Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and I wanted to know if someone could give their honest advice and opinion on a few things. 

1) What do you think my chances are of being accepted into an IO PhD program for Fall 2019?

Here's my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.85

GRE: Haven't taken it yet but scheduled for July 2018

Research: 2 years in a psychology lab, 3 conferences, won first place at one conference

Internships: 2 years interning for an IO psychologist at a private consulting firm (also the person I conducted research under)

My undergrad university had an IO professor so I've taken courses such as  OB, Intro to IO, Learning & Psychological Testing.

2) I've been researching POI at different institutions and I would like to reach out but I am unsure of how to word it or what exactly to say. Is it improper to ask if they are accepting students next year? 

3) Can anyone give a link where I can find a good IO personal statement to guide myself? I'm having trouble figuring out how to start it off.

I really appreciate any advice or tips from any and everyone!

• 1 month later...

I don't have any insight into where you stand but I'm also looking to apply this year for IO programs! I was wondering what school's you're looking at? It's a stressful process so I think it always helps to talk about it! 

1) Looks good. I would definitely apply! You seem well-rounded in terms of both practical experience and research. Again, many good applicants each year, but it would be worth trying

2) Yes, I actually emailed that. And also told about my research interests and whether they could direct me to other people who also do research in the field

3) I'd first try to figure out whát you actually want to tell and why do you want to study this topic. Statements are very personal and vary a lot person by person. I wouldn't really look at anything before you have a clear idea of what you want to communicate first.

@londonbnd, I did surprisingly well applying to I/O programs last year. Please see the link below for some good info:

Information

Also feel free to reach out so I can give you more personalized advice. You can be the best candidate on paper but may not get an offer- don't let it get to you. Oftentimes, the candidates that get accepted are those that are the luckiest. Not to take anything away from them, they work hard to put themselves in that position. There are a lot of random effects involved. Focus on your GRE for now Resources Here. You have a strong GPA and strong credentials given your experience. Develop relationships, email the professors  you want to apply to, be aggressive; your social influence will be just as influential as your application. Though keep in mind you will be competing with masters' students, students with 1st author in a high-caliber journal, or applicants that have 3+ years experience in large consulting firms. 

The fact you joined this forum and requested information means you're off to a great start. 

Best of luck 

• 3 weeks later...

Frustrated...

I am debating about applying to a few schools again this year, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1. Masters in IO GPA 3.25 with thesis under publication review

2.Three positions in industry applying personnel selection, organizational development, analytics and so forth. 

3. Terrible, horrible GRE scores 

I applied to 12 schools last year and got some quality bites and feedback from the preferred PI's advisers that my skills were in the ballpark bu they had to go with strict requirements due to funding etc.. The frustration comes from applying to schools is highly expensive and the GRE is my weakest area simply because my base math skills are not the greatest.. How much luck have people had applying a second time after an abysmal first round of applications? 

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/30/2018 at 8:25 AM, RememberFit said:

Frustrated...

I am debating about applying to a few schools again this year, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1. Masters in IO GPA 3.25 with thesis under publication review

2.Three positions in industry applying personnel selection, organizational development, analytics and so forth. 

3. Terrible, horrible GRE scores 

I applied to 12 schools last year and got some quality bites and feedback from the preferred PI's advisers that my skills were in the ballpark bu they had to go with strict requirements due to funding etc.. The frustration comes from applying to schools is highly expensive and the GRE is my weakest area simply because my base math skills are not the greatest.. How much luck have people had applying a second time after an abysmal first round of applications? 

Thank you

GRE scores are very important. I have heard professors say they use them as the primary criteria. Research even shows GRE is highly predictive of graduate school performance (Kuncel et al., 2010). Similarly, IO psychologists are known for their quantitative abilities and graduate schools seek out students displaying mathematical aptitude.

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2018 at 3:02 PM, londonbnd said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

@psychedpsyched I plan to apply to TAMU, UGA, Rice, Florida Tech, Baruch College, GMU, and GWU. Wbu?

So sorry I kept checking this but never realized you responded! I'm applying to NC State, UGA, DePaul, Kansas State, Nebraska-Omaha, OU, and Central Michigan! 

How are people feeling about their applications? 
I am really terrified that I won't get in anywhere. I don't know what I will do if that happens as I am getting in debt just to make applications. I know the chances are good that I will be rejected by all of them since I am not an outstanding candidate. 

Is there anyone who has made applications multiple year in a row? 

6 hours ago, crovanika said:

I am really terrified that I won't get in anywhere. I don't know what I will do if that happens as I am getting in debt just to make applications. I know the chances are good that I will be rejected by all of them since I am not an outstanding candidate. 

Feeling pretty good, I have an interview tomorrow with LSU!

Also - define "outstanding candidate." Admissions committees for PhD programs in Psychology are holistic, so they take into account all your strengths and weaknesses, with different programs valuing different things. The strength of everyone else applying is equally important. I'm sure you're going to be A okay my friend! 

Being in a very good PhD program and having talked with my advisor about this - after making the initial cut it is all about FIT. Some POIs prefer people who they can train a lot (i.e., who they can still mold), others who are more experienced and need less guidance, but most important are research interests. You can have amazing credentials but still be 2nd choice because someone had more closely aligned interests.

17 hours ago, OddIsEven said:

Feeling pretty good, I have an interview tomorrow with LSU!

Also - define "outstanding candidate." Admissions committees for PhD programs in Psychology are holistic, so they take into account all your strengths and weaknesses, with different programs valuing different things. The strength of everyone else applying is equally important. I'm sure you're going to be A okay my friend! 

Congratulations! good luck with your interview!

I hope you are right. I suppose I am just realising that it is completely possible I will be rejected from every institution for precisely the reasons you mentioned. But there's no way to know, so I no point agonising over it!

6 hours ago, crovanika said:

Congratulations! good luck with your interview!

I hope you are right. I suppose I am just realising that it is completely possible I will be rejected from every institution for precisely the reasons you mentioned. But there's no way to know, so I no point agonising over it!

Thank you! The interview went really well!

I'll be pulling for you my friend. You're gonna be just fine ?

Also, did anyone applying to LSU also interview today? In addition, who is your POI? 

Edited by OddIsEven

On 12/17/2018 at 8:24 PM, OddIsEven said:

Also, did anyone applying to LSU also interview today? In addition, who is your POI? 

I am glad the interview went well! I also applied to LSU for I/O but did not have an interview yet. 

On 12/16/2018 at 11:56 PM, Psygeek said:

Being in a very good PhD program and having talked with my advisor about this - after making the initial cut it is all about FIT. Some POIs prefer people who they can train a lot (i.e., who they can still mold), others who are more experienced and need less guidance, but most important are research interests. You can have amazing credentials but still be 2nd choice because someone had more closely aligned interests.

Be careful with advice like this, especially for I-O programs. The top programs differ on this not only between-schools, but between faculty at the department-level as well. Some schools do not follow a mentorship model where you have a primary advisor (e.g. Michigan State - you're expected to work with multiple faculty), and even at the schools that do have primary advisors, the faculty do not agree with each other on importance of fit. They are also not oblivious to the fact that your interests will likely change throughout your schooling (especially when you haven't taken the coursework yet). Be as honest as you can if you get an interview. There are no absolutes when it comes to the application process for I-O programs. The fit is perhaps more important for you as the student if you are dead-set in what you want to do, because you want a professor who can train you in what you want to do as well as possible.

On 12/16/2018 at 3:24 PM, crovanika said:

Hello, this is my second cycle for Ph.D. programs. (3rd if you count my masters' search) I actually got 3 offers last year and 1 more I barely missed out on but I turn them down because I did not feel they were the correct one for me. So I made the tough decision of reapplying this cycle which has good and bad to it:

Good:

I have gotten into programs before!

My profile has gotten stronger in terms of conference presentation/research

I finished my masters so I have a final GPA.

My GPA in both UG and Grad School is strong. Even stronger just looking at my major GPA for UG

I am a minority candidate who was the first in the family to graduate cool

I have a lot of volunteer experience helping out disadvantaged populations 

I also have teaching experience as well

LOR I think are strong, Got one from my thesis advisor, the professor I worked with in lab and my supervisor in my internship in an I/O field

My diversity statement and SOP are much better written this cycle

Bad:

Since I turn down those schools I have even fewer options to apply to this cycle (I wish we could be counseling psych and have over 150 programs we can apply too ?)

I am also a bit more location fixed in that I rather go to a more urban city or at least not a small college town which again lower my sc.hool choice

I applied to 8 schools and 4 of them feel sort of reach school so I am worried I won't get an interview from them at all ?

While I have research experience I feel it still lacks compared to other top candidates. If I am generous I can say I have 2 years of research experience counting master thesis+ Lab

No publications

Relevant work experience is sort of weak.

So my head is telling me I just have to get 1 offer and it's good but my heart is a nervous wreck. Going through this 2 times does offer me a different experience. Best of luck to all and it will probably be a long wait since I/O likes to take a while lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I'm a current I/O PhD student and wanted to send good luck your way with your applications this season. I went through this process three times (so I understand your stress) and on the third try I was finally accepted into a PhD program. Congrats to all of you who are accepted and to those that aren't I have a video of my story and tips for next time here https://youtu.be/F9yxwWgQ71g

If you all have any questions feel free to send them my way. Again good luck everyone and well wishes into your journey :).

Jess

10 hours ago, azumarills said:

Whoever updated about hearing back from UGA, did you get an email through the MyID thing, or the email you submitted when making the application?

I am curious about the same thing! 

On 12/17/2018 at 9:24 PM, OddIsEven said:

I also had an interview with LSU a couple weeks back! I thought it went pretty well, but I didn't make the interview weekend unfortunately. My POI is Dr. Williamson Smith, I really enjoyed speaking with her. 

I've applied to: BGSU, LSU, SLU, AUBURN, CLEMSON, IUPUI, PURDUE, NIU (Master's), UGA, Univ. Illinois Champaign-Urbana, Texas A&M. 

Has anyone else heard back from anywhere yet? 

Edited by Savannah_C