2019 Graduate Entrants

quineonthevine

2 hours ago, practically_mi said:

I really wonder what Brown is up to. What is taking them so long to release acceptances??

My impression was that the rejections so far were from a preliminary stage and that their acceptances will take much longer. (But I'm right there with you.)

EDIT: I see that Brown released acceptances in early February in the past, though, so I have no idea, maybe they are coming soon. Here's hoping...

Edited by Marcus_Aurelius

Applying to GSU, UH, UWM, NIU, and some PhDs. International student. Already planning what I'm going do if I'm shut out my second time. I have interests similar to the previous poster's. On that note, I must admit I've met some pretty outstanding people on here. I comfort myself with thinking that in any case there is no shame in losing to someone who deserves it better ? 

All hands on deck coming from a prestigious liberal arts school I have:

GPA 3.7 (Philosophy 3.8)

GRE 161V, 153Q, 4.0AW

I know what you're thinking ? But my sample is awesome, I promise ?

I wonder, though, if anyone on this forum majored in philosophy without writing a thesis and got into PGR schools.

Edited by markovka

2 hours ago, Marcus_Aurelius said:

My impression was that the rejections so far were from a preliminary stage and that their acceptances will take much longer. (But I'm right there with you.)

EDIT: I see that Brown released acceptances in early February in the past, though, so I have no idea, maybe they are coming soon. Here's hoping...

Here is the Brown history (2012-2018)

March 12 M February 15 F February 14 F February 13 F February 12 F February 1 W February 17 S  

I was only able to apply to four schools for PhD on this first round: NE - Lincoln, Utah, CO - Boulder, and Iowa.
Going straight from BA Philosophy.

GPA: 3.6 - GRE: 160V/152Q/4.0AW

If anything is going to carry me it will be my SOP, LOR, and Writing Sample. The last of these has been deemed very strong by external report.

2 hours ago, markovka said:

I wonder, though, if anyone on this forum majored in philosophy without writing a thesis and got into PGR schools.

No thesis writing here and Lincoln accepted me (although they are ranked outside of the top 50 PGR).

21 hours ago, nonbeingandsomethingness said:

Hi y'all 

So I haven't been accepted or rejected from UNC. What does this mean?! Does UNC normally reject all at once? 

This is giving me anxiety lol 

Hey just saw your post, wanted to say I'm in the same boat. Let's hang in there and hope we're waitlisters! That's somewhat good news at least!

51 minutes ago, ringoandme said:

Hey just saw your post, wanted to say I'm in the same boat. Let's hang in there and hope we're waitlisters! That's somewhat good news at least!

Here is hoping! That would be a dream tbh 

My worry is that we were rejected and that we won't know until the very end; have you considered reaching out? If so, at what point? 

11 minutes ago, nonbeingandsomethingness said:

My worry is that we were rejected and that we won't know until the very end; have you considered reaching out? If so, at what point? 

I actually just looked at grad cafe and found all this out today, so I haven't reached out yet (beyond an email in early January confirming they had all my materials, as my GRE score wasn't showing up). 

I think I'm going to give it until EOD Monday at the very least, and keep an eye out here for late rejections. Don't want to appear too anxious in their eyes. I imagine sending rejections is a push of a button that sends out a mass email to everyone at once, and if we were left out of that, it likely means waitlist. But that's just speculation. Please post if you decide to reach out!

3 hours ago, ringoandme said:

I actually just looked at grad cafe and found all this out today, so I haven't reached out yet (beyond an email in early January confirming they had all my materials, as my GRE score wasn't showing up). 

I think I'm going to give it until EOD Monday at the very least, and keep an eye out here for late rejections. Don't want to appear too anxious in their eyes. I imagine sending rejections is a push of a button that sends out a mass email to everyone at once, and if we were left out of that, it likely means waitlist. But that's just speculation. Please post if you decide to reach out!

Okay, that all sounds right to me! I definitely don't want to speculate that we are on a waitlist, but you never know. I agree that reaching out (especially this early) would seem really anxious. I'll keep you updated on what happens! 

24 minutes ago, HomoLudens said:

Any idea when Penn State will send out the rest of their rejections? One person posted their rejection on the forum, but all the others are interviews. I have received neither. 

No clue but I'm right there with you!

On 1/31/2019 at 9:46 PM, MtnDuck said:

There is some theory that they (sometimes) keep a few folks in limbo as an unofficial waitlist of sorts. It has been denied at times, but in 2013 it was confirmed by LA Paul in an email (allegedly). Other years they have an explicit waitlist. That said, sometimes the rejections come in waves and on back to back days. But, don't give up hope yet!

I was like this. I didn't hear from UNC until the last possible minute (April 13th), when they told me I had still been under consideration the whole cycle...and then proceeded to reject me on the 15th. 

2 minutes ago, soproperlybasic said:

I was like this. I didn't hear from UNC until the last possible minute (April 13th), when they told me I had still been under consideration the whole cycle...and then proceeded to reject me on the 15th. 

ugh I just know that's going to be me this year. I guess on the bright side, I'll have ruled them out by April 15th and will have chosen another school so it'll only feel a little bad....right? Right? ?

13 hours ago, Dysexlia said:

@ringoandme What program are you admitted to at Wake? Just curious!

Bioethics MA. Bioethics is one of the areas of specialization I'm interested in, and I had Wake Forest on my list in case I needed to get an MA before PhD, depending on how this cycle goes :)

Edit: Changed my signature in case that was confusing people!

Edited by ringoandme

On 2/1/2019 at 7:13 PM, ringoandme said:

On 2/1/2019 at 8:05 PM, nonbeingandsomethingness said:

Have either of you emailed UNC?  I was in the same boat, but just received a response to my inquiry telling me that I was rejected after all.  

1 minute ago, Love and Squalor said:

Have either of you emailed UNC?  I was in the same boat, but just received a response to my inquiry telling me that I was rejected after all.  

No, I haven't, but after your suggestion I may. I've already counted them out, so I guess if I'm game for some disappointment with extra disappointment on top, I should do it. 

3 hours ago, nonbeingandsomethingness said:

Hi yall.. need some advice.

If you can't make a visit because dates conflict with another visit is it the norm to inquire if you can come at another time? How does one navigate this? 

Thanks! 

Also wondering.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:51 PM, Love and Squalor said:

I just heard back- was told that while they were impressed with my application they still don't have a decision for me. I'm gonna take this as good news lol....