I'm wanting to apply to masters programs this year, but I'm scared that I won't get in anywhere because of my low grades. My cumulative will be 3.3 (last 60 hour is about the same, maybe .05 higher) when I apply. However, my major gpa (SLP) is 4.0 (is that going to help me at all?). I'm volunteering at 2 different settings and shadowing in a school setting. I've been trying to get in on research, but can't find anything so far. I think after the spring I'll have better luck. Additionally, I think I can score at least, if not higher than average on the GRE. I know gpa isn't everything,  but I feel like it's the biggest component for most schools so I'm really stressing out about that. 

Do I have a chance? Especially if I'm planning on applying to at least 10 schools (most people i've talked to aren't applying to that many)? Has anyone gotten in with a similar gpa? If so, where? Is there anything else I can do to boost my chances? I can't really afford to do post bacc because I'm almost at my limit for paying in state tuition.

47 minutes ago, slp2121 said:

I'm wanting to apply to masters programs this year, but I'm scared that I won't get in anywhere because of my low grades. My cumulative will be 3.3 (last 60 hour is about the same, maybe .05 higher) when I apply. However, my major gpa (SLP) is 4.0 (is that going to help me at all?). I'm volunteering at 2 different settings and shadowing in a school setting. I've been trying to get in on research, but can't find anything so far. I think after the spring I'll have better luck. Additionally, I think I can score at least, if not higher than average on the GRE. I know gpa isn't everything,  but I feel like it's the biggest component for most schools so I'm really stressing out about that. 

Do I have a chance? Especially if I'm planning on applying to at least 10 schools (most people i've talked to aren't applying to that many)? Has anyone gotten in with a similar gpa? If so, where? Is there anything else I can do to boost my chances? I can't really afford to do post bacc because I'm almost at my limit for paying in state tuition.

I think you have a great chance!  My under grad GPA (not in speech) was about a 3.0 since I was younger and didn't really know what I wanted to do.  I've since completed a post bacc with a 3.91 GPA and have received several interviews and one acceptance so far.  I think schools definitely look at your CSD GPA along with what you do with your time outside of school (working in the field, volunteering, etc).  You definitely have a great shot! I'd also like to add that I had average GRE scores but have been volunteering in the field since June. 

I have a good GPA so maybe my advice is bullshit, but I think as long as you do your research on schools that look at the whole person (not just GPA), have extracurriculars in the field/related to the field, and work hard on your SOPs, you have a shot. Additionally, don't be discouraged if you don't get in the first time. Sometimes building up your extracurriculars with job experience can be the thing that really helps you seem like a well-rounded applicant. :)

My friend is currently applying with similar stats to you, GPA-wise, and I believe has pretty average GRE scores. I'll let you know how she does, maybe it'll help you find schools to apply to!

I think you have a great chance! If you really want it, go for it! I agree with snoves, apply to schools that look at applicants holistically. Continue volunteering and shadowing, try getting a part time job like an ABA therapist or instructional aide. Start working on your SOP early, get letters of rec from professors/supervisors who know you well, and study hard for the GRE!! 

I have a really low overall GPA (under 3.0) and an OK last 60 units (3.5). I took the GRE twice, both scores were barely average. However, I have unique volunteer experiences and worked as an ABA therapist for over a year. I was confident that the people writing my letters of recommendation wrote me amazing letters because of the relationships I created with them. I applied to 10 schools and so far interviewed for 3! I know they’re no acceptances, but the fact that they are considering me is a huge accomplishment for me! I was very close to not applying this cycle because I was so discouraged by my stats, but it is my dream to be a SLP so I decided to go for it. If this is what you want then work hard on your applications and show schools your passion! 

It would be nice to know that there are schools that consider an applicant as a whole and not just a GRE or GPA. I have similar stats and work in the field as an SLP assistant. I hope there is a spot in a program for applicants like us!!! Good Luck!

11 hours ago, Ggslpa said:

It would be nice to know that there are schools that consider an applicant as a whole and not just a GRE or GPA. I have similar stats and work in the field as an SLP assistant. I hope there is a spot in a program for applicants like us!!! Good Luck!

After going through this application round, I do think that there are many schools that consider applicants as a whole.  While I have a good GPA in the major, I do not have a great undergrad GPA, nor do I have above average GRE scores.  I have still been called for several interviews and received a few acceptances! I would just recommend doing your research on the schools and seeing the stats of the applicants they accept on the ASHA website.  It seems like many schools do put an emphasis on experience whether that be a job or volunteering.  Good luck! 

Just remember GPA and GRE scores are not the end all be all for your application. I got waitlisted at my top choice and saw they rejected someone who had a verbal GRE score 20 points higher than mine and a GPA that was higher than mine too. Hopefully you placed emphasis on your volunteering and shadowing experiences on your resume and in your personal statement. Good luck!

1 hour ago, WesttoEast18 said:

After going through this application round, I do think that there are many schools that consider applicants as a whole.  While I have a good GPA in the major, I do not have a great undergrad GPA, nor do I have above average GRE scores.  I have still been called for several interviews and received a few acceptances! I would just recommend doing your research on the schools and seeing the stats of the applicants they accept on the ASHA website.  It seems like many schools do put an emphasis on experience whether that be a job or volunteering.  Good luck! 

Thank you. I'm glad to hear you have received acceptances. It gives me hope not to give up!

1 hour ago, Ggslpa said:

Thank you. I'm glad to hear you have received acceptances. It gives me hope not to give up!

Definitely don't give up!  Reading these forums can be discouraging but you just have to have faith in yourself and let your passion for the field shine.  I really do think many schools place emphasis on experience.  Good luck! 

1 hour ago, WesttoEast18 said:

Definitely don't give up!  Reading these forums can be discouraging but you just have to have faith in yourself and let your passion for the field shine.  I really do think many schools place emphasis on experience.  Good luck! 

When I was applying and reading the discussions on here, I felt very discouraged when people who say they had 4.0 GPA's and high GRE scores because I was a pretty average candidate based on those numbers. But I got accepted somewhere and got an interview (still waiting to here back)! 

It's def a numbers game when you apply. And I think the schools that took a look at me was because of my volunteering and good letters of rec. 

On 2/26/2018 at 4:54 PM, slp2121 said:I'm wanting to apply to masters programs this year, but I'm scared that I won't get in anywhere because of my low grades. My cumulative will be 3.3 (last 60 hour is about the same, maybe .05 higher) when I apply. However, my major gpa (SLP) is 4.0 (is that going to help me at all?). I'm volunteering at 2 different settings and shadowing in a school setting. I've been trying to get in on research, but can't find anything so far. I think after the spring I'll have better luck. Additionally, I think I can score at least, if not higher than average on the GRE. I know gpa isn't everything,  but I feel like it's the biggest component for most schools so I'm really stressing out about that. Do I have a chance? Especially if I'm planning on applying to at least 10 schools (most people i've talked to aren't applying to that many)? Has anyone gotten in with a similar gpa? If so, where? Is there anything else I can do to boost my chances? I can't really afford to do post bacc because I'm almost at my limit for paying in state tuition.

Hi! I’m a CA applicant. I had a 3.36 overall on CSDCAS  because of some decade-old courses that I failed to drop. My major GPA was in the 3.7 range and my last 60 was 3.8. GRE was nothing fantastic, quant below 150.  I was worried about my GPA from the beginning, so I made sure to jam in the leadership and managed a ton of excellent professor reccs. I made up for my scores with volunteer experience and an excellent statement.  I got into two schools so far with those stats. Some schools only look at your major GPA, some look at the overall, some look at last 60. If not clearly stated by the school, give the department a call to ask which ones they look at or ask about specific schools on here. ASHA ed find is also a very good tool for finding schools in your range for GPA and GRE, but again, confirm which GPA they are reporting. Fingers crossed for you!  PM if you have any questions. 

On 3/6/2018 at 11:37 AM, soontobeslp2018 said:

Just remember GPA and GRE scores are not the end all be all for your application. I got waitlisted at my top choice and saw they rejected someone who had a verbal GRE score 20 points higher than mine and a GPA that was higher than mine too. Hopefully you placed emphasis on your volunteering and shadowing experiences on your resume and in your personal statement. Good luck!

Curious as I am some with bad scores/GPA what school was this?

On 2/27/2018 at 2:27 AM, GeeLee said:

I think you have a great chance! If you really want it, go for it! I agree with snoves, apply to schools that look at applicants holistically. Continue volunteering and shadowing, try getting a part time job like an ABA therapist or instructional aide. Start working on your SOP early, get letters of rec from professors/supervisors who know you well, and study hard for the GRE!! 

I have a really low overall GPA (under 3.0) and an OK last 60 units (3.5). I took the GRE twice, both scores were barely average. However, I have unique volunteer experiences and worked as an ABA therapist for over a year. I was confident that the people writing my letters of recommendation wrote me amazing letters because of the relationships I created with them. I applied to 10 schools and so far interviewed for 3! I know they’re no acceptances, but the fact that they are considering me is a huge accomplishment for me! I was very close to not applying this cycle because I was so discouraged by my stats, but it is my dream to be a SLP so I decided to go for it. If this is what you want then work hard on your applications and show schools your passion! 

So happy for you!!! what school did you interview at?

2 hours ago, hopefulSLP2be7 said:

So happy for you!!! what school did you interview at?

Thank you!! I interviewed at Pacific university in Oregon (rejected ?) and West Texas A&M (waitlisted). I also interviewed with Biola University but I am still waiting to hear from them! 

Hi there! Another average student here. I decided to apply this year just so that I wouldn’t regret not trying (I graduate in May) and I actually got into a program!! I still can’t believe it and don’t even believe I deserve it. But anyways, my overall GPA is a 3.56 and my CSD GPA is only a 3.3. My GRE scores were also not super impressive (145V 151Q and 4.0W). 

I was accepted to Pacific University in Oregon because of my interview. They believe that your numbers don’t say anything about your potential for being an SLP or about you as a person. 

My experience isn’t super crazy either. I have volunteer experience in a rehab facility for a summer (5 years ago) where I translated for the SLPs because they did not speak Spanish, I spent a lot of time involved in the deaf community and pretty fluent in ASL, and I now currently work as a Respite Worker with children with developmental disabilities, mostly autism and Down syndrome and through my job I get to observe their therapies and implement the strategies during play. 

HOWEVER, what Pacific also saw in me was that I come from low income communities, first to go to college, and from a single parent household where I am the oldest and have had to carry that extra load of responsibilities from a very young age and that it has also been a challenge to my studies. 

Most schools will not see all of that, they will see my numbers and 300words about why they should pick me. Idk what your story is, but if apply strategically you will find those schools that look at you, your experience, and your passion, you will just have to be willing to pay a little more or live very far lol. But you can do it!! If I did it you can too ?

PS: I used a book called “Graduate Admissions Essays” to help me write my personal statement, I recommend ✔️✔️

Edited by andreadls22

10 hours ago, GeeLee said:

Thank you!! I interviewed at Pacific university in Oregon (rejected ?) and West Texas A&M (waitlisted). I also interviewed with Biola University but I am still waiting to hear from them! 

COngrats! Lots of people get off waitlist!

On 3/10/2018 at 2:13 AM, andreadls22 said:

Hi there! Another average student here. I decided to apply this year just so that I wouldn’t regret not trying (I graduate in May) and I actually got into a program!! I still can’t believe it and don’t even believe I deserve it. But anyways, my overall GPA is a 3.56 and my CSD GPA is only a 3.3. My GRE scores were also not super impressive (145V 151Q and 4.0W). 

I was accepted to Pacific University in Oregon because of my interview. They believe that your numbers don’t say anything about your potential for being an SLP or about you as a person. 

My experience isn’t super crazy either. I have volunteer experience in a rehab facility for a summer (5 years ago) where I translated for the SLPs because they did not speak Spanish, I spent a lot of time involved in the deaf community and pretty fluent in ASL, and I now currently work as a Respite Worker with children with developmental disabilities, mostly autism and Down syndrome and through my job I get to observe their therapies and implement the strategies during play. 

HOWEVER, what Pacific also saw in me was that I come from low income communities, first to go to college, and from a single parent household where I am the oldest and have had to carry that extra load of responsibilities from a very young age and that it has also been a challenge to my studies. 

Most schools will not see all of that, they will see my numbers and 300words about why they should pick me. Idk what your story is, but if apply strategically you will find those schools that look at you, your experience, and your passion, you will just have to be willing to pay a little more or live very far lol. But you can do it!! If I did it you can too ?

PS: I used a book called “Graduate Admissions Essays” to help me write my personal statement, I recommend ✔️✔️

congrats on being accepted! i love to hear stories such as this!

I can personally say getting to graduate schools with a lower GPA is not impossible. I have a lower undergrad GPA (lower than 3.0) BUT I was accepted into graduate school this year. I found at age 24 that I had an undiagnosed learning disability which is why I have a lower GPA. I choose to go back to school and retake all of my CSD classes with the appropriate accommodations (even the ones I got Bs in). This raised my post-bach GPA to 3.98 and my last 60 credit GPA to 3.6. I also have experience working as an SLP-A for the past five years. I was accepted at Pacific U in Forest Grove, OR. They truly look at applicants holistically rather than just numbers on paper. If anyone tells you that it is impossible, ignore them! Because I am proof that it can happen if you work hard enough!