IU does not give anyone a full ride - the only assistance is in the form of ta positions and small scholarships. But at 25k out of state tuition + the cost of living in Bloomington even at sticker it’s not nearly as bad as Michigan. 

Rant/ I just feel annoyed Michigan does not seem to respect the months of hard work and uncertainty that goes into the application process. I have had no idea where I would be in August for at least a year. Asking me to continue the uncertainty for some unspecified period of time, implying if I stay in constant contact and prove how bad I want it - like some hellish bachelor episode - does not sit well with me. 

Good to know re: IU - I don't know that I'd get a TA-ship in the HCI dept. since this is a career change for me but maybe in a different department where I could use my undergrad knowledge. Kind of was hoping for that at Michigan but none of their available GAships have been in my field so that hope is dying. 

But I totally understand how you're feeling. I mean, there's also the fact that other institutions have the April 15 decision date that they don't have. What are you supposed to do? Email daily and hope that they give you some aid within the next 3 weeks so that you can make a decision? The power balance here is tilted in their favor especially with providing the funding so late in the game. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, woggie said:

Hi Everyone, so I still haven't heard from UMSI. Who is in the same situation? I don't know if I am the only one? This feels very weird!!

Did you check the apply web portal? Sometimes they don't send an email when your application is updated. 

20 hours ago, woggie said:

Hi Everyone, so I still haven't heard from UMSI. Who is in the same situation? I don't know if I am the only one? This feels very weird!!

Same here. So anxious... :(

7 hours ago, woggie said:

Hi are you also HCI? Do you have any feedback from them?

Yeah I applied for HCI track, too. I haven't received any feedback yet. I emailed them twice, but they kept telling me to be patient.

Someone in the fb group received this reply 3 days back:

// We appreciate your patience as we know you must be anxious to get a decision. This year, we received a marked increase in applications over last year's total, and this has meant longer wait times for decisions, for which we apologize. You should hear back from us within the next week or so. //

It seems like their admissions has been a real s-show this year. I asked them about next rounds of funding and they told me second round is in late April or May - weeks after other schools have deadlines. 

If you are accepted expect to be billed for the entire 90k+

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I applied in January as well! Wow ok I'm glad I'm not the only one. Here's my saga 

Apply January deadline but didn't receive notification that my application was complete. Sent email and admissions counselor deeply apologized and said they were on it. Called a couple weeks later and they said alot of ppl applied and they were having problems with the load but told me to be patient. 

Didn't receive notification that app was complete till April 5th. Checked website which said 4-8 weeks after applications complete so decided that this was my "official" application submission hah

June 5th no response, I email about my situation and they replied saying admission counselor is out of the country but that I should reach back out if I don't hear anything by the end of (this) week. She's supposed to have returned. 

I don't even know anymore ha I feel like if they wanted to reject me they would've by now. Maybe I'm a border case? I'll let ya'll know once I get an answer 

• 7 months later...

I figured I'd give this thread a bump.

Has anyone applied for Fall 2019? I applied on the priority deadline for the MSI with a concentration in archiving and preservation. I'm really hoping that I'll get accepted and get some good funding! But I'm pretty nervous because this is a new field I'm trying to break into (I studied behavioral science in undergrad).

I've been reading through old posts, but it's hard to gauge the stats of the applicants who got partial or full funding. It seems like the program is pretty open to accepting applicants with different backgrounds, though, which is good!

On 2/9/2019 at 7:28 AM, Moonbeam said:

Cool! Is your undergraduate background also in HCI? My background is in a non-information field, so I hope that doesn't ruin my chances for admission/scholarships.

No. My undergraduate background is actually social science. I don't have many design experiences either. We're on the same page.

Edited by Conviction

It's been nearly 6 weeks now since the priority deadline, so I'm optimistically hoping they'll start sending out decisions this week. The wait is killing me! ?

Did anyone ever receive an email saying their application was "processed?" I got an email on 1/15 saying my application was complete, but I never got one saying it was processed.