Jump to content
dancedementia

Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, TrustingTheProcess said:

I heard back from three schools prior to Christmas and then radio silence for the last ten days or so, I know it's been the holidays, but I can't help stressing and feeling like I should have heard back ?

I only heard from one before Christmas and then nothing from the rest. No one is mentioning them in the results either, even though in the past at least one sent out invites in December. It’s so annoying. I just want to know what’s happening, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TrustingTheProcess said:

I heard back from three schools prior to Christmas and then radio silence for the last ten days or so, I know it's been the holidays, but I can't help stressing and feeling like I should have heard back ?

Same! The first PI contacted me ONE business day after I applied and set the bar unrealistically high. I'm dying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

I only heard from one before Christmas and then nothing from the rest. No one is mentioning them in the results either, even though in the past at least one sent out invites in December. It’s so annoying. I just want to know what’s happening, lol. 

Same here ? 9 applications and only heard from 1. Although it looks like 2 other programs have started reaching out ? Trying to stay positive! I’m very excited to have an interview (and prepping for this one has made me even more excited about the prospects!) but I also want to feel like I have options!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2018 at 3:18 PM, Oluwachristabel said:

Same here. Was it a mass email? Also if you could DM your POI

 

 

On 12/30/2018 at 10:05 AM, PsychGal said:

To the person who posted about a clinical psych interview invite for Notre Dame, could you please DM your POI? Also was it a mass email or personal from POI? Thanks! 

I would also appreciate a DM of the POI. Did anyone hear back from the poster whether it was a mass email or personal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone that applied to IO PhD programs heard back anything yet? I'm dying here :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, londonbnd said:

Anyone that applied to IO PhD programs heard back anything yet? I'm dying here :( 

I applied to I/O programs and also have not heard anything back yet... anxiety is real!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Historically, the first full week after the new year has been one of the most popular weeks for clinical psych programs to begin reaching out to applicants. That is next week, January 7-11, so don't lose faith yet! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to everyone who got an interview from Nebraska! I was wondering if anyone (maybe from previous years) knows what the situation is with Nebraska if you did not get the rejection email (which was sent a couple days ago) but have also not received an interview email?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gofer1996 said:

Congrats to everyone who got an interview from Nebraska! I was wondering if anyone (maybe from previous years) knows what the situation is with Nebraska if you did not get the rejection email (which was sent a couple days ago) but have also not received an interview email?

 

Did you check spam? If it's not there, maybe wait till Monday then email the department admin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is it considered poor form to contact POI or grad admission department to check on your application status if you haven't heard from them? I'm wondering if my application got missed somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, pgt2018 said:

is it considered poor form to contact POI or grad admission department to check on your application status if you haven't heard from them? I'm wondering if my application got missed somehow.

Personally, I would not do this. It’s early, school hasn’t even started back up yet.  Unless you know that rejections have already gone out for the program I would just wait. Some people are understanding, but others might be annoyed. Especially if they are deep in a pile of applications. Is there a way you can check your status on their website, or ApplyWeb? I would do that to make sure it submitted, if you’re saying you never got a confirmation that your application was submitted. Check to see that the payment went through, but I wouldn’t contact your POI. If you must, contact the grad admissions office, but I would still wait until the end of next week when everyone has been back for a full week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got my first interview invite! The recruitment weekend for the University of Toronto experimental psychology PhD program (not OISE clinical/counselling) is January 24th & 25th. Felt like this fits better in this thread rather than the Canadian Clinical Psych thread, as my area of interest is not clinical. 

SO excited!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gofer1996 said:

Congrats to everyone who got an interview from Nebraska! I was wondering if anyone (maybe from previous years) knows what the situation is with Nebraska if you did not get the rejection email (which was sent a couple days ago) but have also not received an interview email?

 

Your POI may have just not sent anything to you just yet, or they may wait-list you for an interview (UNL has done this in the past). I would give it at least until next Thursday to hear something, and then contact the admissions coordinator on Friday if you haven't heard back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pgt2018 said:

is it considered poor form to contact POI or grad admission department to check on your application status if you haven't heard from them? I'm wondering if my application got missed somehow.

I agree with @Psyhopeful, I would not do this. If you applied for clinical programs, it is still pretty early. Next week will be a very popular week for programs to reach out to applicants. And a lot of interviews take place mid-February so some programs may not even begin to contact applicants until after next week. It is unlikely that your application was missed as admissions committees tend to be well-oiled machines. I think emailing anyone involved in the admissions process, especially a POI, would not make you look very good. Even if you applied to a non-clinical psychology PhD program, I would say it is still pretty early and to just try to be patient. If it is a program that you know has already sent out interview invites then just keep in mind that it is not unheard of for programs to send rejections weeks or even months later... Many programs won't send rejections, even to people they did not invite to interview, until after their interview day(s) in case they need to dip back into the applicant pool for some reason. Last year I received a rejection by mail from a program I did not interview with in JUNE! Again, just be patient and remember many of us are experiencing the same thing as you so we all understand it is very hard to be patient, but you will get through it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(posted this on the Canadian thread, but it should be helpful for y'all as well) Good luck to everyone who has an interview coming up--and for those who are still waiting, don't lose hope yet :) 

I found this while checking out the 2018 threads, and found these to be similar to the questions I was asked in my interview. Clinical Psychology Potential Interview Questions: http://www2.tulane.edu/sse/psyc/news-and-events/archive/upload/InterviewQuestions.pdf Thought this might be a good starting point!

  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, futcounspsych said:

How do you add to this list?

The settings are "anyone with link can access/edit", should be open access to everyone. Maybe you need to log in with a google account? Or changes some settings on your account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mwood126 said:

The settings are "anyone with link can access/edit", should be open access to everyone. Maybe you need to log in with a google account? Or changes some settings on your account

Thank you I got it working!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have examples of questions in interviews you've experienced or heard about that were unexpected? I am trying to prepare myself for as much as possible to prevent nervous rambling if an unforeseen question catches me off guard. 

I know most are pretty straightforward (research experience, interests, etc.), but I would love to hear about any trickier questions to be prepared for.

For example, someone posted earlier in this thread about being asked to name specific publications with authors/dates/etc they had read recently (or something very similar to this). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, psychizkool said:

Does anyone have examples of questions in interviews you've experienced or heard about that were unexpected? I am trying to prepare myself for as much as possible to prevent nervous rambling if an unforeseen question catches me off guard. 

I know most are pretty straightforward (research experience, interests, etc.), but I would love to hear about any trickier questions to be prepared for.

For example, someone posted earlier in this thread about being asked to name specific publications with authors/dates/etc they had read recently (or something very similar to this). 

My first time applying, so I frantically emailed grad students/profs that I knew for tips about the interviews. Uncommon questions include:

  • What skills do you want to develop? (ie motivational interviewing)
  • **Ensure you read the papers you cited in proposals, etc. B/c they do test for that
  • Do you have a support system/how tied down are you?

Hope that helps :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, psychizkool said:

Does anyone have examples of questions in interviews you've experienced or heard about that were unexpected? I am trying to prepare myself for as much as possible to prevent nervous rambling if an unforeseen question catches me off guard. 

I know most are pretty straightforward (research experience, interests, etc.), but I would love to hear about any trickier questions to be prepared for.

For example, someone posted earlier in this thread about being asked to name specific publications with authors/dates/etc they had read recently (or something very similar to this). 

 

33 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

My first time applying, so I frantically emailed grad students/profs that I knew for tips about the interviews. Uncommon questions include:

  • What skills do you want to develop? (ie motivational interviewing)
  • **Ensure you read the papers you cited in proposals, etc. B/c they do test for that
  • Do you have a support system/how tied down are you?

Hope that helps :) 

I have been asked the first one before. Though they phrased it more like specific things I wanted to learn about in grad school (i.e. statistical analyses and research methodologies). I've also been asked:

  • how I would manage my time as a grad student between classes, research, teaching responsibilities, and etc.
  • what my dream research project would be if there were no restrictions/constraints regarding resources (I've been asked this a few times)
  • and vice versa, a research project I could pursue that would be feasible for a first year graduate student (i.e. with limited resources)

Most of the other questions I've been asked were about my research experiences and interests, as well as why I was interested in their lab specifically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, flattery_245 said:

as anyone gotten invites to interviews that are on the same date, and you want to attend both? What do you do?

Check out this thread: 

 

:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.