Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

2 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

Can the person who got a Skype interview with UPenn for clinical tell me if they happen to know if other disciplines have been reviewed and if so, when we will be hearing back? I applied for developmental. 

And would that UPenn person be so kind as to send me their POI? Thank you!

Sorry to be nosy/annoying but the person who was emailed a rejection from Dartmouth PBS (psychology and brain science) did they email you or did you reach out to them? I haven't gotten an interview email or a rejection email...I feel weird being in limbo

I've been seeing on some schools websites that all applicants will be notified for interviews by January 18th, that being said one of the current graduate students I work with said she got an interview invite the last week of January for an interview literally the next week! I know it's stressful but I don't think there's a big reason to stress too much just yet. Good luck everyone! :)

Hey guys I have a question about applying to POIs that know each other. I've received Skype interview invites from 2 POIs who work closely with each other (let's say A and B). Supervisor A mentioned Supervisor B when she was going over her projects. I didn't say in the moment, "Oh yes I'm applying to him too!", but should I email her and disclose that I am interviewing with him as well?

32 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Hey guys I have a question about applying to POIs that know each other. I've received Skype interview invites from 2 POIs who work closely with each other (let's say A and B). Supervisor A mentioned Supervisor B when she was going over her projects. I didn't say in the moment, "Oh yes I'm applying to him too!", but should I email her and disclose that I am interviewing with him as well?

I don't think it's necessary. I also don't think it'll hurt or help you either way since it's assumed that you'll be applying to people that have similar interests. Almost all the schools/POIs I've applied to have worked together/collaborated at some point. I'd say It's expected that most of the people you're applying to will know each other. I'd probably lean more towards not saying anything though as to not give the impression that you favor this other PI you're applying to (even if you don't have a preference).

39 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Congrats on your interview invites! Since it's still early in the process and you've been offered to interview with them both, I'd focus on interview preparation. PIs in similar sub-disciplines (especially those who closely collaborate) are fully aware students will likely apply to their programs and that of their colleagues. For that reason, I believe they'll assume you at the very least considered applying to their colleagues elsewhere. I've also heard it's somewhat common for some PIs to discuss overlapping applicants anyway. Regardless, I don't think it's necessary to disclose that info and agree with the poster above that it may indicate something unintentionally. 

43 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

I would assume they have access to your full application and can see who you listed as your PIs. 

Just now, Psyhopeful said:

I would assume they have access to your full application and can see who you listed as your PIs. 

Oops sorry I should've clarified, they're at different schools.. 

6 hours ago, vallaboop said:

Sorry to be nosy/annoying but the person who was emailed a rejection from Dartmouth PBS (psychology and brain science) did they email you or did you reach out to them? I haven't gotten an interview email or a rejection email...I feel weird being in limbo

I spoke to someone on the forum who mentioned they received an interview invite from dartmouth some time back. I applied there too and haven't heard anything. But seeing that it's been some time since the interview invite was sent, I think it's best we assume it's done and move on :( after a few more drinks

1 hour ago, gillis_55 said:

Oops sorry I should've clarified, they're at different schools.. 

Oh! Gotcha! I applied to three POIs at three different schools who wrote a paper together. 

Hi all! Brand new to this site... and I don't know honestly if I'm glad to have found it haha since now I'm OBSESSED. 

Anyway, I applied to 3 programs for a Pysch/Neuro PHD: U of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Baylor, and UChicago. I have already gotten invites to U of I and Baylor! YAY!!! But Chicago, to this point, is my first choice, and there's been nothing but crickets.... Has anyone heard anything?