Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

35 minutes ago, dougie said:

Apologies if this was asked already, but what are people's thoughts on agreeing to stay with grad student versus booking your own hotel room/airbnb etc? I'm a terrible sleeper so the idea of being in a stranger's place for the night isn't ideal for me, I'd rather be on my own. Would this be a disadvantage though? Better to just suck it up?

I don't have past experience with this but my intuition would be to book your own place if that'll make you feel more comfortable and allow you to sleep well. There are other opportunities to interact with grad students and it's always better to interact with them and with your POI when you're not tired and grumpy

1 hour ago, dougie said:

Apologies if this was asked already, but what are people's thoughts on agreeing to stay with grad student versus booking your own hotel room/airbnb etc? I'm a terrible sleeper so the idea of being in a stranger's place for the night isn't ideal for me, I'd rather be on my own. Would this be a disadvantage though? Better to just suck it up?

As the poster above said, you know yourself and your ability to function best! However, there are some significant benefits to staying with a graduate student.

The most advantageous is being able to chat with a current student more informally. While the conversation from the airport all the way until the end of the weekend won't be 100% about the school and program, it's a more calming environment to ask questions, hear about someone's experience, and get a small glimpse into what life is actually like there (e.g. where are grad students living? where do they get their groceries? distance from campus?).

Saving the money is also a huge plus. Interview season is relatively expensive and cutting costs by staying with a graduate student could make it possible to spring for an extra comfortable journey home. I've had grad students offer small snacks or even bagels in the morning before interviews, though I wouldn't say that's universal.

More logistically, it's nice to have a graduate student host who can direct you to where you need to go for interview and social events. Depending on the layout/location of the school, it can be overwhelming navigating transportation and "simple" things like building room locations on your own. It was significantly less stressful having someone who kept an eye out for me, let me sit in their office on a break, and was there to show me how to navigate an unfamiliar bus line. Coming onto campus from a hotel can get expensive and may be confusing unless you have very detailed instructions, which I have to admit is not always the case.

In short, I'd recommend it for the insight, the cost-cutting, and stress reduction. 

Edited by psykick
addition

53 minutes ago, dougie said:

From my past experience, opting to book a hotel may put you in a slight disadvantage. Specifically, you'll be missing a key opportunity to bond with a current student in the program. Yes, you will have opportunities to speak with students during interview day events, but the home-stay provides a more personalized opportunity to discuss your host's experience in the program.

If possible, I'd suggest trying to push yourself to do a home-stay for your top-choice programs, but request a host who can provide a private sleeping room due to your sleeping issues you described. 

Edited by JoePianist

6 hours ago, dougie said:

I feel similarly, but I am sucking it up because I think it will just cause more trouble for them and potentially make me seem difficult right from the start. The main this is that I know they go to a lot of trouble to organize everything in advance, and to have to create extra work of having someone come get you at a hotel doesn't feel good to me. Plus, as others have said, this is your chance to talk to someone about the program, and also, they are watching you to report back. If they don't get a chance to get to know you, they might not have much to say on your behalf. It might make a difference that my interview is in a very big city with bad traffic where it would really be a pain, but I think that unless you really have a serious issue, that sucking it up is the way to go. Who knows, it might not be that bad. I'm also hoping for something more than a couch, but I will take what I can get.

18 hours ago, dougie said:

I say book the room/airbnb and get a good night sleep. I had an interview I had the option to sleep on the couch of a student, or sleep in a nice airbnb and do my own routine. I stayed at the airbnb and felt so refreshed the next day, instead of worried and unrested. I was accepted.

Take care of yourself, and good luck!

5 hours ago, PsychGal said:

To the person who posted about a clinical psych interview invite for Notre Dame, could you please DM your POI? Also was it a mass email or personal from POI? 

Same here. Was it a mass email? Also if you could DM your POI

7 hours ago, PsychGal said:

To the person who posted about a clinical psych interview invite for Notre Dame, could you please DM your POI? Also was it a mass email or personal from POI? Thanks! 

Same here! I am very interested in that program so - if the individual is here, please shoot me a DM with our POI!! And congrats!

On 12/26/2018 at 12:30 PM, mwood126 said:

Not sure if this is what you’re referring to, but it is useful for seeing confirmed interview dates!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hJFI7od93wXNHfLiUl0pv4lPUsueRmVg_6N85xgFQd8/htmlview

There's also this that the CUDCP puts together, though it doesn't have every school on it! https://teamup.com/ks952632ef38687f3e

On 12/29/2018 at 2:43 PM, dougie said:

I have heard the current graduate students at my lab talk about how they like to use the time to get to know the interviewees a little bit better, and form a stronger opinion. If you happen to hit it off with a grad student during the home stay, it can put you at an advantage. Opting out of a home stay is almost like giving up an interview. While it is stressful to have to be "on" the whole time, the increased face time allows you to make a better impression and get valuable insight into the program. My lab PI places a huge emphasis on feedback from her graduate students when discussing prospective students after interview weekends, so I would agree with what some other posters said and try and suck it up if you can.  On the other hand, you know yourself best, and if you feel you may be irritable and not refreshed, you might rub your host the wrong way, and that could hurt your chances. Good luck on whatever you decide!

I saw two posts on the results page that interview invites were sent out on Friday for Dartmouth Psychological and Brain Sciences program. Does anyone know which area of interest sent out invites? Or was it the whole department?

8 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

I just submitted my last app! It was for a linguistics program haha, but at least I'm now finally done like all of you guys.

It actually feels really nice to be done! Congrats ?

QUESTION IM STRESSING: if someone asks to reach you to schedule a virtual/phone interview, is that first phone call just to schedule or is it the interview? I need to prepare for this interview and don't want to go into a phone call i think is just for scheduling to be asking me questions already and being the actual interview.

36 minutes ago, davidfreire20 said:

QUESTION IM STRESSING: if someone asks to reach you to schedule a virtual/phone interview, is that first phone call just to schedule or is it the interview? I need to prepare for this interview and don't want to go into a phone call i think is just for scheduling to be asking me questions already and being the actual interview.

Its impossible to say without knowing the POI or how it was worded, but I'd recommend going in expecting the interview, so schedule a time where you are prepared and ready. It never hurts to be over prepared. 

11 hours ago, davidfreire20 said:

Not to stress you further, but I got a phone call inviting me to an interview weekend that turned into an interview that I as totally unprepared for. It turned out fine, my invite wasn’t rescinded or anything. I would just try to at least look over your application if you don’t have much time before the call. Since it’s to set up the interview I doubt they will expect you to be ready to interview then. You can always make it clear your time is limited, and try to keep it on track for scheduling.

11 hours ago, davidfreire20 said:

FOR SURE go into it as if it were a first round interview (prep for it and have questions ready!). This is pretty normal.

I swore I wouldn't make an account here, but here I am.

Would anybody be so kind as to share with me if you have  (or haven't!) received an invite for any of the following Clinical Psych PhD programs? And PoI initials if you have!

Thank you thank you thank you

-UPenn

-Columbia

-Fordham

-Stony Brook

-Rutgers

-Duke

-USC

Thanks! #nerves

Does anyone have examples of what you've responded/what you would respond when asked in an interview with a POI why you, personally, are the best candidate for the position?

This obviously varies a lot person-to-person, but I feel like by the time people reach interviews, the traits/experiences I have going for me will be pretty comparable to others', so I'm struggling to think of what I should use to differentiate myself.

48 minutes ago, ihatedis said:

I swore I wouldn't make an account here, but here I am.

Would anybody be so kind as to share with me if you have  (or haven't!) received an invite for any of the following Clinical Psych PhD programs? And PoI initials if you have!

Thank you thank you thank you

-UPenn

-Columbia

-Fordham

-Stony Brook

-Rutgers

-Duke

-USC

Thanks! #nerves

Hi! I'm applying for Developmental, not Clinical, but I haven't heard anything from Duke or UPenn yet.