The Positivity Thread

PokePsych

I'm really happy that I ended up with a good cohort, since I've heard so many tales of cliques, back-stabbing, and competitiveness in many other programs. After seeing everyone day in, day out for ~7 months we don't have any bad vibes, work well together, and filmed an awesome video last night about thickened liquids. ?

UVM CSD class of 2020 rocks!

Edited by bibliophile222

I've been spending hours and hours over the last few days completing the testing portion of an online training that requires 80% correct to pass. So far everyone in my cohort who has passed it has taken at least 2-3 tries, so I thought I was screwed because in all of my practice I've been averaging 60%. But I just passed on the first try and now I can stop thinking about swallowing studies for the time being! 

AND I just found out my school store has a snack mix I adore and haven't had in a few years because I couldn't find it anywhere and thought they stopped making it. Life is good.

Well, I had no luck getting off the waitlist at Rice. But now I don't have to stress about the process, since I am officially going to the only school that wanted me :) Headed to WashU this fall. Glad this process is over. Not how I imagined this to unfold. Sad to leave Chicago in a few months, but I'm gonna learn to like St. Louis. And I have a great pair of potential advisors, so I'm not worried about academic fit.

5 hours ago, sgaw10 said:

Well, I had no luck getting off the waitlist at Rice. But now I don't have to stress about the process, since I am officially going to the only school that wanted me :) Headed to WashU this fall. Glad this process is over. Not how I imagined this to unfold. Sad to leave Chicago in a few months, but I'm gonna learn to like St. Louis. And I have a great pair of potential advisors, so I'm not worried about academic fit.

:) It’s a “peace feeling”, isn’t it? I feel the same! I’m not going to my first choice but I’m going to a good school, the one who wanted me from the beginning and from whom I get a good vibe!

We can finally start planning ahead and fall in love with our new countries/cities ♥️

6 hours ago, CherryBlossom_ said:

:) It’s a “peace feeling”, isn’t it? I feel the same! I’m not going to my first choice but I’m going to a good school, the one who wanted me from the beginning and from whom I get a good vibe!

We can finally start planning ahead and fall in love with our new countries/cities ♥️

Yes, it's been a long 4 months of waiting and even longer of test and application prep. Time to relax before moving and the real stress begins. Congrats!

It took me forEVER to write a complete draft of my major seminar paper this semester. I have three others, but those only need to be 12-15 pages and aren't super related to my research interests. But this draft ended up being 26 pages and is the kind of work I want to publish someday.

And it's DONE! It took me weeks, but it's DONE! I'm so happy! 

Next week my colleagues will workshop it with me and help me fix it up real pretty like, and then the semester will be done!

Having a hard time looking for this thread.

I just want to say Thanks to my PI, my hubby and my best friend for all the support that they gave me! I was at a very low place in Jan-Feb, then I hurt my arm in Feb doing kickboxing. OVERALL low due to not getting into school and doubting my abilities and feeling old...

Early April, my PI offered me a spot in his new research group. I missed the deadline to apply for Grad school in the school for Fall 2019. But he assured me he could get me in for Spring 2020. What would I do in those 6 months? Then he recommended me to discuss that option with his coworker/ friend. And he was able to convince my PI to pull me into the program for Fall 2019 instead. 

I am beyond happy and surprised. I applied late to the program (like the end of March) and got an offer letter a week later. Really thanks to my PI who are being very helpful to me. And my husband and best friend who were there for me. HERE I AM BME PHD! I am ready! :) 

4 hours ago, StHoly said:

Having a hard time looking for this thread.

I just want to say Thanks to my PI, my hubby and my best friend for all the support that they gave me! I was at a very low place in Jan-Feb, then I hurt my arm in Feb doing kickboxing. OVERALL low due to not getting into school and doubting my abilities and feeling old...

Early April, my PI offered me a spot in his new research group. I missed the deadline to apply for Grad school in the school for Fall 2019. But he assured me he could get me in for Spring 2020. What would I do in those 6 months? Then he recommended me to discuss that option with his coworker/ friend. And he was able to convince my PI to pull me into the program for Fall 2019 instead. 

I am beyond happy and surprised. I applied late to the program (like the end of March) and got an offer letter a week later. Really thanks to my PI who are being very helpful to me. And my husband and best friend who were there for me. HERE I AM BME PHD! I am ready! :) 

I am thrilled for you. I hope we are both incredibly productive on our BME PhD endeavors :)

I just posted a vent, so I thought I'd force myself to think of something good. My immediate thought is that I have a full bottle of Margaritas in the fridge and chocolate ice cream in the freezer. ? A more substantive good thing is that a final paper for a class is going to be much easier than I thought, since the professor clarified a few things in class today. 

Committed to the master’s program ♥️ new life ahead of me! So excited! New country, new dreams, new challenges, I can’t wait for it!

Next two months: enjoy every second here in my beloved home country/city, with parents and friends! 

Edited by CherryBlossom_

I'm glad I spoke with my supervisor and explained to her the pressure I feel daily ever since I learned I failed. She is going to give me feedback on what I have written so far by Tuesday. My anxiety level went down today. I ate ice cream to congratulate me for my good work. I'm a fighter. I'll make it, one day at a time.