Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

2 hours ago, dancedementia said:

Hey folks! Has anyone applied "early decision" at any of your schools? I did it at Antioch and William James and am wondering how that changes how they evaluate your application.  

I’m assuming it just means your applicant pool is smaller than compared to the regular deadline, so maybe your app is being compared to less people? 

Hi, all! Super late to the game and definitely should be working on my actual applications right now instead of posting here but... ?‍♀️ Ya'll are intimidating with all of your great applications! I am currently applying for clinical PhD programs (with the exceptions of one general psychology PhD program and one clinical PsyD program - both have PIs who fit my interests pretty well, though), with a focus on child trauma/maltreatment/early adversity.

Applying to: BU, Emory, Harvard, LSU, UC Berkley, UCF, Hartford, UMASS Boston, Memphis, UMKC, Chapel Hill, UNCG, Notre Dame, UPenn, Knoxville, UT Austin, and Vanderbilt (phew - what a list!)

As for my experiences... I'm currently in a clinical master's program (with a 4.0) and have decent undergraduate GPAs (3.88 overall, and 4.0s for both of my majors). I have 2 years of full-time post-bacc research experience at a prestigious university, an additional year of per diem work for that same lab, and currently am involved in three research labs within my MA program. I have one peer-reviewed pub (though I am only 5th author on it), am currently writing a book chapter for a text book, have 8 manuscripts in various stages (some are under review, while others are still in the baby stages), and 20+ conference posters/paper presentations. I am also currently working at four different psychological clinics and have some teaching experience (as a GA, TA, and adjunct). 

I'm a little worried about GRE cut offs and algorithms keeping my application from getting into the right hands (a little above average with 159V, 154Q, and 4.5W), but have reached out to most of my POIs and have had generally positive and encouraging responses. Fingers crossed!

Side note - this is my second application season! I applied to 6 clinical PhD programs in 2016 and was rejected across the board. Hopefully the last two years of kicking my own booty to gain research/clinical experiences and products will be worth it! 

1 hour ago, honeyrue said:

Hi, all! Super late to the game and definitely should be working on my actual applications right now instead of posting here but... ?‍♀️ Ya'll are intimidating with all of your great applications! I am currently applying for clinical PhD programs (with the exceptions of one general psychology PhD program and one clinical PsyD program - both have PIs who fit my interests pretty well, though), with a focus on child trauma/maltreatment/early adversity.

Applying to: BU, Emory, Harvard, LSU, UC Berkley, UCF, Hartford, UMASS Boston, Memphis, UMKC, Chapel Hill, UNCG, Notre Dame, UPenn, Knoxville, UT Austin, and Vanderbilt (phew - what a list!)

As for my experiences... I'm currently in a clinical master's program (with a 4.0) and have decent undergraduate GPAs (3.88 overall, and 4.0s for both of my majors). I have 2 years of full-time post-bacc research experience at a prestigious university, an additional year of per diem work for that same lab, and currently am involved in three research labs within my MA program. I have one peer-reviewed pub (though I am only 5th author on it), am currently writing a book chapter for a text book, have 8 manuscripts in various stages (some are under review, while others are still in the baby stages), and 20+ conference posters/paper presentations. I am also currently working at four different psychological clinics and have some teaching experience (as a GA, TA, and adjunct). 

I'm a little worried about GRE cut offs and algorithms keeping my application from getting into the right hands (a little above average with 159V, 154Q, and 4.5W), but have reached out to most of my POIs and have had generally positive and encouraging responses. Fingers crossed!

Side note - this is my second application season! I applied to 6 clinical PhD programs in 2016 and was rejected across the board. Hopefully the last two years of kicking my own booty to gain research/clinical experiences and products will be worth it! 

Sounds like you have a LOT of research experience. If you have half that amount of relevant clinical experience I'd be shocked if you don't get into a top prog!

On 10/4/2018 at 9:44 AM, hahowell said:

Hello! I'm applying for Social Psych PhD programs but I'm not sure if I should go for a Masters instead...

I graduated in December but I haven't done much research since. I presented at two conferences in March but I've mostly been taking a break from research. I just wanted to list my overall qualifications to see how I would fare against competing PhD applicants. I graduated in December 2017 with a B.S. in Psychology. I was suma cume laude and graduated with honors at my university, UNCG. I have five semesters of lab experience and two independent research projects (both producing statistically significant results) including my honors thesis. I presented my research at three conferences and am a member of Psy Chi. My GPA is 3.9 and my GRE scores are Verbal: 156 and Quant: 154. I'm really feeling anxious while looking at prospective PhD programs. I feel that I may be under qualified, however I know that I would like to do research in stereotypes and prejudice and would really like to gain acceptance into an Applied Psychology program. I would like to go for a PhD because I feel doing a Masters program may be redundant. Please help!!! 

Here is my list of prospective schools:

1) Loyola 

2) NYU 

3) CUNY

4) Denver University 

5) Simon Fraser 

6) VCU 

A glimpse at the competition! :) Who are you indicating as proposed mentor for DU? If you don't mind!

Well, 7 out of 10 applications are officially submitted. It would only make sense that I'm in panic mode. Would you all mind giving me feedback on my experience, I feel like any comment (positive or critique) would be super helpful. Interests: Social and I/O Psychology. Had previously been accepted to 3 I/O schools in 2017, but developed a couple autoimmune diseases that didn't get diagnosed early enough for me to find treatment before school. Took time off to find a good treatment plan. Now I'm stable, and having taken a "tester" graduate course am super motivated to go back for a PhD. Here's my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.58.

Research experience: 6 months volunteer for an federal government research lab, was then hired into a full-time paid position. Worked full-time for 1 year/8 months. First-authored a technical report using a social psych model to look at training practices in a safety-critical field (thesis size in length). Co authored on 2 APA accepted poster presentations. Co-presented at a Department of Defense conference and a agency-sponsored conference. First-author presentation to federal research division. Now I'm working full time clinical/behavioral lab for a NCI-designated cancer center looking at tobacco-cessation interventions for socioeconomically disadvantaged adults.

GRE: 162 V, 158Q, W 4.0 (taken once before and had made a 4.5 on this section)

LOR: 2 professional government researchers with PhD in IO Psych who I have strong working and personal relationships with, 1 assistant dean of grad studies + social psych professor researcher who I have a strong relationship with (have not done research with him but have taken multiple classes and have great personal relationship).

Schools/programs applied so far: Colorado State Univ - I/O Psych (reach school), Penn State Univ - IO Psych, Portland State - IO Psych, Univ of Oregon - Social/Personality, Univ of Washington - Social/Personality, Univ of Utah - Social (Health emphasis), Univ of Denver - Social

I've made connections with 5 of the 7 schools so far, and held phone calls with 2 of the POIs. My main concern is that the fact I had to forfeit my scholarship and acceptance once before is going to be a big warning sign. On the other hand, I'm hoping they realized that I understand you need to be at 100% in order to fully perform in a PhD program. HELP!!

On 11/11/2018 at 9:04 PM, loffire said:

Sounds like you have a LOT of research experience. If you have half that amount of relevant clinical experience I'd be shocked if you don't get into a top prog!

I definitely have been trying very hard to make sure my research experience was well-rounded. I have a good amount of clinical experience, as well (I am currently in a clinical psychology master's, and work in three different psychological clinics, administering diagnostic psychological, academic, and cognitive testing, diagnosing individuals as fit, and writing reports). I'm hoping that the balance of the two will be enough to impress and that you're right on the top program acceptance! 

Are you applying this season? How has it been for you??

Hi y'all!

Found this while freaking out on the internet so figured it would be a great idea to post my story as well :)

I have a bit of a unique application - 3.5 UG in engineering at an Ivy - and am applying for clinical PhD programs with a focus on forensics or PTSD/trauma. Research-wise, I worked in 3 labs over 4 years in school, with 1 first author pub, 1 third author pub, and 1 paper presentation at a conference, plus an honors thesis. Basically all of this is mathematical modelling/statistical analysis of qualitative/social science topics, which at least prepares me well for the "how" aspect of psych research. I'm taking two masters level classes online right now and doing well in them, but don't think this will factor significantly into my application. Work-wise, I've done some professional freelance writing, quantitative analysis interning for the government (_shady eyes_ lol), and have worked at a top hedge fund for the past year doing macroeconomic research and running some of their talent strategy. My GRE scores are in the top 95+% and will have strong LORs from professors I've done research with. Idk what else is relevant, but happy to answer any questions that help y'all predict my fate.

Applying to: Washington, Colorado Springs, Texas A&M, Alabama, Kentucky, USUHS, Harvard, John Jay, and Georgia. Trying not to have preferences right now since it's such a crap shoot.

9 hours ago, honeyrue said:

I definitely have been trying very hard to make sure my research experience was well-rounded. I have a good amount of clinical experience, as well (I am currently in a clinical psychology master's, and work in three different psychological clinics, administering diagnostic psychological, academic, and cognitive testing, diagnosing individuals as fit, and writing reports). I'm hoping that the balance of the two will be enough to impress and that you're right on the top program acceptance! 

Are you applying this season? How has it been for you??

Sending good vibes your way :) Just nail your SOP and you'll be metaphorical gold haha . I literally just submitted my first application. Will be submitting the rest by end of the week. I haven't been sleeping well to be honest. Just all the different blind spots I'm trying to cover floating around in the back of my head. Every school having different standards/ formats/requirements is really messing with me

9 hours ago, psychtobeme said:

A glimpse at the competition! :) Who are you indicating as proposed mentor for DU? If you don't mind!

Ooooh I'm applying to Denver to. Wait DU is the same as University of Denver right? I'm applying to their affective/social/cognitive track

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. I am planning on applying to School Psychology PhD programs next year, to enroll in 2020. I currently have a BA in Theater with a variety of work experience in multiple fields. I have some experience working as a Teacher's Aide at a daycare center, and some experience volunteering as a mentor for both a middle school and an elementary school student. My concern is that my background and education in theater won't be competitive enough as a School Psychology PhD candidate. So, I plan on spending at least a year gaining more education and experience in psychology, education, and child development. Is there any advice on what courses I should take or organizations I should try to volunteer for to get more experience and education to be a better candidate for the PhD program? Any advice is much appreciated. I noticed in a few other threads that having a back ground in research is crucial to be a good candidate for the PhD option. Any advice on how I can get research experience given my back ground? Thank you in advance. 

27 minutes ago, Sam2222 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. I am planning on applying to School Psychology PhD programs next year, to enroll in 2020. I currently have a BA in Theater with a variety of work experience in multiple fields. I have some experience working as a Teacher's Aide at a daycare center, and some experience volunteering as a mentor for both a middle school and an elementary school student. My concern is that my background and education in theater won't be competitive enough as a School Psychology PhD candidate. So, I plan on spending at least a year gaining more education and experience in psychology, education, and child development. Is there any advice on what courses I should take or organizations I should try to volunteer for to get more experience and education to be a better candidate for the PhD program? Any advice is much appreciated. I noticed in a few other threads that having a back ground in research is crucial to be a good candidate for the PhD option. Any advice on how I can get research experience given my back ground? Thank you in advance. 

Hi there! Though I am not super familiar with school psych PhD preferences in particular, I'd say definitely try to gain some research experience in the next year or two. While a paid research experience would be preferable for your quality of life, you could also reach out to professors at universities with similar interests to yours and seeing if they need any volunteer RAs. Sometimes professors will allow non-students to enter their labs if the individual is highly motivated and has academic goals for the future. For your interests specifically, maybe look into volunteering/applying at some children's research centers? Utilize your experiences as a teacher's aide and mentor to show them your strengths in working with kiddos! 

Can I add you guys to a wee chat so we can exchange SOPs? Or should we just post it on here so folks can benefit from it?

17 hours ago, gottagetthedata said:

Me too, please!

On 11/9/2018 at 10:25 PM, HowDoesThatMakeYouFeel said:

Can you add me to this google doc too, I'm in the same boat and I''m also interested in PTSD/trauma

On 11/9/2018 at 3:00 AM, aokanlawon said:

Hey ya'll,

Can I jump onto this SOP exchange too. I also have a research interest in trauma. I would be willing to exchange SOPs too.

Edited by Oluwachristabel

11 hours ago, loffire said:

Ooooh I'm applying to Denver to. Wait DU is the same as University of Denver right? I'm applying to their affective/social/cognitive track

Same! Do you mind sharing the initials of who you selected as a proposed mentor?