am applying for as well.

10 minutes ago, Loujoelou said:

The first is for a PhD program in Australia, and I'd be doing interdisciplinary research in fashion/microbiology :D . Also applied for the Fulbright so I'm waiting to hear back within the next few weeks about the status of both of those applications since the Fulbright would fund my studies there!

Did you apply for the RTP as well (technically it's open to people of all citizenships)? Those results have been coming out, but students on any unofficial waiting lists wouldn't know yet at most places. I think there are also some university scholarships at most Australian institutions for most nationalities. Good luck with it all! 

I just got my first interview invitation last night!!! I'm so happy I heard from somewhere. But now I'm expecting to hear back from other schools this upcoming week, and I don't want to commit to going to this interview if the interview for my top choice is the same weekend. Does anyone know if the other schools I applied to have an interview weekend Feb 22-24 (schools are in my signature)? If not, how long do I wait to accept this interview invitation and if I need to respond very soon, how do I go about telling him I am still very interested but want to make sure there are no conflicts? The last thing I want to do is accept this invitation and then have my top choice contact me and tell me their interview weekend is the same.