The Positivity Thread

PokePsych

On 27/12/2017 at 8:03 PM, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Bought me two vinyl records this Christmas. Lana Del Rey's Lust For Life, because I love her and have every LP by her so far, and Cigarettes After Sex's self-titled debut, which is nothing short of heavenly.

They arrived today! USPS is slow but who cares :-P

46 minutes ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

It's a cheap Crosley from urban outfitters (couldn't afford a better one at the moment lol)

I guess you like the faux-vintage look.

When you're accepted into a program and have a few extra bucks from your stipend, consider buying one of these: https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

It's the cheapest real turntable on the market.  Basic, utilitarian TT with a simple elegant design.  Quality parts and performance based on time honored physics principles will make your LPs and your ears happy.  The Orbit will preserve your record collection longer because it is set up to correctly track LPs using a quality phonograph cartridge.  

If you have one of the Crosley TTs with built-in amplifier and don't have a separate one lying around, you can buy cheap amplified speakers, such as these:  https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R980T-Active-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B01LXDZ8WB/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515627837&sr=1-5&keywords=amplified+speakers

Regardless if you end up getting better equipment, your records will last much longer and with fewer pops and ticks if you clean them periodically by hand.  There are numerous YouTube videos on this or you can google "how to clean LPs by hand" and get methods by industry experts.  And please, please don't eat food while touching your LPs.  It's a death knell.  

Happy Listening!

19 minutes ago, ltr317 said:

When you're accepted into a program and have a few extra bucks from your stipend, consider buying one of these: https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

It's the cheapest real turntable on the market.  Basic, utilitarian TT with a simple elegant design.  Quality parts and performance based on time honored physics principles will make your LPs and your ears happy.  The Orbit will preserve your record collection longer because it is set up to correctly track LPs using a quality phonograph cartridge.  

If you have one of the Crosley TTs with built-in amplifier and don't have a separate one lying around, you can buy cheap amplified speakers, such as these:  https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R980T-Active-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B01LXDZ8WB/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515627837&sr=1-5&keywords=amplified+speakers

Regardless if you end up getting better equipment, your records will last much longer and with fewer pops and ticks if you clean them periodically by hand.  There are numerous YouTube videos on this or you can google "how to clean LPs by hand" and get methods by industry experts.  And please, please don't eat food while touching your LPs.  It's a death knell.  

Happy Listening!

Thank you for this! I'm actually excited to move to a city with lots of record shops. Will definitely check out videos to keep them clean.

1 hour ago, ltr317 said:

Happy Listening!

I was lucky to have inherited my grandparent's record player/television combo.  You know, the big pieces of furniture from the 60s.  I LOVE the way it sounds. There is nothing like Led Zeppelin on an old record player.

1 hour ago, khigh said:

I was lucky to have inherited my grandparent's record player/television combo.  You know, the big pieces of furniture from the 60s.  I LOVE the way it sounds. There is nothing like Led Zeppelin on an old record player.

Yeah, all LPs recorded in the 1960s and 1970s were uncompressed before the digital revolution.  This means dynamics were far greater producing more impact.  What your grandparents had and you inherited is known as a stereo and TV console.  I would suggest you check the needle on the turntable.  It probably needs replacement. 

1 hour ago, ltr317 said:

Yeah, all LPs recorded in the 1960s and 1970s were uncompressed before the digital revolution.  This means dynamics were far greater producing more impact.  What your grandparents had and you inherited is known as a stereo and TV console.  I would suggest you check the needle on the turntable.  It probably needs replacement. 

I replaced it last year. It definitely made a difference. 

On 1/10/2018 at 8:02 PM, physthrowaway1234 said:

Nothing that positive is happening for me right now, but I have found this thread which I really like :) Your efforts are strong and inspiring to me.

I hope some positive things come your way!

1 hour ago, Len said:

Reading this thread has brightened my day!

I'm happy because it's Friday, it's raining, and I have a new book to read. 

I'm glad I'm not alone in loving Friday rainy days!

Just got invited to the Power Admins group on Facebook. I don’t know why that makes me happy. It’s an invite only group for admins of groups with over 20k members. 

54 minutes ago, 01sonal said:

Where did you get it? I want one on my cartilage piercing so bad! 

Just an additional earlobe one. Though I've decided to go back in a month for a cartilage on the other ear (thinking rook or helix). They were really professional - I was really impressed. Let me know if you end up getting the cartilage done! 

59 minutes ago, lemma said:

Just an additional earlobe one. Though I've decided to go back in a month for a cartilage on the other ear (thinking rook or helix). They were really professional - I was really impressed. Let me know if you end up getting the cartilage done! 

I'm hoping to go within the next few months! I'm kind of nervous to be honest. I got my nose pierced a couple years ago and it didn't hurt very badly at all but for some reason I'm quite nervous about my ear. Rook piercings are so cute! I was considering one but decided on helix at least for the time being. 

I learned this week that I am going to be featured in a book. :)

I went window-shopping for glasses with my sister and my mother today.

I am happy to be back to school this week. 

Edited by Adelaide9216

Wow...there's a lot of activity on the results board today. Seems like we're really coming into the thick of it now. The wait is almost over! (Congrats to those who've heard positive things!)