Do people actually get off waitlists?

I was waitlisted and subsequently accepted from both of the schools I applied to back in the day. 

I sent the author of the waitlist email a thank you and a few reasons why their school was a great match for me, with specifics. I feel like it made a difference. It at least did not hurt! 

That's been a major question of mine. I'm currently waitlisted at 4 schools...all of which I would be honored to get an acceptance from. I don't want to annoy those schools or set them off in anyway but I do want them to know that I am highly interested. What is the best way to go about that?

7 hours ago, SLPhopeful56 said:

That's been a major question of mine. I'm currently waitlisted at 4 schools...all of which I would be honored to get an acceptance from. I don't want to annoy those schools or set them off in anyway but I do want them to know that I am highly interested. What is the best way to go about that?

I don't think it will annoy them! I sent my top choice that wait listed me an e-mail confirming my interest and reasons why I thought they were the best fit for me. I also thanked them for considering me. It doesn't have to be a long e-mail at all. They responded very quickly with a kind e-mail about the wait list and thanked me for my e-mail. I think it is a good idea :) 

1 hour ago, Felice said:

I don't think it will annoy them! I sent my top choice that wait listed me an e-mail confirming my interest and reasons why I thought they were the best fit for me. I also thanked them for considering me. It doesn't have to be a long e-mail at all. They responded very quickly with a kind e-mail about the wait list and thanked me for my e-mail. I think it is a good idea :) 

Awesome! Thanks for the advice! :)

I just got off the waitlist at TWU! It is possible everyone! And I definitely emailed all of my waitlisted schools basically just asking for more info about it and confirming that I was still interested. The least they can do is tell you sorry no we can't give you more info until after April 15th. 

11 minutes ago, HooHooHooHoosiers said:

I just got off the waitlist at TWU! It is possible everyone! And I definitely emailed all of my waitlisted schools basically just asking for more info about it and confirming that I was still interested. The least they can do is tell you sorry no we can't give you more info until after April 15th. 

Congratulations! 

5 minutes ago, hellooo said:

Does anyone know if schools notify you when all spots are taken and if you've been officially rejected so you can stop hoping?

They definitely should. I’d say if you haven’t heard anything by the end of April or early May then reach out to them and ask about your application status 

3 hours ago, hellooo said:

Does anyone know if schools notify you when all spots are taken and if you've been officially rejected so you can stop hoping?

Most of the schools will say how long their waitlist is "open" for. University of Montana told me they would inform me once they have their class finalized and they close the waitlist, but other schools I have been waitlisted at say on their school page that the waitlist stays open until the first day of term, but that if we haven't heard back by end of May then we probably won't. I am basically going to give schools until the end of May and if I haven't heard back assume that I won't.

11 minutes ago, helenaaa said:

Currently waitlisted by four schools that don't rank. Should I assume rejection if i don't hear back by the beginning of May? 

Call and ask when's the latest you'd hear back. Some waitlists are rolling until the first week of class, and some end in June. 

I just got off of the waitlist at LSUHSC-NO! Ahhh! Freaking out bc this is my #1 choice but now also torn bc I have an acceptance to Southeastern & they have opportunities to go for free (grad asst.) vs. loans at LSUHSC. LSUHSC also starts in a month & I live in California currently!! Oi... big decision to make.. can anyone shed some insight? 

I was waitlisted at my dream school, and the director of the program told me I was #9, and since the program was pretty small, I didn't think I had a chance of getting in. I flew from IL to TX for my spring break to visit, and I got an email a few days later saying my willingness to travel showed my dedication to the program, and I was accepted! It is definitely worthwhile to show your interest in a program if you are on the waitlist!

3 hours ago, cblars said:

I was waitlisted at my dream school, and the director of the program told me I was #9, and since the program was pretty small, I didn't think I had a chance of getting in. I flew from IL to TX for my spring break to visit, and I got an email a few days later saying my willingness to travel showed my dedication to the program, and I was accepted! It is definitely worthwhile to show your interest in a program if you are on the waitlist!

Awesome, congratulations!!

On 4/2/2018 at 4:39 PM, TurboDog15 said:

I just got off of the waitlist at LSUHSC-NO! Ahhh! Freaking out bc this is my #1 choice but now also torn bc I have an acceptance to Southeastern & they have opportunities to go for free (grad asst.) vs. loans at LSUHSC. LSUHSC also starts in a month & I live in California currently!! Oi... big decision to make.. can anyone shed some insight? 

Sounds like Southeastern is the smarter choice. Opportunities to go for free is HUGE and the fact that you may have to rush for the other school seems very stressful and it would be more expensive! Good luck with your decision! 

So, April 15 is coming up and it doesn't seem like I'll be getting off of the waitlist for some of the schools that I want to get into. I'm about to accept an offer super far away from home (in Texas); is there a way to accept the offer and not put in the deposit to a little while until I completely hear back from the waiting list from my top school? Or is it not worth the wait at this point?? 

50 minutes ago, IndigoSky said:

So, April 15 is coming up and it doesn't seem like I'll be getting off of the waitlist for some of the schools that I want to get into. I'm about to accept an offer super far away from home (in Texas); is there a way to accept the offer and not put in the deposit to a little while until I completely hear back from the waiting list from my top school? Or is it not worth the wait at this point?? 

There's a thread about this on the main SLP page. You can totally put down a deposit and rescind, you'll just lose your deposit. You can call your dream school and ask when the latest is you would hear back.

On 3/27/2018 at 10:51 AM, baileyp said:

Yes that makes sense! 

I started working as an SLPA right out of my undergrad and it was the best decision for me. Not only did it give me 3+ years of experience, but it reaffirmed that I wanted to go into the speech-language pathology field. It has also been nice to have a break from school and do things that I would not have been able to do if I had gone straight into grad school. My advice when looking into SLPA jobs is going onto school district's websites or looking at early intervention centers near you.

Good luck with everything!! 

do you have any help with finding them in pa and nj i'm struggling