The Positivity Thread

PokePsych

• 4 weeks later...

I got an A+ on my final paper for one of the courses I took this Winter. The prof even invited me to share my research experience in a future semester to the next cohort. Really happy, this was one of the papers I was most worried about (worth almost half my grade for this class!)

I was just going through some old files from undergrad and found something that made me cry from laughter.

My undergrad was online at a for-profit school, so there were some students that, well, maaaybe weren't ideal candidates for higher education, to put it politely. In one class there was this girl who wrote INSANE discussion posts. In addition to the terrible grammar and lack of insight into the topic, her posts were incredibly long and veered from wild tangent to even wilder tangent. She found vocab words (I'm guessing from the thesaurus in Word) that made no sense in context but substituted them in for simpler words. 

So it turns out that I saved all of this girl's bizarro discussion posts in a Word doc and was able to reread them all. It feels like Christmas!

I think my favorite line is "The cusp is that ants are a common living thing these days. That will never go away. The cogent is how many are there???"

Amazing.

Today is my birthday and my graduation day. At first I thought it was a bummer that we're doing a virtual ceremony, but now I'm really excited about it. It's just our department, so it will be very intimate and personalized. We're doing things like senior quotes and superlatives, individualized remarks about us from the professors, and two of us are giving speeches, none of which would have been able to happen in a traditional ceremony. Aside from not bring able to celebrate together in person, I'm actually happy that it turned out this way.

1. I finished the semester with three A's and an A-. the program I'm in curves grades to a B+ and most profs do not give out A+'s so these grades are a big accomplishment for me.

2. Reached out to journal in my field to write a book review for them, they said yes.

3. Just submitted my thesis proposal

• 2 weeks later...

I re-began reading for comps today. And I found my motivation back. I also switched the calendar of my readings. I am starting with question 2, that has a lot more articles than books on the opposite of question 1. So it helps me with my motivation. What I am reading is actually very interesting on top of that so it helps. 

Edited by Adelaide9216

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I did one of the most difficult, yet courageous thing I could ever do in my life last Friday. And everything is working out well. This is what I was meant to do. And I am proud to have gone forward despite being fearful. 

Given the current circumstances incited by COVID and the George Floyd protests, I am just happy to have passed all of my classes. (There was a mandatory pass/fail). 

My dissertation advisor has been really attentive to my proposed topic, which actually feels amazing. Unlike a distant advisor, I think my dissertation advisor is really enthusiastic about guiding my research -- and I have heard she is usually MIA and hard to reach. So, I am not going to lie this makes me feel good! 

I'm also just happy to have turn in each of my assignments at a more reasonable time. For me, I am trying to focus on the daily small victories that really count. 

Edited by fossati

I'm starting my first full-time job in my field (speech pathologist at a middle school) at the end of August, and my part-time job ends at the end of July, so I was getting really stressed about finances and was debating paying rent late or borrowing money from family. My credit's in the crapper now from grad school, and my options are really limited.

However, I heard from my school district that because of the way the pay periods work, my first pay check will be on August 13th, before I even start working. Things are still a bit tight, but that two-week jump start on pay makes an enormous difference, and waves of relief keep washing over me.

• 1 month later...