Do people actually get off waitlists?

I've heard back from 3 schools so far and am on the waitlist for all of them. The wait is killing me! I'm ranked 11 on one (do I stand a chance??), another told me I'm 'fairly low,' and the last doesn't rank their list. I just wanna know!!! The comments on this thread have given me *some* hope :unsure: good luck everyone! 

5 minutes ago, 2018slp said:

Does anyone know how many students George Washington University waitlists?

I have no idea but judging from the results page and knowing how expensive their tuition is, I would assume a fair amount. I am most likely going to decline my spot at George Washington once I hear back from all of my schools, so hopefully that helps someone! :) 

1 hour ago, hopefulSLP2be7 said:

So far I am waitlisted at four and praying to get off of one of them as i do not have any acceptances. Is anyone else waitlisted at radford, loyola, st. mary's, or longwood?

I'm on the Radford waitlist too. Have you contacted them since?

43 minutes ago, HooHooHooHoosiers said:

I started this thread and just got off a waitlist today!!!!!! I am freaking out...never thought this day would come for me! Good luck everyone, it IS possible! :D

Congratulations!!! You give me hope :)
Where did you get accepted to?

Maryville University! I haven't heard back from any of the other waitlists though, so I'm not sure how things will end up but I am beyond relieved. I have been working in the field (ABA then SLPA) since undergrad and retook a few classes online (got a C in anatomy the first time around eek). Never give up if this is truly what you want!!

Another queen of waitlists here, currently on 6! (was on 7 but took my name off of one) I'm hoping to hear some good news from one of them before April 15 as all of these schools I'm waitlisted at are closer to me than the one school I've been accepted at so far. Also still have not heard from my number 1 pick so I'm hoping for some good news before the 15th!

2 hours ago, HooHooHooHoosiers said:

Maryville University! I haven't heard back from any of the other waitlists though, so I'm not sure how things will end up but I am beyond relieved. I have been working in the field (ABA then SLPA) since undergrad and retook a few classes online (got a C in anatomy the first time around eek). Never give up if this is truly what you want!!

Congrats that's awesome!

I feel weird even posting this, because I might be jinxing myself, but I'm #2 at a very popular program (and my top choice).

I've only gotten into one school, and it'll cost $80-90K in loans (I applied because sometimes they have financial aid packages for former civil servants- didn't get one). I'm leaning towards turning them down and hoping on the waitlist while I search for SLPA jobs. Does this make sense? What would you do? 

2 hours ago, DDolores said:

I feel weird even posting this, because I might be jinxing myself, but I'm #2 at a very popular program (and my top choice).

I've only gotten into one school, and it'll cost $80-90K in loans (I applied because sometimes they have financial aid packages for former civil servants- didn't get one). I'm leaning towards turning them down and hoping on the waitlist while I search for SLPA jobs. Does this make sense? What would you do? 

Yes that makes sense! 

I started working as an SLPA right out of my undergrad and it was the best decision for me. Not only did it give me 3+ years of experience, but it reaffirmed that I wanted to go into the speech-language pathology field. It has also been nice to have a break from school and do things that I would not have been able to do if I had gone straight into grad school. My advice when looking into SLPA jobs is going onto school district's websites or looking at early intervention centers near you.

Good luck with everything!! 

On 3/26/2018 at 1:53 PM, HooHooHooHoosiers said:

I started this thread and just got off a waitlist today!!!!!! I am freaking out...never thought this day would come for me! Good luck everyone, it IS possible! 

Oh my gosh that's so exciting!! Congratulations :)

On 3/26/2018 at 10:43 AM, TurboDog15 said:

Has anyone gotten acceptances yet via a waitlist? I feel like it’ll come sooon as April 15 approaches... getting so anxious! 

Do you know if people generally find out before April 15 or usually after?

2 hours ago, jnbfutureslp said:

Do you know if people generally find out before April 15 or usually after?

I think it varies by school! The one school that I'm on the waitlist for starts in May & their accept/decline is this week, so I'm hoping it's before April 15th!! But I'm sure many schools that start in August could be any time, really!