The Positivity Thread

PokePsych

Moved into my new apartment yesterday. I am homesick for my precious city for sure, but I'm proud of myself for driving so much stuff stuff five hours all by myself. And I have central AC for the first time in four years. Such a luxury!

Confirmed my first rotation with a PI I truly admire. Had orientation today and feeling confident. Transitioning from quarter system to semester system will likely be rough at first. Otherwise I'm excited to begin!

1 hour ago, sgaw10 said:

Confirmed my first rotation with a PI I truly admire. Had orientation today and feeling confident. Transitioning from quarter system to semester system will likely be rough at first. Otherwise I'm excited to begin!

Congrats! I'm really excited to be going the other way. In fact, many of my second-year classes will be 6 weeks.

For semester classes, the big thing is when your breaks are, and how often. My old school had no breaks but a week off two weeks before classes were over. That semester hurt.

1 hour ago, Bird Vision said:

Congrats! I'm really excited to be going the other way. In fact, many of my second-year classes will be 6 weeks.

For semester classes, the big thing is when your breaks are, and how often. My old school had no breaks but a week off two weeks before classes were over. That semester hurt.

Quarters are so much better because you can take so many more classes. And yeah, in undergrad I liked not having any homework to do over breaks. Plus if you hate a topic in class, it does not drag on like it would in a semester. Oh well. I think it's mostly nostalgia for undergrad overall for me, though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a B on an exam for a physics course that's been kicking my ass! Yaaaaaay!!! I don't even know how it's possible, since I felt less prepared going in and felt worse about the outcome then for the first exam which I got a C+ on. I mean, the answer for one of my problems was a giant question mark, and I somehow still got a B! Celebrations are in order.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 3:06 AM, bibliophile222 said:

Today I went for a walk in the woods and found some perfectly ripe blackberries. I got some bug bites and an unidentified rash on my leg in the process, but it was totally worth it.

Taking a walk in the woods is definitely underappreciated. It's a great way to refresh your mind and get some inspiration. 

So, despite the fact that I am going through another shitty week in my love life (as usual), here are the positive things career-wise:

- will publish an op-ed exactly on my research topic and will get paid for it,

- i have won another community award

-i was invited to speak at a national conference that's exactly related to my doctoral work. i'm nervous because I don't have original data, but i said yes because they really wanted my expertise.

-i was invited as a co-author to be part of a book that's exactly related to my research work, also got paid for that. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got an offer to be a tenure track faculty from a good institution. I am in a very rare field where this is still possible right out of grad school, and even with us, probably half of everyone graduating will have to take visitings this year because the market is rough. I am going to the school of my dreams, and I can't chalk it up to anything other than being incredibly blessed.