2019 Graduate Entrants

quineonthevine

1 hour ago, antianticlimacus said:

I've had this horrible feeling that I've played this all wrong and just should have applied to MA programs. First cycle here as well and not having it. 

lol I had that freak out today ? how many schools did you apply to?

2 hours ago, antianticlimacus said:

I've had this horrible feeling that I've played this all wrong and just should have applied to MA programs. First cycle here as well and not having it. 

32 minutes ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

It sucks. I put in another MA application yesterday, half as a safety precaution and half to ease the tension a bit. 

Did y'all try WMU? https://wmich.edu/philosophy/academics/graduate/admission Deadline Feb 15.

Edited by Duns Eith

3 hours ago, antianticlimacus said:

6 PhD programs and 4 MAs which feels really light compared with what I've seen on here.

yeah I applied to 8 phds and I’ve been questioning whether I should have sprinkled in some masters/applied to more programs

Edited by gradhopeful96

9 hours ago, Anti-Climacus said:

? This is my first time through this process and my anxiety disorder is going off the charts rn. 

8 hours ago, gradhopeful96 said:

haha same!! First cycle and I just really really don’t want to do another

Just wanted to note, I had similar worries when applying last year - it seemed very difficult to even imagine getting things together to reapply. But once the dust settled on the decisions phase and I hadn't received any viable offers, I got in touch with my letter-writers; they were all supportive about reapplying, and I had a good Skype conversation with my advisor in which we strategized about things that could be tweaked and improved. I also got to spend a fair amount of time over the year reading and strengthening areas of philosophy that I had wanted to learn more about, as well as look up more references for my writing sample (and I'd be surprised if anyone here didn't suddenly think up ways to improve their sample right after submitting it!). And of course, having an extra year also gave me more time to do some non-philosophy things and broaden my outlook generally. All of that allowed me to plan a little in advance and organize my material better in the run-up to this year, with the result that I feel much better-prepared to do things this year, regardless of how the results go this time.

Which is all just to say, I hope you both have successful cycles and get into great places this year, but even if you don't, the only way is up! Do your best not to worry, because these decisions are all only the short-run anyway. :)

5 hours ago, antianticlimacus said:

I end up saying this a lot, but I think the process is sufficiently random that you never know who's going to like your application. So definitely don't beat yourself up about applying to more difficult places!

On 5/20/2018 at 7:08 PM, a ravenclaw said:

AOI: moral, social and political philosophy, feminist philosophy. The (current) list of programs: Brandeis, GSU, SFSU, Tufts, UW- Milwaukee, Calgary, SFU, Toronto, UBC, Western.

Please let me know if I missed any master program that has faculty members working in my AOI.

You should consider Virginia Tech as well. I'm at GSU doing Social/Political. Virginia Tech has some solid people in this area and I hear they offer more funding. 

I see some posters wishing they'd applied to more MA programs.

I'm at GSU right now, which is a top program, especially for Minds/Soc+Pol/German & Continental. It is fully funded with assistantships, and the deadline is rolling after Feb 15. 

3 minutes ago, introosive.thot said:

I'm at GSU right now, which is a top program, especially for Minds/Soc+Pol/German & Continental. It is fully funded with assistantships, and the deadline is rolling after Feb 15. 

I did apply to GSU! Their program looks to be a great fit for me, so I'm very hopeful about my admissions prospects. 

1 hour ago, introosive.thot said:

Just a heads up, website says the initial deadline is tomorrow, Feb 1st!

For folks considering Virginia Tech, or who didn't originally consider it, know that they had to literally ask people to apply last year (after the initial date as well I think) since they had so many people turn them down. In the end they still didn't have enough people accept so they had to get non-philosophy grad students to be TAs in order to cover all the classes. If you think you are a good candidate, submit an application! They've picked up some awesome people in the last few years (even if there are hiccups as there are at every institution).

21 minutes ago, nonbeingandsomethingness said:

Hi y'all 

So I haven't been accepted or rejected from UNC. What does this mean?! Does UNC normally reject all at once? 

This is giving me anxiety lol 

There is some theory that they (sometimes) keep a few folks in limbo as an unofficial waitlist of sorts. It has been denied at times, but in 2013 it was confirmed by LA Paul in an email (allegedly). Other years they have an explicit waitlist. That said, sometimes the rejections come in waves and on back to back days. But, don't give up hope yet!

42 minutes ago, MtnDuck said:

There is some theory that they (sometimes) keep a few folks in limbo as an unofficial waitlist of sorts. It has been denied at times, but in 2013 it was confirmed by LA Paul in an email (allegedly). Other years they have an explicit waitlist. That said, sometimes the rejections come in waves and on back to back days. But, don't give up hope yet!

It was publicly reconfirmed two years ago by LA Paul (see first comment here: https://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2017/03/against-secret-waitlists-in-phd-admissions.html) Paul, of course, is no longer at UNC, but the policy is likely still in place.

On 1/30/2019 at 9:49 PM, Duns Eith said:

Did y'all try WMU? https://wmich.edu/philosophy/academics/graduate/admission Deadline Feb 15.

@SexandtheHaecceity, Even if nobody at WMU is in your AOI, it might not hurt to apply... WMU is good at being a "slingshot" to Leiter-ranked programs. (I got in there but couldn't think of where I would want to be slung to, so I just took my one PhD offer, which I liked anyway). If you get in and they say "Yeah, we can't help you here" (which I doubt), you've spent an application fee for a free vacation in Kalamazoo (and some great food).

12 hours ago, MtnDuck said:

Does anyone know if Northwestern does something similar? I know they've let out acceptances, waitlists, and rejections but I've received none of these... I'm hopeful that no news is good news.

21 hours ago, introosive.thot said:

I really appreciate your username ?