The Positivity Thread

PokePsych

Okay, so I stopped panicking about my Results chapter. My advisor sent me her comments for the first time today, I have changes to make, but it's an easy-fix she said. The document she sent me back did not have thousands of comments so it's doable. I can submit in three weeks and graduate on time.

I aced the written part of my preliminary exams. I was really worried about the questions from one committee member - he's notoriously a handful and it's difficult to satisfy him. However, he was perhaps the most pleased of everyone with my responses! Now I just have to survive the oral component. 

10 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

I am adopting a dog tomorrow!!!! After years of wanting to, my living situation finally is right, and I am beyond excited!

That is the way to do it, when you are ready in your life to take that responsibility. Pets do help with bringing the muses too. We have Northwestern, Michigan, and Illinois@Urbana. Good luck.

I have just a few days to send out a polished version of my master's thesis to my supervisor. Plus, I am giving a talk to young girls this weekend, on top of everything else I have to do. I hope I'll make it. 

Other than that, I am going to see a play at the theater tonight. It's a play on sexual violence. Very timely and related to my research interests. Apparently, it's a really good play and I haven't gone to a theater in a long time. I'm excited (I'm going on my own. Me time!)

Edited by Adelaide9216

15 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I have just a few days to send out a polished version of my master's thesis to my supervisor. Plus, I am giving a talk to young girls this weekend, on top of everything else I have to do. I hope I'll make it. 

Other than that, I am going to see a play at the theater tonight. It's a play on sexual violence. Very timely and related to my research interests. Apparently, it's a really good play and I haven't gone to a theater in a long time. I'm excited (I'm going on my own. Me time!)

What was the play? How was it? (And good luck this weekend!)

Just now, MayliC said:

What was the play? How was it? (And good luck this weekend!)

It’s a play in French called Consentement (Consent in English). It’s two couples of lawyers who discuss their sexual violence court cases. It was good. There was a lot of moment of humour despite the topic being really serious and heavy.

thanks!

I have cut ties with a man that I fell in love with (we were friends since 2012) due to the fact that he kept sending me mixed signals for the past two years while not wanting to move forward with me (having a relationship). I haven't spoken to him in more than a month now, and I already see a difference in my happiness level and in my general mood. I'm better off without him.

I realize that I am loved, I am respected and admired by many people around me. I'm told often that I make a difference in people's lives. I'm happy about that.

Having an acceptance offer for a PhD program from the only university I have applied in gives me a confidence boost. I can't wait to move to pursue my passion. 

Edited by Adelaide9216

Despite flight mishaps both ways, first interview weekend went well. I missed my flight there and thought I blew the interview already, but everyone was so kind to me. I was taken aback! Interviews with faculty made me nervous, but they felt like casual conversations. The director said that even though they have another interview weekend in a month, they will send decisions to our group next week or the week after. Hoping for my first acceptance.

19 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I have cut ties with a man that I fell in love with (we were friends since 2012) due to the fact that he kept sending me mixed signals for the past two years while not wanting to move forward with me (having a relationship). I haven't spoken to him in more than a month now, and I already see a difference in my happiness level and in my general mood. I'm better off without him.

I realize that I am loved, I am respected and admired by many people around me. I'm told often that I make a difference in people's lives. I'm happy about that.

Having an acceptance offer for a PhD program from the only university I have applied in gives me a confidence boost. I can't wait to move to pursue my passion. 

WHOOOOOO! I'm so happy for you. You go girl!!

On 1/26/2019 at 8:35 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

This is great! Good for you!

My PhD journey has been fraught with self-doubt, several hiccups, an advisor change, and often feelings of dread and poor self-worth. However, things have really been coming together!

My current advisor makes me feel like an intelligent and worthwhile person. I love my new(ish) GTA position (although I loved my old one, too). I completed and passed my oral prelims yesterday and was informed that several committee members voted that I exceeded their expectations. I also found out today that my grant proposal for my research is being funded. It's not a mega amount of money, but enough to do a lot of cool things. I was told that the grant committee was really excited about my proposal, too! I am also officially a co-PI on the project, which means I have co-ownership of the project and get to put that on my CV. I don't know how these things work in other fields, but in the sciences, grad students often write the proposals (or big chunks of the proposals) and their advisors submit them in their own name, providing no recognition to the student. It's great to be acknowledged on this and the fact that I was able to secure my own funding as a grad student will look really good when I apply to jobs when I graduate!

Got two days of no work/school due to the polar vortex. I got to chill at home with my cat and boyfriend. Forcing myself to relax (since I tend to be a workaholic) was good for me, and I feel very refreshed today :)