Fall 2018 Admission

PhD_hopeful_

I was accepted last week into NYU's Master of Social Work program (Advanced Standing). 

I submitted an application to Columbia's MSW program also and anticipate hearing back in February. 

Hi all.

I'm from India and applying for Master's of International Relations/Political Science (depending on Uni.) for 5 Unis in Canada and 1 in Australia.

Pretty anxious since being an international student has some serious added hurdles throughout the process. But I really want to study abroad, so gotta keep the hope up. 

Probably won't be hearing any decisions till late Feb, at best since most committees will only start meeting around early Feb, but we'll see.

5 hours ago, eighty8keys said:

Anybody else dealing with late LOR writers?

None of mine have been late...but a few have cut it very close. We're talking hours. Most places won't actually *look* at December apps til after the New Year, and there tends to be a little grace for late LORs.

I'm mainly worried about submitting 5 minutes past the deadline because my card wasn't accepted. I had to have a friend help. I know it's stupid, but the deadline was 8:59 pm. I sent mine at 9:05 pm and my profile states application submitted 12/02 instead of 12/01.:( 

I only applied to Ph.D. programs because I was told to apply to M.A programs once you get denied funding. 

Applying for Pure Math PhDs... I had one informal interview with a potential prof but other than that, nothing else yet. Apps are done and all of my LORs were sent in, so now it's just the waiting game. Probably won't start to hear back until February :(

University of Washington, Dartmouth, UC Davis, CU Boulder, U of Oregon, Oregon State, Wash State, Portland State. Had the interview at Wash State, seems like a really good fit for me and I'm fairly sure I'm well-qualified for their program...

Applied to three Psychology Ph.D. programs (Brown, Boston College, Harvard) for Fall 2018 and have been anxiously waiting to hear back. I checked the Results page and saw that a couple people got contacted today by Brown for interviews, which is making me worry! Anyone else apply to these programs?

I was under the impression that people who get very early interviews and acceptances are applying for STEM programs, so I guess nothing to worry about for now for me.

I'm pretty uncertain about most schools I am applying to for a French Ph.D., except for Rutgers because the chair of the program sent me an e-mail to tell me she read my statement of purpose and found it interesting :)  But yeah, otherwise I'll be very nervous until late January to March when most rejections and acceptances will come.

I applied to 7 programs (in my signature), and 5 of them kindly waived the application fee so that's why I could apply. My GPA is good and my background is good enough, but my quantitative GRE score was simply disastrous and the verbal one was at most acceptable. I also feel disadvantaged by a lack of published papers, but it's not that common in my field for undergraduates to publish, I suppose.

On 15/12/2017 at 1:12 PM, blueflovver said:

I applied to 15 programs (yeah, I'm crazy, but international students have shitty chances, so...), got interview invitation from Wisconsin Madison so far. Not my top choice, but still I'm happy like crazy. Though I see people getting calls from one of my top choices (UChicago) and it drives me crazy. WHY THEY DON'T CALL ME???

What's your field of study? I'm also applying to UChicago and will more likely be rejected, especially if some people are already receiving calls :( 

1 hour ago, MagicZhen said:

Not yet... I am still waiting. The status shows that the application is still in process. What about you?

Mine says pending, and when I click I read application is in review :(

I had high hopes for Ohio State and Mount Sinai, they are both first choices... But still nothing from them

I submitted all my applications in early November so it was nice to get them done early. It, however, has given me more time to overthink everything. I applied to 6 universities, but I can't help feel that I should have applied to more. The cost of application fees, sending gre scores, etc. was getting costly though.

There are a couple things that I am worried about. The first two years of undergrad was rough which affected by GPA. I took a semester off, switched my major, and was able to bring it up to a decent GPA. I don't have any publications but I did participate in a study abroad program. My GRE scores are acceptable and I think my letters of recommendations are strong. My main worry is if my application can compete with other applicants. I am trying to hope for the best.  

I become anxious whenever I am thinking of my applications.

Though it's my second round, as a master student now, I just can't help thinking of it. It feels like I will be rejected by all the programs I applied one day and I will be admitted to my dream school definitely the other day. :unsure:

29 minutes ago, realllllJulia said:

It feels like I will be rejected by all the programs I applied one day and I will be admitted to my dream school definitely the other day. :unsure:

I TOTALLY understand this; I'm the exact same way. Glad I'm not alone in my craziness :P

6 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

Based on results from previous years, it seems like good or bad, I won't hear from most of my schools until at least mid/late January, but I still have this part of me that is hoping that schools will randomly decide to let me know earlier than that this year. Anybody else?

My experience is the opposite actually; it seems like last year, my schools of choice notified (for interviews) like December 9th-18th so I'm over here trying not to bite my fingernails off. It's my first year applying, so I don't really know what to expect.

6 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

Based on results from previous years, it seems like good or bad, I won't hear from most of my schools until at least mid/late January, but I still have this part of me that is hoping that schools will randomly decide to let me know earlier than that this year. Anybody else?

Exactly - I only applied to three schools, so I'm doing the same freak out everyone is where I vacillate between certainty that it will be all rejections to certainty that they'll all accept me. Based on the results page from previous years I shouldn't expect anything from 2 until 1/24 and 1 until "mid-January" but I'm still every day like "maybe today".....ugh, I wish I could put it out of my mind entirely, but it is...my entire future on the line, no big deal, right lol. 

Reading other people stressing makes it a little easier to calm myself. I'm just trying to keep busy with hobbies and hope the time will pass quicker if I'm happy. 

14 minutes ago, CandideCoating said:

Exactly - I only applied to three schools, so I'm doing the same freak out everyone is where I vacillate between certainty that it will be all rejections to certainty that they'll all accept me. Based on the results page from previous years I shouldn't expect anything from 2 until 1/24 and 1 until "mid-January" but I'm still every day like "maybe today".....ugh, I wish I could put it out of my mind entirely, but it is...my entire future on the line, no big deal, right lol. 

Reading other people stressing makes it a little easier to calm myself. I'm just trying to keep busy with hobbies and hope the time will pass quicker if I'm happy. 

I applied to one program and they notify around 1/20, but I’m still checking multiple times a day. The waiting period is going to drive me to drinking. 

Anyone else underrepresented in their field? I feel like it makes the application process even more confusing. Like, I know it *might" mean something,  but I have no idea how much it does. I think I have a decently strong dossier without that being considered. However, it'd be nice to have some clarity as to where I actually stand. And from what I've heard about academia and being underrepresented, there gets to be a point as you go higher up where the cons start to outweigh any possible benefits (i.e. discrimination in academia, yay!). Hoping this isn't that point... Actually, hoping I just never experience that, but I'm sure it's coming...

Edited by eighty8keys

Just had a phone conversation with my POI at one of my top choices. She said my application was viewed favorably by 3 of the committee members and she is really going to fight for me. I thought it was a great sign but then she ended the convo by saying that those with higher GREs often get accepted first and I might not get a first round acceptance. So I really don't know how to take it. 

Edited by 94AVL