The Positivity Thread

PokePsych

My meditation tapes often talk about practicing gratefulness to decrease stress and feelings of depression, so after a majorly ridiculous day, I think I'll indulge.

1. On the day of a Skype interview (which was stressing me out), I'm grateful I got to spend the morning with friends painting a Dr. Seuss mural at a women's shelter. Doing good and doing art really helped chill me out before the interview. 

2. I'm grateful to my friend who allowed me to conduct my interview at her house because she has good wifi and mine sucks.  

3. I'm grateful one of my SOP editors told me to narrow my interests more and come up with a few good project ideas, because they asked for ideas during the interview, so if I hadn't spent the time to come up with ideas, I would have been laughed out of the interview. 

I found out today that I passed a really daunting professional exam (~40% pass rate) on my first attempt, and somehow scored in the top band :o

It might seem weird to be taking a professional exam, given that I'm hoping to pursue an academic career. I registered for this exam before I started my PhD applications, as my current firm implicitly requires people to do it. If I decide to be an industry-based researcher eventually, it will probably be useful for that. 

I'm so relieved - I was supposed to study for four months but because of my PhD application process, that got cut to six weeks, so I ended up being under an uncomfortable amount of stress. The other person in the office also passed, and had been shattered to fail it six months ago, so I'm over the moon for us both. 

Started researching primary sources for a book that my boyfriend and I want to write about the experiences of women in Berlin in 1945. It made me realize that I can still be an historian even if I don't make it this cycle.

5 hours ago, khigh said:

Started researching primary sources for a book that my boyfriend and I want to write about the experiences of women in Berlin in 1945. It made me realize that I can still be an historian even if I don't make it this cycle.

I currently live in Berlin. If you need some information, send me a PM and I will see what I can scrounge up here.

OMG my master thesis results came out actually quite nice! Hope my advisor will be equally thrilled because we're on too something superinteresting and theoretical + practical important. Can't wait to do some followups

On-site interview went SO WELL it's ridiculous. The stable isotope lab/profs/town/everything at this school was so surprisingly good that the school actually jumped up my list from tier 2 to 1. Which is kinda great and kinda terrible because now I have 3 schools in my personal tier 1 and this one is nowhere near the water (which is a giant drawback for me). Decision time is gonna be hard lol