Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

5 minutes ago, toxicmoss said:

UCSB seems to traditionally notify late if the surveys say anything. Maybe this week...?

I’m confused too! Maybe the pre-1900s people they admitted don’t lurk here? I’m kind of apprehensive about those wait lists though seeing as I’m also post-1900s American/modern lit 

Who knows - maybe. I think they were aiming for a pretty large cohort so I felt at least we'd see a few acceptances go up before wait lists.

1 hour ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

I'm going to email ALL programs I am still waiting on once I get back from visiting U of Delaware (March 11-12) to ask if I can get an update. 

Hopefully we will hear from UCSB by then.

Honestly, I think we've been rejected or waitlisted.

Ahh you're a star! Agreed that hopefully we've heard something by then though haha! I'm wondering if they're waiting to hear back initial responses from their 1st round of admits before deciding whether to admit a 2nd round or waitlist people...this is very different from what they've done before I think (all at once) but maybe if, as you said, they're looking for a large cohort they're trying it out? (also! How did you know what size cohort they were looking for? :o Any more deets? /nosy)

15 minutes ago, toxicmoss said:

I’m confused too! Maybe the pre-1900s people they admitted don’t lurk here? I’m kind of apprehensive about those wait lists though seeing as I’m also post-1900s American/modern lit 

I thiiiink I'm the only lurker! @signandsignifiers as well? I'm just generally mystified why schools don't send out rejections immediately if they have all acceptances/waitlists out, unless they have some soft waitlist situation going on.  But that's my trying to comprehend the strange inner-workings of the admissions process, which no mere mortal should ever attempt :lol: 

1 hour ago, chellyfish_ said:

I thiiiink I'm the only lurker! @signandsignifiers as well? I'm just generally mystified why schools don't send out rejections immediately if they have all acceptances/waitlists out, unless they have some soft waitlist situation going on.  But that's my trying to comprehend the strange inner-workings of the admissions process, which no mere mortal should ever attempt :lol: 

Yep, I’m one as well. At this point, I think I’ve only seen the two of us as admitted UCR lurkers, but both of us got our acceptances last week (and, I believe, we’re both pre-1900s). Honestly the whole system just confuses me as well. I dont understand why they don’t just send everything out at once to rip the bandaid off.

Edited by signandsignifiers

1 hour ago, chellyfish_ said:

Ahh you're a star! Agreed that hopefully we've heard something by then though haha! I'm wondering if they're waiting to hear back initial responses from their 1st round of admits before deciding whether to admit a 2nd round or waitlist people...this is very different from what they've done before I think (all at once) but maybe if, as you said, they're looking for a large cohort they're trying it out? (also! How did you know what size cohort they were looking for? :o Any more deets? /nosy)

No idea about the size of the cohort! 

I'm just completely spitballing about the waitlist. I applied to UCSB last round as well, and was rejected, but don't remember it taking this long, but I could be misremembering.

13 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

No idea about the size of the cohort! 

I'm just completely spitballing about the waitlist. I applied to UCSB last round as well, and was rejected, but don't remember it taking this long, but I could be misremembering.

You're definitely remembering right! Acceptances happened (apart from a couple) happened the 16th, rejections and waitlists the 17th. HmmmMMmMmMm....

16 minutes ago, jpbends said:

So, is it safe to assume that Columbia is a "no" if we haven't been notified?

That's what I'm assuming since it looks like acceptances and waitlists went out.

11 hours ago, hng said:

@D13charlie and any others who haven't heard from UVA: I just e-mailed them asking what was up, so hopefully I'll hear something at least on Monday and I will post about it then.

I emailed too but assuming it is another rejection (1w, 8r) and asking for feedback. Can compare notes when I hear back!

On 2/24/2018 at 3:55 PM, hng said:

@D13charlie and any others who haven't heard from UVA: I just e-mailed them asking what was up, so hopefully I'll hear something at least on Monday and I will post about it then.

I was in the same boat with UVA; I just got an email from the admissions director that I'm on the "long waitlist" (I assume a secondary waitlist, since official waitlist notifications went out last week) and an offer of admission is unlikely, and was offered a place in their MA program instead. FYI for anyone else still waiting to hear back!

Saw some USC English rejections on the results page and they stated that they only found out due to a random portal check.

Checked my portal and no letter to be found. Perhaps they are just being late with my rejection?

Or, does anyone know if USC does an invisible waitlist, meaning not informing you if you are on it? - I'm thinking of emailing them and my other remaining programs soon.

56 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

Saw some USC English rejections on the results page and they stated that they only found out due to a random portal check.

Checked my portal and no letter to be found. Perhaps they are just being late with my rejection?

Or, does anyone know if USC does an invisible waitlist, meaning not informing you if you are on it? - I'm thinking of emailing them and my other remaining programs soon.

Hi! I am on the waitlist at USC and was notified via email the same day they did their acceptances. When I check the portal it still says submitted and nothing else. I can't answer your question about the possibility of an invisible waitlist but when I spoke with who I assume to be the DGS today he mentioned that things have been quite hectic over there. I also happen to know that they are hiring right now and are in the process of job talks so the department is quite busy and I think they just may be a little behind on these sorts of things. Hope this helps! 

3 hours ago, clinamen said:

Hi! I am on the waitlist at USC and was notified via email the same day they did their acceptances. When I check the portal it still says submitted and nothing else. I can't answer your question about the possibility of an invisible waitlist but when I spoke with who I assume to be the DGS today he mentioned that things have been quite hectic over there. I also happen to know that they are hiring right now and are in the process of job talks so the department is quite busy and I think they just may be a little behind on these sorts of things. Hope this helps! 

This definitely helps and explains things; thank you so much! 

19 minutes ago, roycedoyce said:

So what kind of results are we expecting this week? I'm still waiting on UC Riverside and UCSB...

I’m still waiting on Riverside too! Also, does anyone think that the University of Washington might post this week?

35 minutes ago, roycedoyce said:

So what kind of results are we expecting this week? I'm still waiting on UC Riverside and UCSB...

I'm also still waiting on UCSB. Also waiting on a couple others. Hmmm...I'm expecting a UCSB rejection.

3 hours ago, roycedoyce said:

I think that UW will notify soon too - considering that in past years they notified on 3/1 or 3/2

I’m hoping for some UW news this week as well!! It definitely looks like in the past they have made their funded offers on the 1st and 2nd. I did my undergrad in the PNW so I’d love to get back there ??